Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th November 2006, 08:22   #1
confusedone

rover 75 saloon

Default abs problem with rover 75 cdt

can anyone help my abs light came on and my speedo stopped working so i replaced the abs senser on the o/s great all worked fine for 24 hrs then while i was driving the abs light came back on after a few mile goes out again then when i come to brake i get a grating noise like metal to metal on my o/s front wheel so i checked pads look fine but i still replaced them i then take car for test drive no abs light at first but when braking grating noise still there and brakes not very good after a couple of mins light comes on and when you brake no noise and brakes work fine after a few miles light goes out again and the brake poblem retuns its like this all the time on and off i have also removed o/s wheel hub and cleaned all around
confusedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 08:30   #2
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Hi There confusedone

I seem to think that if you have ABS warning lights showing it can either be the sensor or something to do with the wheel bearing.

I'm sure a tecky will be along soon after there cup of tea and bacon rool in the mean time take a seat and have a look about
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 21:15   #3
paulmariner
Avid contributor

75 CDTi Connie Auto tourer 54 160 re-map

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedone View Post
can anyone help my abs light came on and my speedo stopped working so i replaced the abs senser on the o/s great all worked fine for 24 hrs then while i was driving the abs light came back on after a few mile goes out again then when i come to brake i get a grating noise like metal to metal on my o/s front wheel so i checked pads look fine but i still replaced them i then take car for test drive no abs light at first but when braking grating noise still there and brakes not very good after a couple of mins light comes on and when you brake no noise and brakes work fine after a few miles light goes out again and the brake poblem retuns its like this all the time on and off i have also removed o/s wheel hub and cleaned all around
My 75 CDT coincidentally, showed the same symptoms today;
driving along, ABS light shows, 15 minutes later speedo packs up.
Switched off, restarted but to no avail, still kaput.
Any ideas, anyone? All suggestions greatly appreciated (and I haven't got a lot of loot!!).
paulmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 21:48   #4
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Default Moved to get more attention

I' m going to move this post into the tech section where it will get the attention it deserves.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 21:50   #5
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Bump

Can anybody assist with this apparently very serious problem.

Thank you
Old 13th November 2006, 22:05   #6
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

This could be a number of things:

1. duff wheel bearing- the bit the sensor senses is in the wheel bearing and if the bearing goes the problem you have can show up. I wonder whether the grating is a duff bearing?

2. an older 75? If so then water can get into the cable and rise up to the ecu. The info below posted by roverron on .org (thanks Ron )

There is a known issue which causes the ABS light to stay on.
Water travels by capilliary action up the ABS front wheel sensor lead into the ABS modulator/ecu.

It applies up to VIN RJ138975

There used to be a repair kit so check availability:

HARNESS YMQ 104730
TUBE YZV000010
TUBE YZV000020

3. Also reported is the front o/s ABS cable coming out of its clip and getting wrapped on the track rod end. This has been reported to causes the speedo fault you describe.

4. also worth checking is that the abs sensor cable has not been chaffed against the wheel through coming loose. Again this will set the lamp and speedo problems off.

hth

Mike
Old 14th November 2006, 07:21   #7
confusedone

rover 75 saloon

thank you for your replys do you need any special tools to replace front wheel bearing ...does it need to go on a press any idea of cost for bearing...once again thank you very much
Old 14th November 2006, 10:07   #8
EnEnGee
Posted a thing or two

CDT Tourer (SORN) & 2.0 V6 Saloon

Further to other comments, you might like to look at the security of the cable on the suspension strut. I had to replace the nearside front in April this year as the cable had come adrift from it's clips on the strut and was flapping around and had worn away on the drive shaft meaning the signal from the sensor was lost. This can be seen by putting the wheels on full lock and shining a torch in to the wheel arch.
EnEnGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2006, 10:50   #9
confusedone

rover 75 saloon

Replaced Front Wheel Bearing Today All Problems Fixed Thank You For Advice Have Recommended This Site To All Rover 75 Owners I Know Cheers
Old 11th December 2006, 12:32   #10
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Took a little while but we got you there in the end. Thanks to all who helped with this problem.
Very glad to hear it is now resolved.