Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st July 2017, 11:15   #11
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

I think the wishbone arms etc Mgr used were Lemforder brand but not sure if they did the drop links and other bits.
Not cheap but if they are as good as the originals worth getting .
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 11:21   #12
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
My originals are on 141k now , but on a second set of boots..

c.
Hi Chris. Have you ever put any grease in the boots to make them last longer, or is it just luck?
Old 21st July 2017, 12:44   #13
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Yup, I did pop some more grease in them after giving them an Electrolysis derusting, as they were awful , then a good coating of smootherite and some new boots, ( about a quid each on fleabay).

But as for helping the the rubber ?? but i did spray them all over with toolstation cavity wax for a bit of protection from the general spray/road dirt.

It all depends of the quality of the rubber.... as you may know ,, I did have a supposed OEM quality Boot perish and Split after a few months and that was from the company beginning with R

So seller cost or reputation is no guarantee of qualty, although its a place to good start !

C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Hi Chris. Have you ever put any grease in the boots to make them last longer, or is it just luck?
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 21st July 2017 at 12:51..
ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 13:51   #14
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

This is such a big problem these days but we dont help the situation. I dont think I have ever heard anyone say ''can you sell me the most expensive drop link you have please''. We often ask for the cheapest and the supplier does the same so the manufacturer makes them cheaper.

It is not just a situation unique to our cars, I fitted some new suspension arms to a BMW for its MOT last year and it failed on the same arms this year and they have only done 9k miles. Yes they were replaced FOC but I still had to do the work for the customer.

I have actually started buying parts from the manufacturers in some cases, yes they are more expensive but you rarely get the car back to do the work again. It does not matter if you fit Delphi, Quinton Hazell or First line, it all seems to be made out of Tissue paper and chocolate.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 14:15   #15
John Armstrong
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Diesel Saloon

Had the same problem - fitted ex bay which lasted only 3 montrhs - However, I saw they were completely rusted inside - boot failure but I noticed that there was just enough room for a spanner to hold while torquing up. I purchased FAI and noticed there was ample room for the spanner - made sure the Boot was firmly in place and secure. Todate all is well which is now coming up to their third year of wear.
John
John Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 14:54   #16
Blackrose
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

My local mechanic said he was doing drop links on all makes of cars on a regular basis now, never used to be a problem. The common factor is the state of the roads in this country. If they haven't got pot holes and uneven surfaces they stick some speed bumps in the road. I have driven all over Europe and in Thailand, Vietnam etc. all the roads are better than ours.
Only place I could say it was different would be India but they were mainly dirt tracks, having said that probably still smoother than some of our roads
I do agree that quality will also be an issue. I remember Jim Jameison once checking some new droplinks to find no grease under the boot . he packed them himself. Might be worth checking. A heavy duty syringe full of some slippery stuff injected into the boots once a year may help but I suspect it's just the quality of steel. Not much British steel being made now, everyone wants cheap stuff, we all pay the price in the end.

Blackrose
Blackrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 15:12   #17
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Well, tea time I decided that I would start my project of changing the INNER TIE ROD on the near side. The tie rods came from our friend DMRGS. Thanks again Matt.Took wheel off. Then undid the trackrod. Tried to feel the play that I suspected because of a constant rattle as I drove over undulating rough roads. No play in track rod end, 15 years old in December.Tried the inner tie rod for play which I suspected because I had replaced the drop links less than a year ago ( Delphi), and no, there was no play in that. Mmmmmm. Can't be the drop links? Undid the drop link on near side, bottom undone first, and guess what, the top joint has play in it. What a load of cackle. Where do they get their parts from? The chocolate factory? Always thought Delphi were a good reliable company, not anymore. These will be going back to them via Autosessive where I got them from. As an aside, I kept the old links because they were ok. I was doing some of my 'before it happens' job's.So tonight, I put back on a 14 year old drop link that is still serviceable. Now to download the receipt from my e.mails to return it.
Regrettably quality is no longer part of business philosophy for most businesses today, ' you can have a refund, Sir' is more likely, most people don't complain so they get away with it.

I recently purchased a Pioneer tapedeck made in Japan in April 1976 ( how do I know, you ask, well it is date stamped on interior panel) to say that it is built like a tank, it will be an understatement, you don't want to drop it on your foot as the result will be hospitalisation, the sound quality is seriously good and a 'tune-up' as they say will have this beauty sounding as good as the day it was made. ' Recent' models not built in Japan, but assembled elsewhere, are poor to say the best............there you have it.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 15:39   #18
Blackrose
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

John Armstrongs post stated he had fitted FAI so i dropped them a quick note as follows:-

Hi Gary, I own a Rover 75 saloon and am a member of the https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/.

Every once in a while the droplink issue rears it's head. People are fitting after market ones only to find that they are failing after a short time. I know the roads are getting worse but it would seem that the originals that Rover fitted have stood the test of time.

One guy on the forum had fitted some of your FAI droplinks over 3 years ago and they were still OK. Have you changed supplier in the last three years? Would they be of the same quality as the originals? Where would you recommend our forum members to buy them from to ensure that they are FAI parts and not some Chinese copy?

Cheers

Steve Cooper

Within 5 mins Gary replied.

Hi Steve

The front link rods are SS016 – we sell in the region of 2400 a year with no returns and they have been supplied by the same factory for a number of years.

We sell to over 2500 motor factors so would be difficult to give you a list. We do sell to all major motor factors in cities/Towns so would be worth your members to check if the motor factor sells FAI.

Hope this helps

Regards

Gary

E-Bay link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAI-STABIL...-/391175877393

No doubt our suppliers on the forum will be supplying good stuff also.

Blackrose

Blackrose

Blackrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 21:55   #19
kbradley75

Rover 75 CDTI Contempoary SE Auto

We're using First Line (FDL6492) on our two 75's. Generally, if you stuff the boots of new links with grease they seem to last longer. The quantity of grease in drop links seems to vary dramatically.
kbradley75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 15:33   #20
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

I have just received pair of unipart ones, they seem to have a more substantial boot on thr top joint to hold more grease than the delphis had. Hopefully these may last
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote