Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st January 2020, 13:15   #1
BarneyB

Rover 75 Tourer SE

Default A wet boot

Hey guys, happy new year to yall!

So its looking pretty soggy back there, filling up the wee cubby hole in the back left of the boot and running down into the spare wheel well. I've read about the rear light clusters getting gappy and letting some wet in so had a look at mine. No seals to speak of in there but there is a metal panel join (near the top of the cluster) that has been sealed up before which is now deteriorating.
Is this the likely ingress point or am i off target?
Thanks in advance
Barney
BarneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2020, 13:21   #2
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyB View Post
Hey guys, happy new year to yall!

So its looking pretty soggy back there, filling up the wee cubby hole in the back left of the boot and running down into the spare wheel well. I've read about the rear light clusters getting gappy and letting some wet in so had a look at mine. No seals to speak of in there but there is a metal panel join (near the top of the cluster) that has been sealed up before which is now deteriorating.
Is this the likely ingress point or am i off target?
Thanks in advance
Barney
Barney

Most probably the rear light seals, but water might also be coming in from a number of other areas, rear window, or possibly the rear side trim clips, do a search on the forum and you will see what other members have done to stop water ingress.

You can also get some new rear light seals from

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ht=Light+Seals

Would definitely be looking at fitting seals first

Hope that helps

Stu

Project Gruple http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213155
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2020, 13:24   #3
BarneyB

Rover 75 Tourer SE

Cheers Stu
Forgot to mention I have a tourer....if that makes a difference.
When I removed the rear cluster I didnt see any seals?
BarneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2020, 13:26   #4
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyB View Post
Cheers Stu
Forgot to mention I have a tourer....if that makes a difference.
When I removed the rear cluster I didnt see any seals?
Barney

Then you do not have seals if you have a tourer, check the side trim panel, as if clips broken then they will let water in, best way to sort out problem is add a very small amount of sealant to the clips.

Stu

Project Gruple http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213155
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2020, 13:36   #5
Falcon Flyer
Gets stuck in

R75 CDTi Auto Conn SE Mk1 Saloon

Default Split seam sealant...

I've recently cured a long term boot leak after I found some split seam sealant at the top of the rear left wing, up near the rear windscreen.

I had previously done all the usual 'fixes'....rear gaskets, sealed in all the chrome attachment points, even removed the rear window to replace all the screen clips.
I also removed, cleaned, and siliconed in both the boot vent panels.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bo6BTqb9VVCg4y5L8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tEyo9DBfW8ArYBac7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KcdBskkafxffswS88
https://photos.app.goo.gl/h2hVBXf87xvworWcA
Old 5th January 2020, 12:19   #6
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

i recently changed the rear light seals which were the originals. however the cause of my leak was slight tear and damage to boot seal. i fixed this with automotive sealant and it's been fine since. just check it and look under it for tell tale rust or dampness under the seal.
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2020, 11:13   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
i recently changed the rear light seals which were the originals. however the cause of my leak was slight tear and damage to boot seal. i fixed this with automotive sealant and it's been fine since. just check it and look under it for tell tale rust or dampness under the seal.
The OP has a tourer.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2020, 21:27   #8
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
I was plagued by a boot leak in my ZT 260 saloon. The garage was just not interested and tried to sell me a new car. This forum was a massive, massive indispensable help to me. The boot collecting water is a multi-faceted problem.
I started with Arctic's sunroof drain mod which is essential. Big reduction in water in the car. I replaced the tail light gaskets and siliconed the rear vents...further useful reduction in water, but... still water in the boot. I sealed the rear side trim strips, still water in the boot. I replaced the lower rear windscreen trim clips, all eight. (It's possible without removing the windscreen if you trim the clips carefully & I placed a little silicone there too). Still water in the boot although a bit less. I read every thread on the forum on water leaks and had done everything, so I bought a new boot seal even though my original looked OK, just a little rust underneath which I cleaned off....still water in the boot. Checked all the plenum drains and the rear boot hinges...all OK but water in the boot. I took all the trim out and got my son to pour UV dyed water over the car from a big watering can while I was in the boot with a UV light. Didn't find anything.
Checked the boot hinge alignment. OK but still water ingress.

I did notice that my 2004 car had a factory installed rubber drain tube hidden under the battery plate in the boot...tantamount to MG admitting they had a boot water ingress problem/design flaw they just couldn't work out!
Then in frustration I silicone sealed the brand new boot seal the entire length of where it fits over the steel boot lip.
Instant fix of remaining leak and the car has been dry ever since. Just took patience to dry out the foam and carpets!
Posting this for what it's worth...my opinion is that heavy rain in particular (or going through a car wash) just backed up water in the drainage channel around the boot lip as it became overwhelmed by the flow. It then was able to leak around the new seal from the underneath until I siliconed it.
If you have a boot leak, you can fix it. Get familiar with this forum and read all of the great advice from everyone who takes time to post their experiences and advice. Thanks to all posters.
Good luck!
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2020, 21:56   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
I was plagued by a boot leak in my ZT 260 saloon. The garage was just not interested and tried to sell me a new car. This forum was a massive, massive indispensable help to me. The boot collecting water is a multi-faceted problem.
I started with Arctic's sunroof drain mod which is essential. Big reduction in water in the car. I replaced the tail light gaskets and siliconed the rear vents...further useful reduction in water, but... still water in the boot. I sealed the rear side trim strips, still water in the boot. I replaced the lower rear windscreen trim clips, all eight. (It's possible without removing the windscreen if you trim the clips carefully & I placed a little silicone there too). Still water in the boot although a bit less. I read every thread on the forum on water leaks and had done everything, so I bought a new boot seal even though my original looked OK, just a little rust underneath which I cleaned off....still water in the boot. Checked all the plenum drains and the rear boot hinges...all OK but water in the boot. I took all the trim out and got my son to pour UV dyed water over the car from a big watering can while I was in the boot with a UV light. Didn't find anything.
Checked the boot hinge alignment. OK but still water ingress.

I did notice that my 2004 car had a factory installed rubber drain tube hidden under the battery plate in the boot...tantamount to MG admitting they had a boot water ingress problem/design flaw they just couldn't work out!
Then in frustration I silicone sealed the brand new boot seal the entire length of where it fits over the steel boot lip.
Instant fix of remaining leak and the car has been dry ever since. Just took patience to dry out the foam and carpets!
Posting this for what it's worth...my opinion is that heavy rain in particular (or going through a car wash) just backed up water in the drainage channel around the boot lip as it became overwhelmed by the flow. It then was able to leak around the new seal from the underneath until I siliconed it.
If you have a boot leak, you can fix it. Get familiar with this forum and read all of the great advice from everyone who takes time to post their experiences and advice. Thanks to all posters.
Good luck!
That's a really interesting write up and could help many saloon owners.---

The OP, BarneyB has a tourer.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote