Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th July 2017, 18:49   #301
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
Another interesting point quality stainless steel does not conduct electricity either.
Well that, I had to research, because it goes against all that I knew - all metals are conductive.

All that I was able to find was that the chromium oxide, like very many metal oxides can be none conductive, or a semi-conductor. The chromium oxide appears on the surface of stainless steel and can make the surface none conductive, the underlying stainless steel remains conductive. As confirmed sometimes, by being unable to get a decent connection to the metal surface with a test meter. Stainless steel, depending on the type, has a conductivity between 3% and 15% of that of copper - so not a good conductor, but certainly a conductor.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 00:27   #302
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Later models have full bore drains without the flattened/fanned ends.

TC
The photo's in my post above were of my Tourer late 04 plate so some do have the flat/fanned ends

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 16th September 2017 at 07:17..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 20:50   #303
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Well that, I had to research, because it goes against all that I knew - all metals are conductive.

All that I was able to find was that the chromium oxide, like very many metal oxides can be none conductive, or a semi-conductor. The chromium oxide appears on the surface of stainless steel and can make the surface none conductive, the underlying stainless steel remains conductive. As confirmed sometimes, by being unable to get a decent connection to the metal surface with a test meter. Stainless steel, depending on the type, has a conductivity between 3% and 15% of that of copper - so not a good conductor, but certainly a conductor.

The conductivity of quality stainless steel is lower than 0.000001% which is as good as rubber or plastic. As quality stainless steel has no carbon in it only silicon. Brings us back to the free electrons again. If there are no free electrons in the material then it can't conduct a current as it is the free electrons that allow the magic electricity to be conducted through it. I Remember reading an article half a century ago that when electricity was first discovered they thought it to be like water and would only flow down hill, until someone dropped the high end of the cable and it still worked.
I am going to invent a square wheel next year so when you stop the car will not run away from you it will just stay where you put it.
Only kidding!
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 21:12   #304
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
The conductivity of quality stainless steel is lower than 0.000001% which is as good as rubber or plastic. As quality stainless steel has no carbon in it only silicon. Brings us back to the free electrons again. If there are no free electrons in the material then it can't conduct a current as it is the free electrons that allow the magic electricity to be conducted through it. I Remember reading an article half a century ago that when electricity was first discovered they thought it to be like water and would only flow down hill, until someone dropped the high end of the cable and it still worked.
I am going to invent a square wheel next year so when you stop the car will not run away from you it will just stay where you put it.
Only kidding!
Carry On Cleo

sent
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 09:38   #305
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Default Leaf stopper

I note that Aldi /Lidi have the rolls of gutter leaf stopper in again as it is coming towards September, I think you can also buy the from the pound shop, here is the link below worth doing before the onset of the autumn leaf dropping etc

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...6&postcount=19

ad altiora tendo.

Old 15th August 2017, 16:34   #306
Alikris
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Connie SE

That would be useless for me, given the four pine trees a stonesthrow from my drive which drop their needles every autumn. I use open cell filter foam, which does the trick and keeps the pine needles out.

Ali.
  • Vicky: born Thursday, 15th April 2004 @ 08:20:55. The 95,246th 75 to be produced, and the 4,783rd 75 in British Racing Green Pearlescent.
Alikris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 00:41   #307
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikris View Post
That would be useless for me, given the four pine trees a stonesthrow from my drive which drop their needles every autumn. I use open cell filter foam, which does the trick and keeps the pine needles out.

Ali.
Hi Ali.
I can see where you are coming from with the fact that those pine needles get into very place possible, to add another note this time of year anyone with a sunroof which have not done the sunroof drain mod can also be vigilant if take the risk at your own peril.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 21st August 2017, 08:03   #308
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Couldn't agree more.
Pine needles are all around here which is what gave me the idea of introducing my plenum guard.

In extreme cases more precautions need to be taken to stop the small debris going in the plenum area.

Cover the underside of the plastic plenum hatches with either fine netting or open cell sponge.

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 07:19   #309
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Sadly it as to be said the summer is over, and the wet seasons are now upon us, so lets not for get to check those plenums each weekend when you do your weekly oil and fluids checks I hope cheers Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Old 17th September 2017, 15:28   #310
HarryBowie
Regular poster

Rover 75

Hiya. Can anyone tell me how long it takes roughly for your plenum drain to collect standing water 2 inches up the pollen filter and the drain hole full of leaves that won't shift?
I had my local garage clean it out approximately six weeks ago because those leaves just would not budge... I also had to physically show them where the drain was…
I'm finding the same today.
I have managed to drain the water but not the leaves. Can the drain really get clogged up that badly in six weeks? Laura

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HarryBowie is offline   Reply With Quote