Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd April 2018, 18:26   #1
Busboy
Loves to post

75 tourer (facelift) 2.0 CDTi

Question Halo headlights legal question.

I am considering fitting my car with halo rings within the headlights on my facelift tourer, I have noted that more owners are doing this now but I am concerned at the legalities of the fitment as far as insurance is concerned, i.e. as it may be considered to be a departure from original spec so some insurers may be a bit fussy about this. I am especially concerned as I have a classic policy and would like to hear from any members who may have had issues when telling Thier insurer of the change as of course one should do when making changes to the car especially to do with lighting.

One of the best of the last from the last of the best!
Produced on Valentine's day 2005 - 8 weeks before the end.
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2018, 18:48   #2
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busboy View Post
I am considering fitting my car with halo rings within the headlights on my facelift tourer, I have noted that more owners are doing this now but I am concerned at the legalities of the fitment as far as insurance is concerned, i.e. as it may be considered to be a departure from original spec so some insurers may be a bit fussy about this. I am especially concerned as I have a classic policy and would like to hear from any members who may have had issues when telling Thier insurer of the change as of course one should do when making changes to the car especially to do with lighting.
not sure how it works with classic insurers but if you have access to an online account to view your policy you'll see there is an option to declare DRLs. Can't image them making a difference to your premium.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2018, 19:55   #3
Busboy
Loves to post

75 tourer (facelift) 2.0 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
not sure how it works with classic insurers but if you have access to an online account to view your policy you'll see there is an option to declare DRLs. Can't image them making a difference to your premium.
Thanks Rick

I am just checking around to see if anybody has had any issues, I personally don't see any issues, but I know some insurance policies can be a bit funny but I will contact my insurer to ask them.

One of the best of the last from the last of the best!
Produced on Valentine's day 2005 - 8 weeks before the end.
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2018, 20:03   #4
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Several thousand BMW angel eye drivers are not that worried....
Old 3rd April 2018, 06:23   #5
mikesmith2
Loves to post

None

I fitted the Ford official DRL's that were fitted to the facelift version of my Kuga.

My insurance company would not insure me as it was classed as a modification not on their approved list.
mikesmith2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 06:55   #6
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT190, MG ZS TD, MGF VVC, R200 TD bubble, Austin A35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmith2 View Post
I fitted the Ford official DRL's that were fitted to the facelift version of my Kuga.

My insurance company would not insure me as it was classed as a modification not on their approved list.
Or in other words your insurance people don't have independent thought with brains of their own.. And you might as well have been talking to a machine.
^Be kind, Subscribe^ (MGR videos )
Mgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 07:08   #7
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I have even heard of some insurance companies not allowing radio upgrades, 'increases the risk of theft''.

What ever you do tell them, they are very good at trying to find an excuse not to pay out if you are unfortunate enough to need a claim. A few years ago I had a radio stolen from a car and the first thing the assessor did when he came to look at the damage to the car was check all the tyres . If they were illegal I would not have been insured he was telling me, when it was clear that the car was perfectly capable of passing an MOT he approved the repairs.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 08:52   #8
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT190, MG ZS TD, MGF VVC, R200 TD bubble, Austin A35

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I have even heard of some insurance companies not allowing radio upgrades, 'increases the risk of theft''.

What ever you do tell them, they are very good at trying to find an excuse not to pay out if you are unfortunate enough to need a claim. A few years ago I had a radio stolen from a car and the first thing the assessor did when he came to look at the damage to the car was check all the tyres . If they were illegal I would not have been insured he was telling me, when it was clear that the car was perfectly capable of passing an MOT he approved the repairs.
It's time something was done about these so called insurance company's.

If I insure an antique, the contract should be legally binding.

Same should go for car insurance. There should be an agreed price and they can't be allowed to wriggle out of it.

And when you consider that the drivers that get done over the most by insurers are those of us with the lowest value cars and are often also paying the highest premiums, its disgraceful how many times we find ourselves fighting 'them' for a pay out when it is us who have been paying out to 'them' for years. And usually though the nose.
^Be kind, Subscribe^ (MGR videos )
Mgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 15:57   #9
selwol
Regular poster

exrover75 saloon owner gone to a good home

my wifes with Sheilas wheels and when we declared £900 pounds of wide alloy wheels on her mini cooper they said thanks and we will update your policy.. no charge
selwol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 02:23   #10
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post

When I fitted them to a friends car his insurer just made a note on the policy. Haven’t had problems changing head units either. But had a bad experience when I fitted a stainless steel exhaust system to my launch car long time ago. My stainless steel exhausts were made by a man Bobby Brown who fabricated the exhaust from scratch using stainless sheet and tube. He even made cats from scratch. I have used him for passed fifty years when restoring classic cars. Had terrible trouble getting the insurers to accept the exhaust. It was only when Bobby gave me a copy of his MOD type approval for the fabrication works he did for them that suddenly the CEO of the insurance company apologised and approved the changes to the policy ending up free of charge.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote