Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd July 2017, 11:14   #1
Atcchus
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Auto Tourer

Default First time Towing experience

Picked up a cheap jubliee envoy 1992 . Looked decent but have some damp issue at the back . I have few questions . Hope someone will give me some advice

1 . When towing I feel the caravan is bouncing about and have pull me push you affect . Is it normal ?

2. I manage to buy a used al ko stabiliser , and watched a how to change video , it says it need a steel dowel when I the take the 2nd bolt off . Does anyone have the steel dowel ? I can borrow or a link where I can buy ?

3. How to check the hitch damper is working properly? When I push in I need to put some strength to it . Is that normal? If not how hard to is to change ?

4. Does caravan have dampers at the wheels ? ( I know it's a stupid question)

5. How to seal the damp issue and how hard to change the panels ?

Any help would be helpful.
Atcchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 11:24   #2
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcchus View Post
Picked up a cheap jubliee envoy 1992 . Looked decent but have some damp issue at the back . I have few questions . Hope someone will give me some advice

1 . When towing I feel the caravan is bouncing about and have pull me push you affect . Is it normal ?

2. I manage to buy a used al ko stabiliser , and watched a how to change video , it says it need a steel dowel when I the take the 2nd bolt off . Does anyone have the steel dowel ? I can borrow or a link where I can buy ?

3. How to check the hitch damper is working properly? When I push in I need to put some strength to it . Is that normal? If not how hard to is to change ?

1.....Make sure you have sufficent Nose weight on the tow hitch

3.....The damper needs to be fairly "Stiff" otherwise the over-run brakes will be coming on at the slightest slow down

4....Yes the caravan should have "Dampers" at the wheels similar to normal shock absorbers..

HTH

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 14:10   #3
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Ash,ask a local caravan repair centre for a quote on repairing the damp, other than that ,speak to Keith kc13661, he did his own damp repair on his caravan. He has done a thread on it too, it was at the front where the roof panel meets the front panel.
Old 24th July 2017, 16:15   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
1.....Make sure you have sufficent Nose weight on the tow hitch

3.....The damper needs to be fairly "Stiff" otherwise the over-run brakes will be coming on at the slightest slow down

4....Yes the caravan should have "Dampers" at the wheels similar to normal shock absorbers..

HTH

I'm not convinced all caravans have shocks in the traditional sense.
This is a guess, the "axle" has an arm at each end. Where this arm and axle meet are rubbers. The stub axle for the wheel is on the other end of the arm. I'd almost describe these rubbers as similar to cush drive rubbers. The joint is "triangular" in shape with the 3 points fitting in between the rubbers. These rubbers act as the suspension.

It is a good idea when the van is not in use for a long time to lift it onto axle stands so the wheels are clear of the ground and hang, this lets the suspension rest and it will probably last longer

The above is all a guess and a very lose description.

From what I have read it is possible to fit shocks to some chassis and they do apparently make the caravan more stable. I'm not to sure how they fit but I seem to think they are in front of the arm pointing down and backwards

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 16:20   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Do you get a clonk when you brake or pull away? If you do then the tow hicth damper may well have gone. You do need some force to push the damper home but it can be done... or at least I can push my tow hitch home.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 17:05   #6
steveo
I really should get out more.......

None

Default Damp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcchus View Post

Hi
If the van is wet inside (damp) and the panels are soft the chances are it's been leaking for some time and this increases greatly the risk that the main frame has been damaged in some way

With the damp issue you first of all have to find out where it's coming in (I know it sounds obvious) and repair
Water runs down hill and tracks so the leak may have started in a different location to the damaged area.

Things to look for include damaged awning rails , damaged waist rails or hardened none setting bedding sealant (some repairers use sikaflex or equivalent)indicating it has not been changed or maintained to a decent standard.

Check for any leaks and damp around skylights ,aerials , windows or outside lockers .

I have replaced parts of a caravans main frame and wall boards as well as re sealing awning rails and trims.
It can be a daunting task but not insurmountable

Do not use silicone

Good luck
Regards
Steve
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 07:11   #7
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Hi
If the van is wet inside (damp) and the panels are soft the chances are it's been leaking for some time and this increases greatly the risk that the main frame has been damaged in some way

With the damp issue you first of all have to find out where it's coming in (I know it sounds obvious) and repair
Water runs down hill and tracks so the leak may have started in a different location to the damaged area.

Things to look for include damaged awning rails , damaged waist rails or hardened none setting bedding sealant (some repairers use sikaflex or equivalent)indicating it has not been changed or maintained to a decent standard.

Check for any leaks and damp around skylights ,aerials , windows or outside lockers .

I have replaced parts of a caravans main frame and wall boards as well as re sealing awning rails and trims.
It can be a daunting task but not insurmountable

Do not use silicone

Good luck
Regards
Steve
What is the best stuff to use as a sealant then Steve? I would have gone for silicone in the same position.
Old 25th July 2017, 17:10   #8
steveo

None

Default Silicone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
What is the best stuff to use as a sealant then Steve? I would have gone for silicone in the same position.
Hi Richard
The awning rails on most older caravans are sealed with non setting bedding sealant that's around £3/£4 a tube or sikaflex can be used but only if you have no intention of removing as once it's on its very difficult to seperate the two surfaces

Silicone will not bond the two surfaces and will eventually (after a short length of time ) let water in

The rails can normally be resealed every 5 years with non setting bedding sealant .

I believe our vans (Adria) are sealed with a substance similar to Sikaflex or Tiger seal but you have to be careful with that as a statement because sikaflex make sealant adhesive as well as adhesive sealant two very different products.
If I were sealing an awning rail I would use non setting bedding sealant as on roof lights heater covers, aerials etc or sealant adhesive because the objective is to seal as well as stick and not stick as well as seal.
Regards
Steve
Old 25th July 2017, 18:26   #9
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Cheers Steve, I re fitted the new roof light assembly using mastic on the outside of the roof, under the rim where it sits on the roof, as that is what the original one, that blew off ,was sealed down with.
Just need to trim the excess off next time I fetch it home.
Old 25th July 2017, 20:16   #10
steveo

None

Default Mastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Cheers Steve, I re fitted the new roof light assembly using mastic on the outside of the roof, under the rim where it sits on the roof, as that is what the original one, that blew off ,was sealed down with.
Just need to trim the excess off next time I fetch it home.
Hi Richard
If you mean non setting bedding sealant I would just leave the bit that squished out unless it's a massive amount because if you look at your other roof light you will see Adria didn't trim the original one or at least they haven't on mine.
Regards
Steve