Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th April 2018, 08:38   #1
Gareth.Richards
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Default FBH misbehaving

Anyone got any ideas?
Went out last evening to the local shop and the FBH decided to start up (temperature about 7 degrees) I hadn't realised that it was running when I turned off the engine due to all the other vehicles around me in the car park, only on my return did I notice the FBH was running, so drove home and stopped. the FBH was still running, lifted the bonnet and saw white smoke coming out from the air intake pipe! Pulled 15amp fuse 8 and FBH powered down but smoke kept coming for a few minutes.
Any pointers would be welcome

ps. FBH has not been working for some time, Frech Mike repaired the PCB last year, but has been left unplugged until I refitted the ambient temperature sensor (that was missing for some reason) last weekend.

The FBH didn't come on during my outings earlier on in the week though.
Gareth.Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2018, 09:11   #2
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

The basic FBH install should only come on, when - engine is running and ambient is lower than +5C. That system uses the alternator output and a thermal switch behind the front bumper. It also should not smoke, so it needs a proper service.

Best guess is that something is over-riding the above. Might there be an optional timer installed, such that it is supposed to pre-heat the car?

Some people have fitted remote controls, to enable the FBH to fire up.

Some have fitted even more sophisticated remote controls, using a mobile phone gadget to fire the FBH up from an even greater distance.

I installed a manual switch, so I could bypass the default system to use the FBH anytime I wanted.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 15th April 2018 at 09:18..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2018, 13:20   #3
Gareth.Richards
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
The basic FBH install should only come on, when - engine is running and ambient is lower than +5C. That system uses the alternator output and a thermal switch behind the front bumper. It also should not smoke, so it needs a proper service.

Best guess is that something is over-riding the above. Might there be an optional timer installed, such that it is supposed to pre-heat the car?

Some have fitted even more sophisticated remote controls, using a mobile phone gadget to fire the FBH up from an even greater distance.

I installed a manual switch, so I could bypass the default system to use the FBH anytime I wanted.

Basic FBH install, no timers or overrides and came on at over +7C, so maybe needing a good service!
Gareth
Old 15th April 2018, 13:39   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth.Richards View Post
Basic FBH install, no timers or overrides and came on at over +7C, so maybe needing a good service!
Gareth
The +5C switch, is just a mechanical switch/ bi-metal, so not very precise, so that still enabled at +7C is not that surprising. How it could come on without the engine running, is a different issue.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 15th April 2018 at 13:49..
Old 15th April 2018, 13:54   #5
Gareth.Richards
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
The +5C switch, is just a mechanical switch/ bi-metal, so not very precise, so that still enabled at +7C is not that surprising. How it could come on without the engine running, is a different issue.
Harry, it came on when the engine started but did not switch off when the ignition was turned off!
Gareth
Old 15th April 2018, 16:18   #6
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:

On that front does anybody actually provide a servicing FBH service?

Mine smokes like Drax power station. I should have clocked that there was something wrong as the seller had the FBH unplugged when I turned up to buy the car but forgot to return to the subject before buying the car. And of course the seller has since insisted that it was fine when he sold the car ( just like he did with the subsequently discovered knackered air con)
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2018, 16:50   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post

Mine smokes like Drax power station. I should have clocked that there was something wrong as the seller had the FBH unplugged when I turned up to buy the car but forgot to return to the subject before buying the car. And of course the seller has since insisted that it was fine when he sold the car ( just like he did with the subsequently discovered knackered air con)
Most of the effort in servicing the FBH, is in removing it from the car to service it and the car cannot be used whilst it is removed anyway [1]. I fully documented how to service it, it is not difficult - see below...

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...768#post877768

[1] It could be, if a section of pipe were made up to join the missing FBH input, to the FBH output.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 15th April 2018 at 17:01..
Old 15th April 2018, 21:59   #8
Gareth.Richards
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Harry
Should it switch itself off when the engine is turned off even if the water has not come up to temperature?
Gareth
Old 15th April 2018, 22:20   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth.Richards View Post
Harry
Should it switch itself off when the engine is turned off even if the water has not come up to temperature?
Gareth
Yes! Stop the engine and the FBH should begin a wind down to being off.

From distant memory - the engine ECU sent out a signal to say 'engine running', which then passed onto the +5C stat, then to the FBH to tell it to run. The FBH then operates under its own control, to ignite, to raise the water temperature reducing its output as it nears its set temperature, then switching off at its maximum temperature.

What you don't want, is the FBH running with the car unattended, generating lots of 'smoke'. The risk then is of someone calling the fire brigade and them busting open the bonnet to extinguish a 'fire'.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 15th April 2018 at 22:27..
Old 16th April 2018, 18:47   #10
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post

Try contacting Trebor or Devilish about servicing they've done a few and have a test rig too

Scott
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote