Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > The Valeting Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th April 2009, 00:25   #1
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Default Car cleaning possible clay?

Right, I might tomorrow, weather and swmbo permitting, Halfords being open, try and give the car a good seeing to. I have been inspired by Deano's work on Black Olive and as it isn't looking like my car is going to sell, I may have to keep it. Which is no hardship as it is absolutely beautiful. I just want a V8!!
So in a desperate attempt to try and fall in love with the car again. I thought I might give this ere claying thing a go that I hear you all talking about. I am a little confused as to why you would rub clay on a car you are trying to clean but hey! The equipment I have at home amounts to a hose, a bucket, a mitt and that autoglym car shampoo and polish. What else do i need and is there any chance that I could make the above less obvious!!? The pic above shows up under garage forecourt lights and some other lighting conditions. Most of the time it is invisible.
Old 13th April 2009, 06:57   #2
Dave***t
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ 180 SE

Claying makes a definite difference over 'normal' washing etc, but it's hard to tell what exactly that fault on your bonnet is, so hard to know what will help. Any more info?

One thing you'll need is something to lubricate the clay as you use it - most people use either a detailing spray or a strong shampoo mix (and plenty of it in either case).

Halfords do a Meguiars quik clay kit that should fit the bill. Although Bilt Hamber make a clay that only needs water - I'll be trying this one out myself later today, but you'll probably have to shop online for that.
Old 13th April 2009, 06:58   #3
Rabett_Rover
This is my second home

Rover 75

Buy your car cleaning bits from ebay- It is much cheaper than Halfrauds!
Rabett_Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 07:21   #4
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

I find Clay brings back the smooth glass like finish.

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 08:32   #5
deano78
Loves to post

Audi A4 (formerly 75 cdt saloon)

clay will only remove stuff stuck to your paint. from that photo it looks like you have some kind of oxidization going on which is odd on a car with clearcoat and not single stage paint. if you are going to buy from halfords some scratch x and plenty (and i do mean plenty) of elbow grease may get rid of it but if its anything like black olives bonnet it will just laugh at you and stick its tongue out. failing that it will need machine polishing.
deano78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 11:29   #6
Phil
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave***t View Post
Claying makes a definite difference over 'normal' washing etc, but it's hard to tell what exactly that fault on your bonnet is, so hard to know what will help. Any more info?

One thing you'll need is something to lubricate the clay as you use it - most people use either a detailing spray or a strong shampoo mix (and plenty of it in either case).

Halfords do a Meguiars quik clay kit that should fit the bill. Although Bilt Hamber make a clay that only needs water - I'll be trying this one out myself later today, but you'll probably have to shop online for that.
To be honest, I think it is a paint defect under the lacquer. I have been told that all the chromactive paints pretty much suffer from it, I was hoping that there may be a product that makes the lacquer so shiny it makes it un notcable. Wishful thinking I expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja2tw View Post
Buy your car cleaning bits from ebay- It is much cheaper than Halfrauds!
Yeah but I want it now. I'm too impatient!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenWilliams View Post
I find Clay brings back the smooth glass like finish.
Thats what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano78 View Post
clay will only remove stuff stuck to your paint. from that photo it looks like you have some kind of oxidization going on which is odd on a car with clearcoat and not single stage paint. if you are going to buy from halfords some scratch x and plenty (and i do mean plenty) of elbow grease may get rid of it but if its anything like black olives bonnet it will just laugh at you and stick its tongue out. failing that it will need machine polishing.
Thanks. Pics later hopefully!
Old 13th April 2009, 11:51   #7
Dave***t
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ 180 SE

Just to show what clay can do - before today, I last clayed my paintwork about 12 months ago, and this morning I used the Bilt Hamber stuff, having washed the car beforehand.

I wash my car at least every other week, usually weekly, and it's pretty much always got at least 2 coats of wax or similar on it. Basically, I keep it pretty clean.

And here, next to an unused bit of clay for comparison, is the result of claying JUST THE FRONT PASSENGER DOOR.

Phil - if it is under the clearcoat I'm sorry to hear that. Could be worth trying Scratch X, and even if it won't fully remove it, at least if it shows some improvement you know that a machine polish could well sort it.
Old 13th April 2009, 12:03   #8
Phil
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave***t View Post
Just to show what clay can do - before today, I last clayed my paintwork about 12 months ago, and this morning I used the Bilt Hamber stuff, having washed the car beforehand.

I wash my car at least every other week, usually weekly, and it's pretty much always got at least 2 coats of wax or similar on it. Basically, I keep it pretty clean.

And here, next to an unused bit of clay for comparison, is the result of claying JUST THE FRONT PASSENGER DOOR.

Phil - if it is under the clearcoat I'm sorry to hear that. Could be worth trying Scratch X, and even if it won't fully remove it, at least if it shows some improvement you know that a machine polish could well sort it.

What is ScratchX? What does it do?
Old 13th April 2009, 12:39   #9
Dave***t
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ 180 SE

It's a scratch remover polish that's available from Halfords IIRC, and it's a deal better than the overly harsh T-Cut equivalent by all accounts.

Like I say it may well not completely sort out your bad patch, but even if it doesn't completely shift it, if it does help a bit then you'll know it can be polished out. If it doesn't touch it at all, it goes some way to confirming it's sub-surface.
Old 13th April 2009, 15:38   #10
Phil
This is my second home

Just spent £50 quid in Halfords on Maguiers stuff, I have two little bits of plasticine which I think is the clay? It says spray quick detailer all over car and rub the clay over it? Is that right? Just rub like you would an eraser?