Notices

Closed Thread

Old 25th June 2016, 11:02   #1051
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsceola View Post
You're right fathers find it important as well, I raised my 3 boys form ages 7 (twins) and 4 alone, worked p/t + state aid but like you could not bear to work full time and send boys to child minders even with state support.

They are now all in good jobs, and pay high taxes to the state in return for earlier support, and I promise you the bond between us is as strong as any maternal instinct; their mother lives an entirely separate life as she has done for past 20 years, and no she didn't leave us, we left her and never looked back.

Cat among the pigeons?

The Govt. pledged long ago to consider in parliament any on-line petition with 100,000+ votes - currently there is one on-line demanding a new referendum that requires a 75%+ turn out and a minimum 60% vote for or against staying/leaving the EU - today at 21:00hrs they already had 130,000 signatories, will be ported in press Saturday.

PS Don't shoot me only the messenger, not voted or advocating support for or against this measure.

I have used an old saying many times:
If I were to conduct a public survey asking if lollipops should have longer sticks, many people would give me support, but if I then reminded them that the lollipops would be a little bit more expensive, most would change their opinion.
The thing about online petitions, is that you can only support them, you can't vote against them. 100,000 signatures from a population of 64m is not particularly good odds.
And then of course, you have to ask, why close the stable door after the horse has bolted?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 25th June 2016, 11:24   #1052
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Fed up with the miserable nay-sayers and harbingers of impending doom?

I was reminded of the seldom spoken and moving character of these islands by seeing words from one of our great writers which typify the spirit which underpins us:
(abbreviated)

They have given us into the hand of new unhappy lords,
Lords without anger and honour, who dare not carry their swords.
They fight by shuffling papers; they have bright dead alien eyes…

We hear men speaking for us of new laws strong and sweet,
Yet is there no man speaketh as we speak in the street…

Smile at us, pay us, pass us; but do not quite forget,
For we are the people of England; who never have spoken yet.
……..

GK Chesterton 1907.

Then, take a look at a world map and consider our size compared to virtually every other country on the planet. Done it? Now consider our influence on that world and the estimation in which we are held. If you think we are done and not prepared to build, move away, there's nothing for you to see here.

Despite an avalanche of pressure our version of democracy has worked admirably. I posted earlier that 40 countries around that huge world, read future trading partners, were watching closely to see how we 'did it'. How do you think that will affect our future?

Last edited by wraymond; 25th June 2016 at 11:28..
Old 25th June 2016, 12:41   #1053
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideValve View Post
Just turned the news off. Couldn't spend another minute listening to some triumphalist nutcase rabbiting on about how now we can make our own laws instead of being dictated to by unelected bureaucrats from Brussels.

If we haven't been making our own laws what on earth is all this?
http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2015-16.html

And if the people in Brussels are unelected who are these people?
http://www.europarl.org.uk/en/your-meps.html

The saddest part for me is that the vote was swung largely by the lower paid in our society who fell for the flag waving and sound-bites.
"We" haven't got control back. We have given the right wing of the Conservative party exactly what it wanted. Freedom to ditch nuisances like working time directives, minimum pay and environmental legislation.

They'll say "The people have spoken and We will listen". That's another sound bite. It sounds good but means nothing. They will carry on selling off our public services and redistributing this countries wealth from the us to their offshore funds. Osborne has already promised more austerity. He doesn't mean for him - he means austerity for you.

Having backbone is not voting for old Etonians and stockbrokers as they feather their own nests and blame everyone else for the UKs problems.
To me, looking at our own failings and working together with our neighbours to make things better required real strength. We should have taken the lead in Europe, we didn't, by quitting we have damaged English and European interests to the benefit of Russia and China and all our competitors.

Now that it's all over bar the shouting, why don't you just sit down and look a some of the evidence?
We do make our own laws; well yes we do, but a huge amount of these laws are there simply to comply with EU directives, and there lies the other problem, the EU don't stipulate how we achieve the aim of the directive, so every time the EU comes up with a directive, we have to review, revise or add to our laws to try ensure they comply, but can never be certain until someone challenges our law in the European court.
Our representatives are democratically elected; well yes, the European Parliament does give the illusion of being democratically elected, but then you have to ask, what powers do these democratically elected MEP's have? I would say their power is rather like that of a single labour MP in a Tory government. The can vote on any legislation, but have no powers to create or amend it, so the unelected commissioners always have the upper hand on how any legislation is drafted. And of course it is always going to be near impossible to get 28 countries to agree on every single piece of legislation, so the amount of horse trading can only be imagined.
You really should look at the publicity material that persuaded the leave supporters, things like Brexit the video, BBC Paxman in Brussels, the real Lexit videos. You need to look beyond the cheap jokes about straight banana's, and watch how the EU really works, like how decisions are taken, and see how the move a whole parliament and tons of documents from Brussels to Strasburg every month, just so that the French can keep their national pride (just how exactly does that equate to a true multicultural society)
Obviously you will still not believe every word, but you might be able to understand what persuaded others
Perhaps you may actually be one of the losers, but the decision has already been taken so PM afraid you will just have to live with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 25th June 2016, 13:10   #1054
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Signed and circulated to social media!

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 25th June 2016 at 13:12..
Old 25th June 2016, 13:15   #1055
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Signed and circulated to social media!

Absolutely no thanks.
I voted alongside millions of others. I would have accepted both outcomes as the democratic society we live in.
If some didn't vote or don't like the result........... tough, just accept the result and work a bit harder to keep this country Great.
Old 25th June 2016, 13:20   #1056
A19_Graham
I really should get out more.......

Land Rover Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Absolutely no thanks.
I voted alongside millions of others. I would have accepted both outcomes as the democratic society we live in.
If some didn't vote or don't like the result........... tough, just accept the result and work a bit harder to keep this country Great.

Got no Thanks left, so here's a public thumbs up!!!

This petition just makes democracy worthless, and all the folk who died for it!!!
Old 25th June 2016, 13:29   #1057
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Run out of Thanks as well

Graham - you said it as it is - and I could not have put it better myself.
Old 25th June 2016, 13:42   #1058
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Absolutely no thanks.
If there was another vote, the balance would be tipped to remain .......your word "tough", I like

Old 25th June 2016, 13:52   #1059
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Just for all doom mongers in the work, a little quote about the British nation.

''The British nation is unique in this respect. They are the only people who like to be told how bad things are, who like to be told the worst.''

Also, I believe that any thing is achievable with a bit of hard work and dedication.

''Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference''

Too many people are happy to just give up and not work for what they want. To make a success of the opportunity we have given ourselves, we will have to work for it. We as a country can do this.

Stay positive, keep calm and carry on!

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Old 25th June 2016, 14:09   #1060
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Absolutely no thanks.

"Nigel Farage previously said he would want a second referendum if Remain won by a narrow margin"
Closed Thread