Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st April 2010, 10:16   #1
The Rover Man
Loves to post

Rover 75 Classic CDT SE

Default Unusual Stalling Problem

I have an unusual stalling problem on my 75 diesel. It has only covered 68,000 miles and drives like a dream normally with no smoke or rattles.

It has stalled twice whilst overtaking and I have to stop and restart or switch the ignition off and on to get it going again. It only seems to happen in third gear at 3200 revs when I have floored the accelerator. If I keep my foot slightly off the floor, it revs right up. Once restarted, it runs fine again and I can take the revs right to the red.

I hope someone out there can give me a few suggesstions.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by The Rover Man; 21st April 2010 at 10:18..
The Rover Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 11:48   #2
FROGGY
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT CDTI

Hi Mike

Do you have a Synergy unit fitted?

If so try switching it off and see if the problem persists. It sounds a lot like an injector leakback problem, which shows up more if you have a Synergy.

Mick

IN THE BLACK NOW
FROGGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 12:33   #3
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

"Flooring" the pedal suddenly in a diesel just overfuels the engine, try to be more gracefull with your foot. Move the pedal down just ahead of the cars increase in speed and let the turbo do it's job for best results..

Remember, there is no throttle opening when you move the pedal. it only increases the amount of fuel you are adding untill the turbo catches up..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 17:35   #4
bramblp
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT

This is a sympton that I have experianced recently and have noticed several similar posts with the same problem and all have been in recent months, ( I wonder has the recent cold snap anything to do with it ), anyway I had a synergy fitted so I disconnected it and although it does not happen so often, the problem is still there. I also replaced the fuel filter and half filled the replacement with injector cleaner, still no difference. I think the next step will be to put it on the T4.

By the way when it happens you should not need to pull over, keep a cool head, keep your foot on the accelerator same, do not depress the clutch and simply switch off the ignition and back on again, I have done this several times now and it works every time.
bramblp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 20:39   #5
The Rover Man
Loves to post

Rover 75 Classic CDT SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROGGY View Post
Hi Mike

Do you have a Synergy unit fitted?

If so try switching it off and see if the problem persists. It sounds a lot like an injector leakback problem, which shows up more if you have a Synergy.

Mick
I do have a box fitted, but don't know anything about it. It's a Speed Buster RP-MCU618-KIT/5. I found a German site selling them for 599 Euros. I will try disconnecting it tomorrow and take the revs up.

I will also try to source a leakback testing kit. I think a relative should have one.

Thanks for the advice, Mick.
Old 21st April 2010, 20:44   #6
The Rover Man
Loves to post

Rover 75 Classic CDT SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
"Flooring" the pedal suddenly in a diesel just overfuels the engine, try to be more gracefull with your foot. Move the pedal down just ahead of the cars increase in speed and let the turbo do it's job for best results..

Remember, there is no throttle opening when you move the pedal. it only increases the amount of fuel you are adding untill the turbo catches up..
Thanks for the advice. This is my first diesel car in over 15 years and I can well believe that I'm driving it wrong!

Is this just something that happens if you floor a diesel - I thought the ECU would prevent it from flooding itself.
Old 21st April 2010, 21:00   #7
The Rover Man
Loves to post

Rover 75 Classic CDT SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblp View Post
This is a sympton that I have experianced recently and have noticed several similar posts with the same problem and all have been in recent months, ( I wonder has the recent cold snap anything to do with it ), anyway I had a synergy fitted so I disconnected it and although it does not happen so often, the problem is still there. I also replaced the fuel filter and half filled the replacement with injector cleaner, still no difference. I think the next step will be to put it on the T4.

By the way when it happens you should not need to pull over, keep a cool head, keep your foot on the accelerator same, do not depress the clutch and simply switch off the ignition and back on again, I have done this several times now and it works every time.
It's good to know I'm not the only one with this problem. As I only got the car a month ago, I have already given it a full service - oil, filter, air filter, pollen filter, PCV filter and Intercooler O rings. I haven't run an injector cleaner through yet, but it's on my list for this weekend.

I thought I was in big trouble the first time it happened, but like yourself, I switched the ignition off and on the second time and kept myself going. The weird thing is it only happens in third gear. I can floor the accelorator in any other gear and redline it without a problem, but when I try it in third, engine dies.

I am tempted to disconnect the battery and leave it for a while - this has worked for a few other cars with weird problems.
Old 21st April 2010, 21:08   #8
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblp View Post

turning off the ignition when the car is moving at speed, and starting the engine again, can lead to a backfire that will destroy your catalyst.
tells you this in the book.
Old 21st April 2010, 21:27   #9
The Rover Man
Loves to post

Rover 75 Classic CDT SE

turning off the ignition when the car is moving at speed, and starting the engine again, can lead to a backfire that will destroy your catalyst.
tells you this in the book.[/quote]

I did this with my foot on the clutch and only let it off after switching off and on. Hopefully, there wouldn't be much unburnt fuel in the cat. I will be keeping my fingers crossed though!
Old 21st April 2010, 21:54   #10
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

>>>Is this just something that happens if you floor a diesel.<<<

It shouldn't happen, but it may be a contributing factor to the problem you are getting..

About the only way to stop a diesel engine (without damaging it) is to cut off it's fuel supply. Bearing that in mind does cut down the places you should be looking in..

As for ECU's I hate em with a vengeance!! They claimed they would help diagnose engine problems, but the reality seems to be, they cause most of the problems, and seriously hinder DIY repairs!!
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote