Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th February 2010, 15:23   #1
KHC

R75 Connie and 986 Boxster

Default Vibration/shudder issue

Hi Folks

In my 2.0 V6 petrol manual, when cold and taking up drive in first (or reverse) it has some vibration/shudder when setting off. After driving for a few minutes in town the first gear clutch changing shudder dissappears.

New Clutch, Slave & Master cylinders and new gearbox mount last summer (£££) new front wishbones and mounts 2 weekas ago (We are sure Herefordshire aka the UK's Third-World County is the UK pothole capital - my Boxster's suspension was all over the place and had to have a complete realignment job last week ) and now this niggle .

Any thoughs would be appreciated, I'm off outside checking the clutch fluid level and may bleed it - if there is any fluid left........

Thanks

Karl
KHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 19:05   #2
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

I would check the rear lower engine mount for splitting and if thats ok, it could be something warped in the clutch assy.
Old 28th February 2010, 19:17   #3
kfieldin
Banned

I had a bad judder in first and reverse (also almost impossible to get 2nd and 4th) - Clutch replaced less than 10,000 miles ago... This is what I found when I took the clutch out:-

kfieldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 21:37   #4
KHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I would check the rear lower engine mount for splitting and if thats ok, it could be something warped in the clutch assy.
Phil

Thanks. Nothing unusual at the Master cylinder so I'll get the mount checked at the garage that serviced the car 2 weeks ago.

Karl
Old 28th February 2010, 21:41   #5
KHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfieldin View Post
I had a bad judder in first and reverse (also almost impossible to get 2nd and 4th) - Clutch replaced less than 10,000 miles ago... This is what I found when I took the clutch out:-

The clutch was placed last summer so here's hoping it is not a dodgy batch of clutch plates doing the rounds. No problems with 2-5th gear access, odd thing is it goes after a few stop-starts.

Karl
Old 28th February 2010, 21:56   #6
kfieldin
Banned

For you I hope so too. I needed a quick job last year as slave cylinder failed and it cost me £998 (yea, saw me coming) Looking at the clutch plate I wonder if they even replaced it. Anyways for £200 I replaced the clutch and slave - took me a day but I know the job is done right now and the clutch is soooooo much better - strange how one gets used to a heavy clutch.

Oh, I also though lower engine mount and when I took it off - sure it had gone - totally - replacing it made no difference to the judder though.

I could get all gears when stationary but just not on the move. Think towing my eldest sons classic mini on a transporter for a couple hundred miles didn't help the clutch. Never had any slip though.

Is your clutch work still under warranty? (mine wasn't :-( )
kfieldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 19:18   #7
KHC

Combined with a thermostat housing leak, camshaft sensor, rear spring failure and ABS sensors, last summer was one to forget. And around £1300 for my pains. But having enjoyed the car since new and very little expense since day one other than tyres and servicing it was bound to catch up sooner or later.

The one big lesson is that running a Porsche Boxster is turning out quite reasonable, new clutch (if I needed one) inc fitting £350 (vs R75 £900+) new plugs £25 (vs R75 £55). Even secondhand engines are about the same!

I believe the clutch is still under warranty.

Regards

Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfieldin View Post
For you I hope so too. I needed a quick job last year as slave cylinder failed and it cost me £998 (yea, saw me coming) Looking at the clutch plate I wonder if they even replaced it. Anyways for £200 I replaced the clutch and slave - took me a day but I know the job is done right now and the clutch is soooooo much better - strange how one gets used to a heavy clutch.

Oh, I also though lower engine mount and when I took it off - sure it had gone - totally - replacing it made no difference to the judder though.

I could get all gears when stationary but just not on the move. Think towing my eldest sons classic mini on a transporter for a couple hundred miles didn't help the clutch. Never had any slip though.

Is your clutch work still under warranty? (mine wasn't :-( )
Old 6th March 2010, 10:05   #8
KHC

Update from this morning.

Lower gearbox mount is as good as new (it was replaced last summer).

No sign of anything loose.

Bled the clutch (had to remove the air filter box assembly). Took her for a test drive with lots of stops and starts and the problem seems to have disappeared; as we are out later that would be a better test.