Old 6th February 2019, 16:13   #12
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
i'll have to see if I still have my sky box, I bet I dumped it

macafee2
I think the link is a good one and a very valid route. For me, I have risked old and factory refurb hard drives and only had one that lasted well. It's a good start to get the system up and running and as I have said, a good how to article. It's a little different in a laptop where I would never risk a used drive as failure is a major pain. Not so with a cctv system. Provided you keep a check on it the chances of failure at a critical time are low. As long as you keep an eye on it. That thing is writing 24/7

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 17:53   #13
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

It doesn't have to be a sky box. The drive from any HD VCR will be fine as long as it was built within the last 10 years. This will ensure that it has a SATA interface.

The drives for these systems are optimised for streaming applications and will be advertised as pipeline drives if looking for a SH one.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 18:38   #14
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
I bought a CCTV system off ebay around 12 months ago a Flourean brand, records in HD1080/night vision/Wi-Fi system which has worked flawlessly.

you can have it wi-fi or hard wired, I have mine wi-fi and all four cameras work great.

cheap as chips too.

This system didn't come with an hard drive (they do sell them with hard drives) I put a 1TB hard drive in the recorder from an old desktop that had an old Win 7 OS on it.

You just select format on the on screen directions and the drive sets itself up. also comes with software where you can see what's going on online with your mobile phone anywhere you are.

I know nothing about CCTV, but seeing a Rowe Ami R80 Fleetwood, has just brought back memories of repairing encoders, and setting up sprag gears

Hmm, the things you do........I'll bet Dave "Duotone" had his fair share of working on those when he worked at Low Lane in Horsforth

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 19:31   #15
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I know nothing about CCTV, but seeing a Rowe Ami R80 Fleetwood, has just brought back memories of repairing encoders, and setting up sprag gears

Hmm, the things you do........I'll bet Dave "Duotone" had his fair share of working on those when he worked at Low Lane in Horsforth

Brian

I've had that since the mid 80's, tons of CD players & media centres have come & gone in all that time but this Rowe Ami keeps going.

I used to book it in for a service with a guy who lived in Maghull near Liverpool every so often.

I think he said he used to service jukeboxes & pinball machines for a living.

He showed me where all the points like contacts where that needed cleaning every now & then with a piece of emery paper to keep it working properly.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 19:54   #16
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
I've had that since the mid 80's, tons of CD players & media centres have come & gone in all that time but this Rowe Ami keeps going.

I used to book it in for a service with a guy who lived in Maghull near Liverpool every so often.

I think he said he used to service jukeboxes & pinball machines for a living.

He showed me where all the points like contacts where that needed cleaning every now & then with a piece of emery paper to keep it working properly.
In the early nineties, I spent some time working in that type of trade, and vinyl was still very much in vogue.

My preference was Rockola however, but your R80 will be 43 years old now......I still own a Rockola 473 Sybaris

marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 21:53   #17
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
I took a look at this and even found my sky box. This will just show my ignorance, the box shown in the link seems to have screw connections for the cameras, a bit link co-ax cable from a TV aerial. This will not be suitable for my cameras as they have LAN cables.

I am looking on ebay for some boxes that are suitable, one has no bids and is as cheap as chips so am watching that.
Even a replacement DVR for my system would be good. I saw on Google / YouTube that a capacitor can go faulty but I don't want to risk taking my unit apart until I have a cheap replacement. Replacing the capacitor is within my electronic skills. Fault finding a PCB is not.

I hope one day I'll be able to turn the CCTV off but right now it is a necessary evil.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 22:06   #18
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

the connections on the sky box are not relevant to the hard drive, if that's what you are referring to. I assume your previous power pack problem was not the issue but the DVR itself

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019, 08:17   #19
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennine View Post
the connections on the sky box are not relevant to the hard drive, if that's what you are referring to. I assume your previous power pack problem was not the issue but the DVR itself
the box in the link, not the sky box has the wrong connections

macafee2
Old 7th February 2019, 08:18   #20
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennine View Post
was power pack problem, changed it and DVR started working but of course I don't know if the power pack created a fault with the DVR

macafee2