Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd August 2017, 12:34   #81
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Have you ever been tempted to removed the spacer plates which determine the force available on the liners from the end of the head gasket. I haven't done it, but I'm surprised someone hasn't tried it to give a better clamping force on the liners
At least one k-series gasket was made without them and compression force on the fire rings in that case was limited in the traditional way. Without the compression limiters the fire rings on both the sls and the mls gasket would be at risk of crushing rather than compression and that carries a risk of early if not immediate failure - but I think that you already know that.

No. 4 is often the main problem in a dropped-liner situation so one shim would be nice as a fix but they tend to be sold in sets of four. A group buy could resolve this. Looking on ebay a set of four can currently be had for ~ £34 delivered so that would be ~ £8.50 a shim excluding p&p for the person organising to repost them. I would expect that reposting could be done for the cost of a 2nd-class postage stamp so in total a little more than ~£9 for a single shim.

Last edited by WillyHeckaslike; 2nd August 2017 at 12:44..
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 16:47   #82
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

I don't think many of these would get sold, dropped liners is a symptom of severe overheating, which brings other issues, usually rendering the engine scrap. Also the liners tilt twards the exhaust side, so will never be right, shim or no.
I have skimmed the top of a block at an angle to correct this, engine hasn't run yet so not sure how succesful it will be long term....
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 17:43   #83
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Also the liners tilt twards the exhaust side, so will never be right, shim or no.

?????
Old 2nd August 2017, 19:34   #84
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

If the liners do tilt towards the exhaust side then the fact that they run along the axis of the crankshaft will have very little effect and hence not be detrimental to the piston con rod or big end bearings scrubbing. Two engines I have rebuilt with liner shims, 1 of them 3 years ago (celestial blue) is still running and the 2nd was also built three years ago but ended up in scrapyard last year due to skint owner, corroded brake pipes and rear arms.
Perhaps for a race engine but on a road going car I have so far not seen any detrimental issues withe the liner shims, but again I am talking about engines that have not been seriously overheated with little liner sinking, because if it gets to stage where liner sinks in realms of .006" then I would not consider it even if you could get shims to give you .009", this is seen if you have to drive the liner out then you may as well go for replacing the block with known good version.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 07:56   #85
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

I think the SAIC gasket is without the compression limiters as used on the SLS and the MLS. Click

But that is not the one I was referring to earlier, there is a much earlier UK gasket that is also minus those limiters. Click
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 21:14   #86
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Why???? Kaiser?
Which bit is difficult? My point is that once they do tilt shimming them just lifts them at the same angle, which still compromises sealing. No issues with pistons, rings or anything else. Hence skimming the block at an angle to compensate.

Last edited by minimutly; 4th August 2017 at 21:17..
Old 3rd September 2017, 12:24   #87
Shide
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T

Default Update

A quick update on this. I have removed the water pump and lower timing cover and it's the usual story, three or four missing studs.
Shide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 13:04   #88
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
Why???? Kaiser?
Which bit is difficult? My point is that once they do tilt shimming them just lifts them at the same angle, which still compromises sealing. No issues with pistons, rings or anything else. Hence skimming the block at an angle to compensate.
I don't think they lean to the exhaust side.
But please show me where you have that from.
Old 3rd September 2017, 20:20   #89
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Can't really show you kaiser, since it' simply my experience, every time these overheat, the liners sink and tilt towards the exhaust, measured by flat bar and feeler gauge.
I believe it makes sense, since the exhaust side of the chamber is the hottest, the inlet being cooled by fuel and relatively cool air. I allways wonder what it would look like inside one of these engines when this is going on - glowing liners, pistons losing chunks of themselves, driving itself into destruction.
Old 19th September 2017, 13:03   #90
Shide
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T

Default Update

I'm in need of the three panels covering the can belt. Lower section and top two back and front plus any set screws to make headway with this. Any one out there have these parts?
Shide is offline   Reply With Quote