Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st October 2017, 13:50   #1
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Default rear door card clips and lock position indicator

Hi,

My rear door card needs a clip in the top right position. I've go some cheap yellow clips on Ebay which for another job and these don't work. I've read about red fir tree clips etc and have information overload now. Can anyone please quickly point me to a supplier and correct part?

Also the small indicator that pops up and down and shows the lock status (goes through the top of the window sill) has become disconnected. Can someone tell me how to reconnect please?

Many thanks.

James
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2017, 13:59   #2
dbt01
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
Hi,

My rear door card needs a clip in the top right position. I've go some cheap yellow clips on Ebay which for another job and these don't work. I've read about red fir tree clips etc and have information overload now. Can anyone please quickly point me to a supplier and correct part?

Also the small indicator that pops up and down and shows the lock status (goes through the top of the window sill) has become disconnected. Can someone tell me how to reconnect please?

Many thanks.

James
Pretty sure the fir-tree (originally red) is EKM100270. Rimmers/X-Part.
dbt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2017, 14:04   #3
dbt01
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
Hi,

.... Can someone tell me how to reconnect please?

Many thanks.

James
The rod if that is what you are talking about, has a short 'L' shape at its lower end which you push into the green clip on the lock unit. There is a 'Maltese Cross' shape groove on that clip having two 'shoulders ears' on each arm of the cross which will clip over the vertical part of the rod immediately above the L-bend as you push it in. Difficult to explain, but hope that helps!

If the rod has come out and still has the clip attached, then the green clip has pulled out of the lock unit and almost certainly broken as it did so. You cannot push it back in and hope it will hold. It will not. New green clip needed. Bad news? Not available. Good news? Everyone who has swapped out a bad door-lock will have a 'spare' one! Always fit the new clip to the lock-unit arm and push the vertical rod in afterwards. May need to remove the lock to replace a broken green clip though.

David

Last edited by dbt01; 1st October 2017 at 15:38..
Old 1st October 2017, 14:17   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Natural coloured for tree clip from rimmers, nothing else will work on the top of the door card
Old 1st October 2017, 14:29   #5
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Natural coloured for tree clip from rimmers, nothing else will work on the top of the door card
Forgive me for asking a seemingly stupid question, but 'Natural coloured ...' being exactly what colour?. Please don't say natural!.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2017, 15:04   #6
dbt01
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Maybe they are 'natural' beige now, but oddly enough mine were red on my V8. If they were 2005 or later replacement, I don't know. Broke off on removal of course, but I did replace them with reds, same as the door kick-plate ones IIRC, which APPEAR to hold it on OK.

David
Old 1st October 2017, 20:55   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBytheway View Post
Maybe they are 'natural' beige now, but oddly enough mine were red on my V8. If they were 2005 or later replacement, I don't know. Broke off on removal of course, but I did replace them with reds, same as the door kick-plate ones IIRC, which APPEAR to hold it on OK.

David
Off white "natural" are original equipment for the fir tree clips, in regards to the sill button lower clip, rotating the green clip to a point where two good tangs are facing upwards will be more than sufficient to secure the sill button rod

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2017, 22:26   #8
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks for the advice. Fir tree clip on order from Rimmers.

I've seen the lock mechanism on Ebay and the green part (this has not broken so I'm ok) so can visualise what I'm trying to do.

Two questions. Is it possible to see down to what you are doing from the top or maybe side or is it just fumbling about until you have found the right location?

Secondly once it is in place is there a technique to hold it in place so you don't dislodge it putting the door car back on.

Thanks again. Jim
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2017, 08:22   #9
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

The rod passes down through the door assy, If you hold the rod with one hand at the top of the door, pass your other hand inside the door and find the end. Feed the interior end into the clip and push it home gently, you will feel it clip in place with a thud noise, no real force is needed for this. Once in place they tend to stay put. In terms of getting the card back on, take your time getting everything ligned up properly, it helps if the window is down as far as possible, press the card into the top channel first, re-check the rest of the alignment in terms of clips to their respective holes, and ensure the wiring and handle etc is where you want them, and a good sharp bang on the armrest should securer everything into place.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2017, 08:23   #10
pletevl
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 cdti(rhd), MG ZR(lhd), MG TF(lhd), MG TF(rhd), mini mpi (lhd), Renault megane III (awful)

Don't buy the yellow fir tree clips on ebay or from china. The plastic is too hard and brittle, they just snap.

Pete.
pletevl is offline   Reply With Quote