Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st December 2016, 20:28   #401
Alex30013k
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon 2.0 CDTi Conn Se

Ive had my EGR black pipe on for well over 200K and guess what, not touched single thing with my engine.
Alex30013k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 20:33   #402
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Indeed Alex and similarly I've had my original EGR fitted to my Tourer ( now on 200k)

The vacuum was disabled at 45k miles and has remained clean and trouble free ever since

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 20:34   #403
t5tart
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT cdti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Agree with Harry.
Block off vacuum pipe with a ball bearing or a smooth shanked woodscrew.
(always makes me chuckle when I see a self tapper in there. These are not air tight!!!)

A bypass is a waste of money and contrary to belief will not allow any more air into engine.
if the self tapper is big enough and cutting into the pipe and then clipped it should be as air tight ?

check your sunroof drains and plenum drains http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/1609.gif

t5tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 21:06   #404
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRS View Post
Certainly cleaner on the engine to bypass it... its like breathing in your own farts... nobody wants that.
That's OK then, we can all breathe in more NOx instead.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 22:41   #405
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Couldn't have put it better meself Russ !

K&N and other so called "performance" filters basically have larger material pitched holes so they don't filter the air properly.

So driving through a cloud of gritty roadworks dust would be a cringe factor for my engine if I had one fitted

The only way to introduce a performance filter for petrol engines retaining the fine filtration properties of OEM would be to make it twice the size (rather impractical)

Performance filters on diesels as said before are futile

Surely a K+N filter has a smaller size of hole in it? The spec suggests that it filters to a smaller micron density not only that it is a wet filter not a dry filter thus making it much more sticky.
I have run K+N filters for over twenty years and find that they trap much more muck per mile than a standard dry paper filter. Usually takes me half an hour to clean my air filter every five to six thousand miles and that is with solvent washers and compressed air in the workshop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 06:01   #406
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
That's OK then, we can all breathe in more NOx instead.
This is why i keep myself away from emissions threads etc, it always upsets someone and the last thing i want to do is wobble the apple cart with folks like yourself who have given me plenty of advice.

Covert i actually meant that the EGR system is there to reduce NOx gasses not that blanking it off would reduce NOx... i wrote my post a little too quick and being honest shouldnt have got involved.
Its all down to what you feel comfortable with, VAG and many others have been getting away with emmisions bypassing for years, you think the latest scam to hit the headline is the first time?
Nahhh they just got caught, after the whole VAG scandal a lot of other car manufactures were found to be doing the same.
Im not saying that i condone blanking of the EGR and the resluted increase in NOx, all im saying is the percentage of 75/ZT owners that probably do do this is really not going to make a grand bit of difference overall when you directly compare to the overall scandal on emissions in general by the likes of VAG etc.

And you could say well if everyone thought like that then it would make a difference and that again is very true, but not everyone does and even with the higher NOx count its still cleaner than buying a Prius as to actually make the batteries is more pollutant than driving a normal diesel car for 25yrs.... and they still haven't really found a proper way to dispose of all these "batteries" in years to come.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 06:19   #407
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
This is why i keep myself away from emissions threads etc, it always upsets someone and the last thing i want to do is wobble the apple cart with folks like yourself who have given me plenty of advice..
No problem at all Tom. As I see it everyone is free to do whatever they want to their cars.

Only reason I mention it is that there are some non technically minded owners who read these threads and aren't aware of why the EGR system was fitted in the first place.

Armed with the facts, they can then make an informed decision on whether they want to blank it off or not.

Must admit, I'm surprised that the powers that be haven't brought in a proper analytical emissions test for diesels instead of the current visible smoke test.

They have been banging on for some time now about pollution from diesel engines.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 06:53   #408
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
No problem at all Tom. As I see it everyone is free to do whatever they want to their cars.

Only reason I mention it is that there are some non technically minded owners who read these threads and aren't aware of why the EGR system was fitted in the first place.

Armed with the facts, they can then make an informed decision on whether they want to blank it off or not.

Must admit, I'm surprised that the powers that be haven't brought in a proper analytical emissions test for diesels instead of the current visible smoke test.

They have been banging on for some time now about pollution from diesel engines.
Most certainly agreed Mike! its a funny one.. its almost like they are kicking the heals about it.
I think its a lot more political than they lead us to believe... the Hydrogen car that Honda made, that suddenly vanished without a trace very soon after its conception.
Cars make money, road tax etc.. its just a business that the goverment profit on.
But thats a deep topic for a Thursday morning hahahaha
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 14:17   #409
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
This is why i keep myself away from emissions threads etc, it always upsets someone and the last thing i want to do is wobble the apple cart with folks like yourself who have given me plenty of advice.

Colvert i actually meant that the EGR system is there to reduce NOx gasses not that blanking it off would reduce NOx... i wrote my post a little too quick and being honest shouldn't have got involved.
Its all down to what you feel comfortable with, VAG and many others have been getting away with emissions bypassing for years, you think the latest scam to hit the headline is the first time?
Nahhh they just got caught, after the whole VAG scandal a lot of other car manufactures were found to be doing the same.
I'm not saying that i condone blanking of the EGR and the resluted increase in NOx, all i'm saying is the percentage of 75/ZT owners that probably do do this is really not going to make a grand bit of difference overall when you directly compare to the overall scandal on emissions in general by the likes of VAG etc.

And you could say well if everyone thought like that then it would make a difference and that again is very true, but not everyone does and even with the higher NOx count its still cleaner than buying a Prius as to actually make the batteries is more pollutant than driving a normal diesel car for 25yrs.... and they still haven't really found a proper way to dispose of all these "batteries" in years to come.
As Mike says, folk can do as they want.

Personally, for all the difference it would make to me, I'll leave the system as Rover meant it to be.

The slight gains or losses don't seem to be worth the trouble of changing things.

My car seems to run from 55 mpg to 65 mpg all the year round.

Partly, I guess, because I live in France and don't see anything like the traffic jams that there are in England.--Lol.

Maybe the placebo effect does do people a bit of good.--------
Whether they do have gains or not.-------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 20:47   #410
ShaunB
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

I fitted a bypass to my MG ZTT soon after I bought it after reading about the advantages here it did not seem any different I ran it for a couple of thousand miles then have just returned it to standard with the egr valve and it definitely feels better it idles a lot smoother pick up from part throttle is better seems smoother altogether total opposite to what is said in this thread has anyone actually compared the standard and bypass on a rolling road ?
ShaunB is offline   Reply With Quote