Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th March 2016, 21:55   #101
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc3725 View Post
Blimey this club must have the best drivers in the UK by all the near misses but funnilly enough no one admitting to nearly causing an incident
I take it you didnt read all of the posts?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 05:43   #102
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Blimey this club must have the best drivers in the UK by all the near misses but funnilly enough no one admitting to nearly causing an incident

Without exception we all make mistakes or have lapses in concentration even the most IAM qualified speed response driver. What makes a decent driver isnt the ones who think they are the best drivers in the world but the ones who try and keep a 360 degree vigil going when they are are driving so when something occurs they are aware and take action to avoid.

Rant over

Back to the OPs question. I was very lucky a few years ago. I was going faster than the average R75 driver (by all accounts on this thread) in my Supra on a local duel carriageway. A boy racer in his Astra something (Sri or something similar) decided to race me. This is not unusual when Im in the Supra and I dont get bated. Anyway I drive over the crest of the hill only to see a queue of traffic up ahead. I have to brake heavilly to decrease the Leptons so I can stop in time. When braking I always check my rear view mirror (remember that 360 degree comment) and see in my mirrors a load of tyre smoke coming off the Astra. I look to my left and a lorry has left a gap in front of him so I pull over. Said Astra went skidding past me and took out the car in front of me and a couple of cars in front of that.

Me I had no damage what so ever and was just a witness. The lad in the Astra had to be cut out and the women in the car in front of me who got rear ended had to have a neck brace.

The policeman called me a naughty word for doing what I did but did comemend me on my vision and reactions.

I was very lucky that day
I did on another thread somewhere when I almost ran into car in front as I was distracted by seeing a jugger-naught coming out of side road. full 2mtr skid and stopped a foot away. At least ABS and brakes worked, but........Pay Attention Kennyeth and all of you too.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 06:48   #103
Scaramanga
I really should get out more.......

Firefrost 75 CDTi Conn SE manual Tourer

Hi Jon

Im sure none of us would claim to be perfect or error free behind the wheel. I'm certainly not

We are all human

Today's roads can be a frustrating and at times, downright dangerous place to be.

This thread is merely to share the frustration and in doing so, get it off your chest

Funny things that happen are also welcome too.
3. Midnight Blue 2.5 V6 auto Saloon- 'The 5th Gear Car' - Now owned by another forum member
4. Firefrost CDTi manual Tourer
Lee

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 08:17   #104
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
In my very early driving career, there were a gaggle of school kids on the footpath on my left and a policeman, with the then usual white sleeves they used for traffic control.

As I approached, my attention was fully on the policeman, expecting him to move out to stop the traffic. I was so obsessed with watching him and expecting him to step out, I completely failed to spot the lollipop lady + the kids following her out who did step out, until almost too late. I had to do an emergency, scared the lady, the kids and enraged the policeman.

Useful lesson learned - never focus your entire attention on one thing, keep scanning.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 08:25   #105
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
In my very early driving career, there were a gaggle of school kids on the footpath on my left and a policeman, with the then usual white sleeves they used for traffic control.
That was a while ago, once the Officer donned the white sleeves, that meant they had control of the crossing until they took them off, regardless of whoever was with them.

Luckily for me and my family once, with that 360° awareness, I spotted a juggernaut hammering up behind me in the inside lane of a motorway, and as I took to the hard shoulder he carried on at the same speed in the same lane passing us.

Treat everybody as an idiot and learn from everything.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 08:57   #106
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Not by any means do I consider myself to be a perfect driver, but what has kept me out of trouble on numerous occasions is to be defensive and try to anticipate others drivers intensions, and thinking this way has saved me loads of times.

Rev Jules.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 10:41   #107
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Banana has had 5, yes 5, encounters.
And they all reacted the same way, "Sorry mate but I didn't see you."

Not once was I responsible, other than driving a Yellow car.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 11:38   #108
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE + 1947 Morris 8

A couple of years ago I stopped at a roundabout in Arbroath wating for a break in the traffic.

I was in the left lane which had a white arrow pointing left (to turn left) and an arrow pointing forward (to go straight ahead). I was going straight on. The right lane had an arrow pointing forward (to go straight ahead) and an arrow pointing right (to go round to the right).

In the right lane next to me was a small van. There was a break in the traffic and we both moved forward, but without indication the van turned sharp left! We both stopped, front ends just inches apart, wound the windows down, and he screamed at me, "What do you think you are doing?" I mentioned that he didn't indicate, and if he wanted to turn left he was in the wrong lane. He then yelled back that I was a moron, and he had priority as he was in the "fast" lane!

My gast was well and truly flabbered. Did I miss something in the Highway Code?

Fifer
Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 19:26   #109
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
Nobody is perfect, I don't believe that there is any driver who has not made a mistake when driving.

BUT - in my opinion there is a big difference between making an honest mistake and deliberately breaking the rules of the road.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 20:52   #110
RoverRyan
Avid contributor

Rover 75

I have had a couple of incidents over the last weekend, the other day driving through town I completely missed a zebra crossing looked in my mirror and saw the light on red so I assume I just went straight through it not very good at all, I was actually paying attention to the plonkers on the other side of it as there where cars here there and everywhere and I was planning my route through them.
and today getting on to the A38 off the sliproad I look in the mirror a car moves over, I move over (not fully in the lane though), next thing beeeeeeeeeeeep and the car has moved back again and overtakes me half and half between lanes.
I said to my Dad who was with me what am I supposed to do about that if he moves over clearing the way then surely I can go, I think another car must have been in his way. what a %*@!
not proud of these incidents its all a part of driving.

My Car...

was the 97,610th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
was the 2,001st 75 1.8 T Connoisseur to be made out of 2,392
was the 10,746th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
RoverRyan is offline   Reply With Quote