Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th November 2017, 14:09   #21
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Regardless of how people voted in the referendum, as a country we need to pull together, especially the ruling classes who will be deciding our future.
I have found it immensely disturbing that David Davies etc. have come across as being very weak & disorganised. What we need is strong leadership & this is sadly lacking.
I had hoped Teresa May would be a surprisingly good leader for Brexit, seeing as she voted against it.

Rob

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 14:46   #22
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Germany is an interesting example - we buy more from them than they buy from us. So if we have to go to WTO rules then Germany would be the net loser.

As for the comment “if emerging markets actually exist” - this actually confirms the considerable genuine ignorance of many in the remain camp.

Having spoken to many - I am forming the opinion that an awful lot of them are like Americans - totally bemused and ignorant about events, geography and history outside of the United States of America.

Heaven forbid our children ever became that insular that THEIR world was restricted to the United States of Europe!
Apart from being quite insulting and ill informed about my knowledge of the world do you actually own a business that buys or sells anything from other countries - or is this just a 'it was better in the early 70's thing?'

In 2017 (rather than 1973) I'll be honest I'm struggling a bit now as people tighten their wallets/purses - and that's selling products bought/made before sterling crashed, once I start having to pass on the price increase to customers it's not going to get any better is it. Can you suggest an emerging market I sell £50k's worth of stock of European type Fly Fishing tools and materials to?

Probably not, so what is the point of effectively taking my (and a lot of other small businesses) market away for £20 billion extra? - you don't really think they have that money earmarked for the NHS or other common people do you?

Last edited by mystabe; 17th November 2017 at 15:24..
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 15:21   #23
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

So Germany currently sells more to Britain than it buys from Britain. Hmm. How important is Germany as a target market for Britain?
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exporting-to-germany
Quote:
Germany has a Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of more than €3 trillion. This makes it the largest economy in Europe and the fourth strongest economy in the world.

Germany is the UK’s largest export market in Europe and second largest globally after the US.
This link is interesting - https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/gbr/
It tells us that 11% of Britain's exports go to Germany, while 14% of its imports come from Germany.

This related link is also interesting - https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/deu/
It tells us that 7.1% of Germany's exports go to Britain, while 3.8% of its imports come from Britain.

Which country will find it easier to identify new markets to make up any deficit in the event of trading on WTO terms? As a leading member of a global trading bloc, Germany may not find this problem to be entirely insurmountable - even if they lack a foreign minister with the diplomatic skills of Boris Johnson or an international development minister like ... who's the latest one playing musical chairs? It's hard to keep up.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 15:31   #24
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

7.1% isn't exactly going to worry them - even if it drops to 3% - emerging markets
Old 17th November 2017, 15:37   #25
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
Pacific Trade Agreement? - we're not part of that are we?

Look at a world map that highlights the EU, people with a decent standard of living and who want what I sell - look at the rest of the World...... yes, in 35 years that might all change but I live in the now, I have no choice.....

Lets shut ourselves away though eh, it's the future - we have no industry and a very small indigenous skilled workforce so it'll be fine in a couple of years.....

Why mention the Pacific Trade Agreement? - it does not apply to all emerging markets? And don’t forget that whilst the term “emerging markets” is still used - this term described those markets as they were decades ago.

They are very much ‘New Established Markets’ now.

Go spend some time in places like Singapore - Malaysia - I have - their work ethic is amazing. Puts us to shame.

Going back to Dyson - one of the reasons he moved his production to Malaysia was because he apparently wanted a yellow plug to match the colour schemes of his machines - not one plug manufacturer in the U.K. could provide him with what he wanted.

I think we have to accept that manufacturing is not going to be something the U.K. does that well any more given the quality, cost and “can do” attitude of these “emerging markets”. What we excell at is the Service side, the innovation and the technology.

We have plenty to offer the world in these and similar areas - why on earth do we want to retain membership of an expensive moribund “club” whose main aim is to distribute our wealth to other club members?

If we were an old eastern block country with a broken economy and a depressed workforce I would be all for staying in the EU. But we are not.

We have significant assets - let’s not waste them.

Best we align ourselves with growing economies rather than stagnating ones.

Last edited by Darcydog; 17th November 2017 at 15:52..
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 15:41   #26
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

High-flying economies, surely?
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 16:10   #27
Billy1mate
Posted a thing or two

120d M Sport

It sums it up in a light hearted way, maybe it should actually be pitched to Barmy Barnier. :-)
Billy1mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 16:38   #28
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Why mention the Pacific Trade Agreement? - it does not apply to all emerging markets? And don’t forget that whilst the term “emerging markets” is still used - this term described those markets as they were decades ago.

They are very much ‘New Established Markets’ now.

Go spend some time in places like Singapore - Malaysia - I have - their work ethic is amazing. Puts us to shame.

Going back to Dyson - one of the reasons he moved his production to Malaysia was because he apparently wanted a yellow plug to match the colour schemes of his machines - not one plug manufacturer in the U.K. could provide him with what he wanted.

I think we have to accept that manufacturing is not going to be something the U.K. does that well any more given the quality, cost and “can do” attitude of these “emerging markets”. What we excell at is the Service side, the innovation and the technology.

We have plenty to offer the world in these and similar areas - why on earth do we want to retain membership of an expensive moribund “club” whose main aim is to distribute our wealth to other club members?

If we were an old eastern block country with a broken economy and a depressed workforce I would be all for staying in the EU. But we are not.

We have significant assets - let’s not waste them.

Best we align ourselves with growing economies rather than stagnating ones.
Yellow plugs? so rather than tool up to make yellow plugs and give British workers a job he chose to go to Malaysia - doesn't bode well does it

Service - how many times do you speak to an actual British person? rubbish call centre jobs - already long gone

Last edited by mystabe; 17th November 2017 at 17:09..
Old 17th November 2017, 16:42   #29
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
Apart from being quite insulting and ill informed about my knowledge of the world do you actually own a business that buys or sells anything from other countries - or is this just a 'it was better in the early 70's thing?'

In 2017 (rather than 1973) I'll be honest I'm struggling a bit now as people tighten their wallets/purses - and that's selling products bought/made before sterling crashed, once I start having to pass on the price increase to customers it's not going to get any better is it. Can you suggest an emerging market I sell £50k's worth of stock of European type Fly Fishing tools and materials to?

Probably not, so what is the point of effectively taking my (and a lot of other small businesses) market away for £20 billion extra? - you don't really think they have that money earmarked for the NHS or other common people do you?
and I still want your answer to ths Darcydog before I take anything else you say seriously
Old 17th November 2017, 16:51   #30
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Brexit must be the only time in history that a country finds itself negotiating a worse trade deal than the one it already has! Sad times.
Was this what people really voted for?

This is my final contribution to this thread, before Mod's close it down.
Stevie25 is offline   Reply With Quote