Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th January 2007, 11:39   #11
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon W View Post
GG - what's the best way for three independent computers to share one phone line?

One computer is hooked up to the phone line via an external broadband modem. The other two computers are nowhere near the phone socket or modem.
You will require an ADSL modem router preferably with four Ethernet ports, either wired or wired / wi-fi.

All computers need to be ethernet capable and or have a wi-fi card or USB wireless adaptor installed, most modern laptops have wi-fi as standard.

In the first scenario (wired) all computers are connected to the broadband modem router by CAT 5E ethernet cables and the modem router is set to do address translation. This means simply putting your ADSL logon username and password into the router. All other configuration is already set up and you should need to do no more. Your computers will need to be set to use ethernet and to get IP address automatically (via DHCP) a PC / Windows person will advise how to do this it is quite simple. On a modern Mac it is quite automatic. This is left on 24/7. Consequently when you start any computer and want to access internet or email it is available instantly.

In the wi-fi scenario, the nearest computer can still be wired to the router and the other machines talk to it by radio. One of several different types of encryption passwords should be set within the router to protect your data in transit.

My preference for ADSL modem routers is Netgear DG834G Wi-Fi modem router.
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/522...FSBLMAodZhyeLQ

This is about the best price available, installation and setup is childs play (literally)

Last edited by GreyGhost; 27th January 2007 at 11:53..
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 11:44   #12
Rich
Posted a thing or two

http://Roadca.ms - Letting you see what they see!

And USB Wi-Fi adaptors for desktop pc's are cheap as chips these days!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 21:28   #13
Simon
Banned

-

I've got two PC's running on a wireless network through an ADSL modem. (LinkSys, I forget which one....) but it has wireless support (obviously) and four ethernet connections.

Set up was a relatively painless experience. The most difficult bit was getting the information required for setup from my ISP. They guy on the other end of the phone didn't seem to understand what I was talking about. Seemed I knew more about wireless and ADSL connections than he did.....

Now all running nicely. We've just inherrited a laptop which may go wireless soon with the aid of a wireless adapter card. Then I can stream my mp3's into the garage, along with car data from this forum while I tinker away...

Make sure you encrypt a wireless network though with a good (ie difficult and complicated) password. There's someone in my neighbourhood with an open network... :SHOCKED: Not good....
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 21:43   #14
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

One of the nice little tricks that the netgear router does for you is. Enter a word or phrase into the wireless setup section and hit the generate button. Hey Presto it will generate an encryption code from it, takes the pain out of creating a 26 character Hex key when using 128bit Hex encryption. Does the same for the other encryption methods too.
Old 27th January 2007, 21:45   #15
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
One of the nice little tricks that the netgear router does for you is. Enter a word or phrase into the wireless setup section and hit the generate button. Hey Presto it will generate an encryption code from it, takes the pain out of creating a 26 character Hex key when using 128bit Hex encryption. Does the same for the other encryption methods too.
Same goes for LinkSys set-up program. Generates a stupidly-long key for you to copy-and-paste
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 22:00   #16
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon D View Post
Same goes for LinkSys set-up program. Generates a stupidly-long key for you to copy-and-paste
Netgear is just a touch smarter, can't copy and paste, have to write it down and give it to the client for their records. Probably find it's the same software with a different front end