Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th March 2008, 08:21   #1
daz75

ex 800

Question 75 kv6 rebuild

Im thinking of buying a dead w/2000 75 60,000m {suspected bhg}! having owned a j/92 800 many yrs ago and also done a little research on the kv6 2.5 and read about some of its inherent faults , im reserving a little caution to say the least before I start pumping my hard earned cash into the project! Is there anyone out there who has carried out the above repair who can advise . Ive priced up the parts HGK,BELTS X 3,WATER PUMP ETC for £300 not including thermo housing + skim if required.My main concern is that i know mechanics that wont touch thebecause they could end up doing it again in as little as 3000m.Is this due to their lack of knowledge and experience with this eng? Or maybe time is money and not enough care and inspection carried out on components before rebuild?
daz75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 09:02   #2
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

First off it sounds like a very interesting little purchase you're thinking about there and best of luck with it.

The v6 engine used in the 75 was gone over pretty thoroughly due to the weknesses that came to light when it was launched in the 800, so apart from certain ancilliaries such as the crank and cam sensors and VIS valves it's a pretty tough unit - head gasket failure for example is a rare occurence. However they can go wrong and so it always pays to do ask the usual questions about service history before making a decision. I've certainly not heard of both head gaskets going on one before so I'm assuming you've made the normal checks for oil in water etc? Otherwise the thermostat housing would be the first item I would look at along with external pipework before diving in and getting surrounded by an awful lot of bits.

As far as the cylinder heads are concerned, if they are anything like the K4 ones then having them skimmed is not advised unless in extreme circumstances. Obviously while it's stripped down then doing the belts is a darned good idea.

There'll be plenty more info coming your way in a while, so just thought I would put in my tuppence worth for now.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 09:03   #3
GERFIX
I really should get out more.......

MINI COOPER S

Daz, AFAIK there is not the same HGF rate with the KV6 as there is with the K1.8. Far from it in fact. Is the car you are thinking of buying definitely showing HGF symptoms. I'd make sure before parting with your hard earned in case it's something more serious. Who knows though, it might actually be something simpler and less expensive to fix. Good luck and welcome to the club.

GERFIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 13:14   #4
daz75

ex 800

thank you for the info pete.two more questions for you if you dont mind.1] do you have more info on cam sensor? 2] do you have a contact for anyone who may have some experience with top end rebuilds?
daz75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 13:19   #5
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Lates is a member on here who has the heads off a few v6's, I think that there are a few special tools neede to lock the pulleys up when doing the belts.
What symptoms do you have?
Old 16th March 2008, 13:31   #6
bad-head-day
Loves to post

Citroen C4 Loeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz75 View Post
1] do you have more info on cam sensor?
When it failed on my car it looked like it wasn't working when hot, so the engine would turn over but wouldn't ignite. I swapped my own sensor & lead for about £75 but you could butcher your old one piece sensor to make a lead & save some money.

The fault stopped me from making short journies because I couldn't rely on it starting up. Once the sensor was changed the problem was completely cured, and it was a very easy job.

Some more info on how to change the sensor here: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ead.php?t=5216

Last edited by bad-head-day; 16th March 2008 at 13:43.. Reason: extra link info
bad-head-day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 17:14   #7
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Looks like I got well beaten to answering your questions there daz!

Plenty of info in here about the sensor though, have a search - it'll lead you around to all sort of little places and you'll get loads of useful info.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 18:58   #8
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

With regard to the 800 kv6 head gasket problems, the 75/zt kv6 is a different engine and far more reliable. The 800's could suffer from hgf very quickly after they had been changed due to poor design
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote