Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 25th June 2016, 14:22   #1061
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

That petition should be no surprise, if it is what it looks like. I'm not too sure, I'm having doubts about it's origin and true purpose. If it is what it looks like, it's what might be expected from many of the Remainders who voted out of fear and negativity, self-doubt and an abject belief in the dead hand of unaccountable central dictat. Already there have been posts about 'if the position had been the other way I would honour the result' while extolling the reason for the petition! Just as well it was the way it was! To agree with that is to, well, discretion prevails.
Old 25th June 2016, 14:37   #1062
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
"Nigel Farage previously said he would want a second referendum if Remain won by a narrow margin"
Depends what was meant by narrow and in reality by which side? One percent or 200,000 votes possibly, with over a million votes it's not exactly narrow.
England for instance had the highest turnout of 73%, an out vote of 53.4% and remain of 46.6%

Both Scotland and NI had lower turnouts so you could say rightly or wrongly the leave side were less interested or hadn't made up their minds, who knows though.

I do wonder what Farage would have said if it was closer.

Last edited by murphyv310; 25th June 2016 at 14:40..
Old 25th June 2016, 14:51   #1063
elefsis
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Club SE Saloon

If there were re-runs for anything that is on the losing side it would make everything a joke. Just imagine every football match with a petition to replay the game if the result went against their choice.

If the remainers had won then there would have been 17 million disappointed members of the public with most certainly no redress.

I just cannot believe that the remainers do not want or respect the principles of a democaracy, which allows the plebs the opportunity to both elect and get rid of politicians. The EU does not work like that because it is a Dictatorship run by unelected commissioners. Russia used to call it a Politburo.

The Country made the correct decision.

In fact the vote was closer because we allowed so many foreigners to have a vote. None of them are English, they may be called Brits, but they will never be English.

Last edited by elefsis; 25th June 2016 at 18:49..
Old 25th June 2016, 14:57   #1064
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elefsis View Post
If there were re-runs for anything that is on the losing side it would make everythning a joke. Just imagine every football match with a petition to replay the game if the result went against their choice.

If the remainers had won then there would have been 17 million disappointed members of the public with most certainly no redress.

I just cannot believe that the remainers do not want or respect the principles of a democaracy, which allows the plebs the opportunity to both elect and get rid of politicians. The EU does not work like that because it is a Dictatorship run by unelected commissioners. Riussia used to call it a Politburo.

In fact the vote was closer because we allowed so many foreigners to have a vote. None of them are English, they may be called Brits, but they will never be English.
Oh dear.

No wonder we Scots want away from you lot .

Well i do anyway .

Just re-read your last bit of your post .
Old 25th June 2016, 15:08   #1065
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:

If they had a vote, by definition they are not foreigners.

I suspect the more enlightened members will have worked out that asking parliament to consider a popular view by way of a vote is actually a fine example of democracy in action.
Old 25th June 2016, 15:25   #1066
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:

That really is quite offensive mate!

And totally inaccurate considering we are very much a "Mongrel Race" as history proves.

No need for this sort of xenophobia. No more - please
Old 25th June 2016, 15:42   #1067
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quote:
If there were re-runs for anything that is on the losing side it would make everythning a joke. Just imagine every football match with a petition to replay the game if the result went against their choice.

I just cannot believe that the remainers do not want or respect the principles of a democaracy, which allows the plebs the opportunity to both elect and get rid of politicians. The EU does not work like that because it is a Dictatorship run by unelected commissioners. Riussia used to call it a Politburo.

Well this foreigner/ immigrant and his whole family did vote in, merely from a fiscal and economic point of view. If we were talking about refugees voting, a different story completely. 🌞
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
Old 25th June 2016, 15:43   #1068
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2750 HP View Post
Looks like the elderly have decided the outcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2 View Post
It ain't sour grapes but the issues are stacking up that I doubt most who voted out had a scoobies on the big picture issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideValve View Post
The saddest part for me is that the vote was swung largely by the lower paid in our society who fell for the flag waving and sound-bites.
One thing I've been really impressed with is the condescending comments of some of those on the losing side.

Down here I've been told I'm both too old and uneducated to vote because I voted for out.

Now if you didn't let the elderly, uneducated, those who can't see the big picture and the low paid vote it might well have swung it the other way, but it wouldn't be very democratic would it?
Old 25th June 2016, 15:47   #1069
barney bear
This is my second home

rover 75 Connoiseur diesel called Rosey

Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
One thing I've been really impressed with is the condescending comments of some of those on the losing side.

Down here I've been told I'm both too old and uneducated to vote because I voted for out.

Now if you didn't let the elderly, uneducated, those who can't see the big picture and the low paid vote it might well have swung it the other way, but it wouldn't be very democratic would it?

Not this trip John but maybe next time round,
Ran out of thanks but you deserve one so
Old 25th June 2016, 16:26   #1070
bobthebuilder
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE

This call for a new referendum is a load of tosh and nothing will become of it. However if there were one, I'm sure Remain would win comfortably because as said yonks ago, those that don't want to change anything or didn't even want the referendum in the first place are by definition less inclined to get off their bottoms and vote. Having seen their side lose the first time they would probably vote and the turnout increase. I expected the turnout to be > 80%.

I still think there might be a referendum in a few years to accept or otherwise the trading agreement that is eventually agreed between the UK and the EU.

What's the appetite like in Scotland for another independence referendum?
Closed Thread