Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th December 2006, 18:34   #1
Andyb123
Loves to post

Rover 75 2L CDT Conn Se HiLine SATNAV

Default CO2 emissions manual Vs Auto gearbox

Hi all,

Can any one explain why the CO2 emissions should be so much higher for the 2.0 L CDt at 190g/kg compared to those from a manual at 163g/kg.
The reason I ask is that for the automatic the road tax is set at £160 /year yet for the manual variant it is only £135.

Does the automatic really generate that much more CO2 compared to the manual gearbox equivalent. Surely its the size of the engine and the fuel it burns that determines the amount of CO2 generated?.

Or am I missing something here.

Thanks for any help on this one.

Andy
Andyb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 19:49   #2
Duotone
This is my second home

Default Car Tax

Even worse news. the cost of car tax for a 190 G/KM car,
which the Rover 75 2CDT auto and 2CDTi.auto is £195 per 12 months.
The government says the auto box pushes up the CO2 emmisions.
Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 21:04   #3
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Ah yes that explains it Andy yours is an Auto
My manual does nearly 50 MPG everywhere but I guess yours if around 40 MPG so that equates to a lot more C02 hence you are stung for more Tax
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 13:55   #4
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

But then I wonder if it still works out cheaper because you don't have to pay for replacing the clutch etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 14:00   #5
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by apywell View Post
But then I wonder if it still works out cheaper because you don't have to pay for replacing the clutch etc.....
Auto's have clutches. Just a bit different to manual 'box ones. They could still suffer an accident but then it may be a whole new 'box rather than just replacing the plates like in manual setups.

(Somebody could well prove me wrong, of course. I'm dangerous with what I know sometimes... )
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 14:05   #6
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Autobox failure is thankfully pretty rare. A complete rebuild is in the order of £900.00 and would probably once in a lifetime if at all. If well serviced they just don't break.

Manual gearbox, clutch replacements regular. Slave and master cylinder failures much more common and very expensive repair / replacement.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Personally I prefer the ultra relaxed auto mode of transport. Not everybodys cup of tea though.

Overall as far as repair costs against increase road fund licence costs, I don't think there is much in it.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 14:21   #7
Andyb123
Loves to post

Rover 75 2L CDT Conn Se HiLine SATNAV

Hi Grey Ghost,

The smooth ride of the auto is very nice especially when you switch on the cruise control on those long motorway trips and the best bit I loike about auto's is when youre in stop start traffic. I used to get a sore left ankle with all the clutch work creeping the car along, not a problem with an automatic.

I'll never go back to a manual box, I find I can concentrate on the roadbetter, I really think it has improved my driving a little if not a lot.
Andyb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 14:59   #8
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyb123 View Post
Hi Grey Ghost,

The smooth ride of the auto is very nice especially when you switch on the cruise control on those long motorway trips and the best bit I loike about auto's is when youre in stop start traffic. I used to get a sore left ankle with all the clutch work creeping the car along, not a problem with an automatic.

I'll never go back to a manual box, I find I can concentrate on the roadbetter, I really think it has improved my driving a little if not a lot.
I've driven loads of autos but this is the first I've owned, I have to drive a lot in London and as anybody that has done this knows an auto box is absolutely essential in these conditions.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 15:34   #9
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

The last 3 cars I've had have been autos, Carlton CD 2 ltr, Rover 827 Sterling and Honda Accord 2.2 v-tec, and I thought I'd never go back to a manual, but I couldn't find a 75 diesel auto Conn SE in Moonstone Green or White Gold (what do you mean I'm too picky), so bought a manual.

No regrets at all, just don't notice it's manual really. I do about 20k miles a year, lots of M-way miles, but also lots of urban, including London, and use the cruise control a lot.

The only slight niggle, on the auto I could just lean the A-Z atlas on the gearlever, now I can't, and don't have satnav!
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote