Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th October 2019, 06:44   #1
john116
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Project Drive savings?

Wondering how much per car Rover saved from implementing Project Drive? There must have been some costs to implement that offset the savings as well.
john116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2019, 16:50   #2
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I have no idea on Project Drive but I was once told an interesting story.

Ford used to employ a person to think of ways to save money on making cars. When asked ''does he save much'' the example was given on one idea he came up with.

Apparently on one model of Ford made in the US they noticed that there 4 screws holding something in the door, the holes needed drilling and tapping and the screw needed to be purchased and of course fitted.

It was decided not to fit one of the 4 screws and it apparently saved in excess of $250,000

This is probably an extreme as Ford make a lot more cars that MGR used to make but it just goes to show when you are making large volumes of anything how much can be saved. Its not just the cost of the item but the cost of the labour and if they can speed the line up maybe they will have enough time to make another car?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2019, 06:29   #3
john116
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Yes, understand on LARGE volumes, which is why it seemed a fairly pointless exercise to do on the Rover 75.
john116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2019, 07:44   #4
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john116 View Post
Yes, understand on LARGE volumes, which is why it seemed a fairly pointless exercise to do on the Rover 75.
There were over 238,000 Rover 75 and MGZT models produced and going bust wasn't part of MGR's financial plan.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2019, 17:22   #5
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

from bits I've read up main dealers were unhappy that the cars had been cheepened by the changes. stuff like no spare wheel, lousy audio equipment and thinner carpets, fake dash eta. it made the cars noteably less desirable. mgr were at this stage in a dire place but I wonder if this was necessary
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2019, 18:08   #6
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

If you had never had a pre-project drive car, would you have noticed the difference? The post-project drive cars still had a far nicer interior and quality than most of the opposition. They were stuck between a rock and a hard place, BMW decided that pulling out was the best option, after that it was just a matter of time.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2019, 18:45   #7
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
from bits I've read up main dealers were unhappy that the cars had been cheepened by the changes. stuff like no spare wheel, lousy audio equipment and thinner carpets, fake dash eta. it made the cars noteably less desirable. mgr were at this stage in a dire place but I wonder if this was necessary
I've refitted a some of the PPD bits back to my Mk2 ZT - most recently the carpet, don't know if it's actually thicker or not but it looks and feels a lot better than the wiry type that was fitted to Mk2. The Mk1/PPD car does seem to have better quality fittings, I'm considering a monogram dash so might use this as an opportunity to fit a Mk1 version.

I guess it's really penny pinching when you're removing the coloured spots off the air vent controls...
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2019, 19:58   #8
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Not ZTs/ 75s, but other cars in the rover range I think the difference is noticeable, and makes the cars a lot worse. Soundproofing is the biggest gripe. The difference between my 214 and late 25 was significant, and I’ve added some soundproofing to the 25, but still not as good as the 214 was. The other gripe is no illuminated ring on the ignition unit. A real nuisance for these dark evenings.