Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th March 2015, 19:39   #1
TR75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Default Caravan Snobbery?

The other half and I went away last weekend. Left the house slightly later than expected on Friday evening because I couldn't get the sidelights on our folding camper to work (bane of my life!) - turned out the sidelight connections had come loose in the plug. Set off and arrived at the park at around 7:45pm. Obviously at this point it was dark.

Reception was closed but a note was left on the door pointing us in the direction of the touring field. Pulled up in the field and selected what we thought was a good spot, drove the car on and within 10 seconds, the car got stuck in mud. Unhitched the trailer and pushed it back and with the other half giving some gentle acceleration I managed to push my 75 out of the hole it had become stuck in. Trouble is, the other half was looking at me covered in mud and didn't notice she was driving straight into a bog. Car got stuck again and this time I couldn't push it out. After much cussing, I went to the clubhouse and asked the warden for help. Groundsman arrived and towed my 75 out (backwards) at what seemed like 50mph!!

Anyway, he hitched up our folding camper to his jeep and took it down to the hardstanding pitches which we had been upgraded to. Didn't get fully set up until about 11:30pm.

Woke up in the morning and pottered around - we were amongst caravans and motorhomes - you would think we were aliens... Some very funny looks and stares and we felt as though there was some snobbery at the fact we were there amongst them. Granted our folding camper isn't new, but its in very good condition and still looks the part.

Haven't felt this before, but it made me feel a little uncomfortable I have to admit - anyone else felt this before?
Old 19th March 2015, 19:54   #2
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

When we had our Hobby Prestige, we had looks of WTF.

Now we have just the Bailey Pageant, we just fit right in now...

Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 20:24   #3
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I think a lot of caravan era strive to have the latest model,or look down on those who have 'economy spec' caravans.
Old 19th March 2015, 20:26   #4
TR75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
I think a lot of caravan era strive to have the latest model,or look down on those who have 'economy spec' caravans.
Certainly seems that way. We had an oldish couple next to us in what looked like a brand new Bailey.

Most annoying thing was - they kept the LED light above their door on ALL night and day - when you're trying to sleep in a canvas topped trailer, it's extremely annoying!
Old 19th March 2015, 20:58   #5
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
I've always had people offering help me when pitching up, reversing etc... suppose I'm a bit younger than the usual caravanner
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 21:03   #6
Tin Tent
Avid contributor

rover 75 tourer

My thoughts are that now caravans and sites have all mod cons the people that sneered at camping and caravaning in the past have now bought vans trouble is there not proper campers don't want to help or speak to you, sooner see you struggle than lend a hand. Site fees have gone through the roof because they want sites to be like hotels. Anyway off in mine tomorrow better put my suit and tie on. Newer did know where commers or full stops went.lol.
Must also say have meet more nice people than the keeping up with the Jones type.
Tin Tent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 21:08   #7
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Get an Austin Maxi, seats fold flat to make a double bed, so you just need a light weight trailer for your cooking equipment etc.

That way the neighbouring snobs will accept you as Great British eccentrics.
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 22:25   #8
Billy1mate
Posted a thing or two

120d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanjay View Post
Get an Austin Maxi, seats fold flat to make a double bed, so you just need a light weight trailer for your cooking equipment etc.

That way the neighbouring snobs will accept you as Great British eccentrics.
When I was little my parents, my brother & I ended up doing did exactly that, worst nights sleep ever, actually, no sleep.
Billy1mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 05:16   #9
Georgies Dad
This is my second home

Land Rover

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,979 Posts

I have been a caravanner for over 20 years,we have experienced snobbery many a time especially Caravan Club sites,just because they have the latest models and fancy caravan movers.Some are a very select band,who like to pose with their new vans and spend more time washing them than having a holiday.

I even had someone tell me off once for walking on "their" grass,I had just stepped on the corner back walking back to my pitch.

My answer is to say to them "Thats a lovely van,how much are the repayments"

Steve and Georgie

Together Forever

Lonely days are long
Twilight sings a song
All the happiness that used to be

Soon my eyes will close
Soon I'll find repose
And in dreams, you're always near to me

I'll see you in my dreams
And then I'll hold you in my dreams
Georgies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 06:39   #10
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranswood View Post
I've always had people offering help me when pitching up, reversing etc... suppose I'm a bit younger than the usual caravanner
I have had that too,more so on private sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tent View Post
My thoughts are that now caravans and sites have all mod cons the people that sneered at camping and caravaning in the past have now bought vans trouble is there not proper campers don't want to help or speak to you, sooner see you struggle than lend a hand. Site fees have gone through the roof because they want sites to be like hotels. Anyway off in mine tomorrow better put my suit and tie on. Newer did know where commers or full stops went.lol.
Must also say have meet more nice people than the keeping up with the Jones type.
Agree with this too
Quote:
Originally Posted by w44nty View Post
I have been a caravanner for over 20 years,we have experienced snobbery many a time especially Caravan Club sites,just because they have the latest models and fancy caravan movers.Some are a very select band,who like to pose with their new vans and spend more time washing them than having a holiday.

I even had someone tell me off once for walking on "their" grass,I had just stepped on the corner back walking back to my pitch.

My answer is to say to them "Thats a lovely van,how much are the repayments"
The caravan club is becoming like a posh hotel now, the price for membership,and the site fees,it would almost be cheaper to go B & B