Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th February 2010, 14:03   #1
mikemc75
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8T Tourer

Default Front & rear disc replacement advice

My 03 1.8T SE tourer has just failed a MOT on pitted rear disc and imbalanced front brakes, and the garage quoted me £400 to replace front and rear discs.
Having seen on EBay that I can get a complete set of discs and pads for £80, I decided to do it myself. The pads and discs are now on order, along with an impact screwdriver to remove the screws.

Replacing front disc pads is one thing that in the past has never produced any particular problems - is there anything that I need to look out for when doing the front and rear discs's and pads.

I've read some posts on the brake sensors. Although I have had no warning lights (does my car even have them?) is there anything else I should be replacing?
mikemc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 14:13   #2
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

Its best to get the new sensors (they are fitted to all models) as they can seize into the pads and it makes the job that bit easier having new parts to hand, Its a straightforward job to do the front and the rear and the only thing I would say is to let the handbrake cable back (from inside the car) and when you have the discs off check the handbrake shoes (they are inside the discs at the rear) if they look ok clean them and adjust them up with just the discs on again its a simply job to do and then retighten the handbrake cable to suit.
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 14:16   #3
Kai Herb
Gets stuck in

MG ZTT+ 2.5 160

Ive just replaced my front pads and discs , the tools i used was a Tx50 bit for the disc retaining screw , 7mm allen key for the guide pins , 15mm socket for the caliper bolts and a hammer to help the discs off.

Its fairly straightforward (it took me about a hour and a half due to not having done it before and it was on the drive)

The warning cable is on the drivers side pad and if your careful you should be able to reused it although i replaced mine.

I havent done the rears but i think they are pretty much the same.

If you allow a morning or afternoon then you should have plenty of time
Kai Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 14:57   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Servicing the rear brakes is exactly the same as the fronts, except the caliper is mounted with 13mm AF bolts (torque 47ftlb). The front bolt torque is 74ftlb.

Replacing the sensor is the best plan because the old one will be very brittle due to heating. They usually disintegrate on removal from the pad.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 15:45   #5
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

Default hi

go for it not a bad job to do. managed to complete mine in a morning including changing a caliper the only problem i had was with the 7 mm allen key most sets do not include this size they go up in evens. so i bought a brake caliper removal tool from my local car spares shop in the 7mm size.only to discover that due to its size the rear shocks prevent its use ie it fits but you can not turn it.great so of to a engineerig supplies company to buy a normal 7mm key which i did not need as buy now the car was in bits on the drive thank god for the trusty dawes galaxy!oh and as a footnote found a 7mm key in the shed 3 weeks later whist having a sort out!
suffolk boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 16:43   #6
mikemc75
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8T Tourer

Default Great advice!

Thanks for all the tips. I'll get a pair of sensors on order - it will still be a lot cheaper than getting the garage to do it. The saving will come in useful as my printer packed in on Friday - shame that there isn't a Canon forum like this, that would tell me how to fix 'Error 5700'.

Have managed to find a 7mm allen key - as Wedd says, not common! Two of the sets I had skip from 6 to 8.

Really helps to get such good advice before starting to take the car apart!
Hopefully, no surprises next weekend.
Old 28th February 2010, 16:49   #7
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Some advice... when you get the discs, paint all the non-contact surfaces with black Hammerite or similar. I fitted discs and pads a couple of weeks ago, and with all the rain we've had they look very unsightly through the alloys due to surface rust. I'm going to have to spend some time next weekend doing this taking off one wheel at a time... if you do them before fitting, it will save you from a similiar fate!

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 160 (sadly now gone!)
2015 BMW 435d GranCoupe XDrive
calibrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 16:52   #8
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemc75 View Post
my printer packed in on Friday - shame that there isn't a Canon forum like this, that would tell me how to fix 'Error 5700'.
This may help... there's a procedure to try...

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/27412

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 160 (sadly now gone!)
2015 BMW 435d GranCoupe XDrive
calibrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:43   #9
mikemc75
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8T Tourer

calibrax - thanks for the tip and the printer link. i must have missed that one during my search! Could be useful.
Sounds as though the 'Canon 5700' error is similar to the rover HGF.
Old 6th March 2010, 14:50   #10
mikemc75
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8T Tourer

Default Sorted!

Car now has 4 new shiny discs and pads ready for MOT retest.

No real problems, probably about 4 hours in all.
Fronts are easier than the rears, as it is easier to get at the fixing bolts - on the rear you have to use a 13mm ring spanner, as there is not enough clearance to get a socket on.

Thought that the parking brake might cause problems, but the discs came off after a couple of taps with a mallet.

Calibrax's tip to paint the non-contact surfaces was good - they look better than rust coloured. I did have some concerns when painting them that they might be the wrong discs, and that I would have trouble exchanging them. However, everything fitted.

Thanks for all the replies.