Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th January 2020, 09:53   #11
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Strange that the steering lock doesn't come on when you turn the wheel - it should do so that may be your problem.

Try straightening a paper clip out and bend the last 2mm over at a right angle. Push it down into the lock and rake anything jammed back out.

If nothing comes to light I'd squirt some WD40 down there just in case anything has seized up. I know this isn't usually the done thing, but I've done it before with 100% success on a Rover 400.
Thanks Mike. I'll post a few pics before trying to do anything with the lock.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 10:40   #12
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
....... Before I do anything I'll try and get a macro shot of the lock and post it here. .....
A few pics - they're not much help - I still can't see what the key is hitting. This is quite a big macro lens (on a DSLR) and it blocks the light if I move the camera upwards to look further into the barrel.

Last edited by Blink; 13th January 2020 at 10:54..
Old 13th January 2020, 11:10   #13
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Just tried pencil graphite on the end of the key blade and no difference.

Off to try raking out with a paperclip.
Old 13th January 2020, 11:36   #14
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Just tried pencil graphite on the end of the key blade and no difference.

Off to try raking out with a paperclip.
Nothing raked out with the 2mm bend on a paperclip apart from the odd speck of dirt.

I can see a bright metal shape lurking further down the tunnel though, it's out of focus in the pic below (red arrow is pointing to it) - looks like part of the actual lock mechanism to me. I think this might be what's stopping the key going in - maybe it should slide out of the way as the key touches it (?). It doesn't budge if I poke it with the paperclip.

Old 13th January 2020, 11:40   #15
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

simon keep us up to date on how its going on as i would like to see the reason your key wont insert the barrel for future reference rgds mark
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 13:08   #16
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

After reading a couple of other threads on the subject I just put one of the original Valeo keys in until it came up against the obstruction mentioned above, then I tapped the end of the fob with a nylon hammer. The key went all the way in and the engine started (loudly since no back box) - I stopped it and took the key out but the steering wheel still turned from full left lock to full right lock. I did the same thing several times and the steering lock still wouldn't kick in.

Next, I smacked the black ignition switch surround with the palm of my hand - this sent things back to square one, i.e. the key won't go in again. Another tap on the Valeo fob and it goes in. After doing this a few times, the key goes in but now the car thinks it's been broken into so "ENGINE DISABLED" comes up on the IPK and the engine won't start. What fun.

I don't trust this ignition switch at all now. The keyhole cover doesn't flip back when the key is out and the steering lock has gone completely AWOL.
Old 13th January 2020, 13:44   #17
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

I had a similar issue with the steering lock not engaging and it turned out to be a faulty barrel although the key would go in. Now you can get the key in , I would take out the barrel and see if you can ascertain the problem . Its a few years ago now but I got a new barrel via Xpart coded to the VIN , so all the original keys still fitted.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 16:14   #18
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Thumbs down Another stupid connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverP480 View Post
I had a similar issue with the steering lock not engaging and it turned out to be a faulty barrel although the key would go in. Now you can get the key in , I would take out the barrel and see if you can ascertain the problem . Its a few years ago now but I got a new barrel via Xpart coded to the VIN , so all the original keys still fitted.
Thanks Derek.

I got the barrel out of the column (after much prodding with a paper clip) and the steering locked straight away.

The steering lock is operated by a sprung-loaded metal ring that surrounds a rectangular recess/hole on the column* - pressing the ring in the right place engages or disengages the steering lock.

* There's a rectangular metal protrusion on the back of the barrel that locates in this hole. When you turn the key the protrusion turns the hole and that's what operates the switch to start the engine.

The barrel is now dangling from the column by two orange transponder wires - mainly because I can't get the pesky ****** connector to come out of its socket on the plastic transponder housing/ring (YWD100040).

And it's raining again.
Old 13th January 2020, 18:30   #19
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

I left the transponder connected.The transponder ring should just prise off the barrel.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 19:00   #20
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Thanks Derek.

I got the barrel out of the column (after much prodding with a paper clip) and the steering locked straight away.

The steering lock is operated by a sprung-loaded metal ring that surrounds a rectangular recess/hole on the column* - pressing the ring in the right place engages or disengages the steering lock.

* There's a rectangular metal protrusion on the back of the barrel that locates in this hole. When you turn the key the protrusion turns the hole and that's what operates the switch to start the engine.

Quote:
The barrel is now dangling from the column by two orange transponder wires - mainly because I can't get the pesky ****** connector to come out of its socket on the plastic transponder housing/ring
(YWD100040).

And it's raining again.
Hi Simon.
yes they are hard to pull out those two little wires with its connector, there is a prong/tang holding it in use some long nose pliers you have to pull fairly hard, insertion is very easy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC14162.jpg (121.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14163.jpg (115.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14164.jpg (115.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14166.jpg (123.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14167.jpg (116.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14168.jpg (111.5 KB, 50 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote