Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th July 2017, 17:47   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default The Joy Of Selling On The Internet

Sometimes this can be successful, other times, an ordeal for the seller, and in the extreme, people falling prey to scammers and scum.

I am currently trying to sell a few items, on Gumtree. My items have had several responses by email, though the ads includes a line that until someone confirms they will buy and attend, I will only communicate by email. Numerous people ask me to ring them, I don't.

One guy has been in touch six times, each time asking pathetic little things that are already described in the ad, and then he asked "how much do you want for it", I said that it's on sale for £24 and there are four other people emailing me - his answer "I'll give you £15 for it", this all takes time and is so annoying.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 18:02   #2
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Yes I agree.

I put some stuff on Ebay recently and after a few days I wish I had just dumped it.

On eof the items was an old traylor that to be honest it was only fit for parts so I started the bidding at .99p with no reserve. I had numerous requests for a buy it now price and eventually put one on it for £50. I then had people asking me if I would take £25 or £35 for it.

Eventually an old guy one the auction for just over £100 and when he came to collect it he was so pleased with it and he acted as if he had won the lottery. I was so glad those wasters who had been pestering me for a week did not get it.

The odd thing was I had two people email me to say if the winner did not collect it they would happily pay the winning price and collect it within the hour. If these people wanted it so badly why did they not just take the buy it now?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 18:52   #3
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Gumtree is full of scams where all they want is your identity.

Avoid all links sent in text messages, avoid emailing any potential punter directly with your personal email address. Dont bother communicating other than a real phone call, this way you stand a better chance not giving your address details to a scammer, otherwise meet somewhere local.

Honest buyers will call you, you soon can tell from the conversation if you are speaking to a genuine buyer or not.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 19:03   #4
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Selling on Gumtree is akin to pulling teeth at times, You have to wade through the tyrekickers & timewasters before you get to a proper buyer, I've had some success on there but the last few things I've tried to sell I've just given up & donated the stuff to the local cats protection league.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 19:11   #5
tony062622
Avid contributor

Vauxhall Zafira Auto

I purchased my 75 on Gumtree last September, must have been lucky never had a problem.I saw that it was local texted the seller if was still for sale, went to see the same day made offer, it was accepted.I gave a small deposit and agreed to transfer the balance when I picked car up a couple days later. Great family and sooooo happy with the car.
Completed, Pcv filter,viton rings,rear,springs,discs,pads,shoes & shocks.Plenum guard,alternator.Headlamp refurb.rear exhaust.all filters alternator & belts,o/s control arm,windows /mirror controls sorted.2 door cards realigned.rear bulb holder, Wipers,Revotec fan condenser,silicon hoses.Lower rear engine mount
Tony
tony062622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 19:25   #6
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts

I'll never use gumtree ever again had truly awful experience with the site as my card details were hacked through it.

When I ever I can I try and sell though car clubs rather then a selling site, now again do use ebay as well.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 19:34   #7
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

I must have been lucky with Gumtree. A few chancers right enough but I've sold 5-6 cars and numerous other bits over the years and once you actually have a sensible enquiry I've found the people to be genuine and decent.

Actually bought my first 75 then my first ZT through Gumtree and found the transactions pleasant. But if luck I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 19:34   #8
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

I posted an advert on Gumtree to sell my Father's partner's car last night at about 8:30 as she is no longer well enough to drive. 20 mins later he had a call from a guy in Milton Keynes so quite a distance asking if he would hold the car until he got here this morning at 9am and true to his word he turned up on time with cash and paid for it there and there with the haggled down price exactly what my father was looking for.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 19:41   #9
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Hi - the crazy thing is that some things seem to sell on ebay for more than you can buy them on the high street.

I bought a great pine table and chairs recently from Gumtree and all went well.

Would totally endorse the caution advice above - never give a phone number or your email address.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 20:03   #10
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

If you sell or buy the odd thing here and there, you will most likely not experience a scam, or even a time waster. Gumtree still works the old fashion way when it comes to Classified ads, but its becoming more difficult to filter-out all the fraudulent activity that goes on.

Frequent use of the site, and depending on what you are actually selling/buying is when you will encounter problems.

Its always best not to use your real name, and not your everyday phone number. Pick up a free sim card, or use an old spare phone number you dont mind giving out.

Beat the scammers at their own game, be one step ahead (they soon stop and leave you alone).
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote