Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th March 2008, 21:07   #1
Z T Top
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ SE 131

Default Locking wheel bolt removal HELP!!!!!

My car is fitted with what looks like Mcguard locking wheel nuts, a few days ago while it was sunny I thought of cleaning the insides the wheels and found that three of the locking wheel nuts would not budge, and whilst trying I have completely damaged the head of the nut, admitting defeat I took it to a local garage today who also failed to remove it.

So the question is does anyone know someone that can get the useless piece of trash of my wheel?

Know wonder Mcgard are so effective at stopping thieves from nicking your wheels, the only problem is they also stop you from removing them.

Last edited by GreyGhost; 12th March 2008 at 09:16..
Z T Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 22:51   #2
MGOracle
Banned

MG ZT CDTi 135+

There are a couple of ways. First, they are only aluminium. Drill through the middle of it with a small decent drill bit and it will collapse.

Else, spot weld a proper nut to it then use a decent long breaker bar to provide shed loads of torque so as not to break the weld.

Or, drill a bit into it, reverse thread a bolt in, so as you tighten the bolt it undoes the locking wheel nut.

Lastly, one of those socket grabbers like this

http://www.nextag.co.uk/wheel-nut-re...0--search-html
MGOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 22:56   #3
John J
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8

The lockers on mine had like an antitamper washer on which was free spinning even if the stud was tight. I smacked a 19mm socket on to push it back and then smacked a 17mm socket onto the stud and carefully undid it.
I'm not sure what a Mcgard is like though.
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 09:19   #4
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

These are what the professionals use:-
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...rch=wheel+nut#

Emergency Locking Wheel Nut Remover 4 Pc
4 Piece Kit. Emergency locking Wheel Nut Remover Kit supplied in a metal storage case.
Sizes: 17, 18.5, 21.5, 26mm. All 38mm long. £19.89

Same as in MGO's post

Last edited by GreyGhost; 12th March 2008 at 09:50..
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 10:29   #5
MGOracle
Banned

MG ZT CDTi 135+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
These are what the professionals use:-
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...rch=wheel+nut#

Emergency Locking Wheel Nut Remover 4 Pc
4 Piece Kit. Emergency locking Wheel Nut Remover Kit supplied in a metal storage case.
Sizes: 17, 18.5, 21.5, 26mm. All 38mm long. £19.89

Same as in MGO's post
Yours are cheaper
MGOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 16:19   #6
sylvester
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default A stitch in time...

A lesson to us all - whip off those nuts and apply some copper grease before replacing!
sylvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 19:09   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvester View Post
A lesson to us all - whip off those nuts and apply some copper grease before replacing!
It's a dilemma really. Add some grease and you minimise seizure, but the torque setting goes wrong. I believe the 92ftlbs/125Nm torque specified for the wheel bolts is for a non-lubricated thread. That's the standard condition in terms of car maintenance. When you add the protective lube, the bolts will be overtight when torqued to spec. Of course the use of an air wrench by the local garage is another sure fire way to get seized wheel studs. Personally, I will not allow an air tool on my wheels if I can prevent it.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2008, 00:42   #8
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Broken Wheel Bolts

I phoned the makers of my wheel bolts. They sell a tool guaranteed to remove any locking bolt.
However, there is an easier way. They told me to let the tyre down and phone the AA as they all carry the removal tool.
I'm with RAC. They came to the house and though he didn't have the tool he 'smacked' a slightly undersized socket on to the head and removed it.
As a result, though I tighten 4 wheel bolts to 90 ft lbs I tighten the locking bolts to 80 ft lbs.
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 20:46   #9
Z T Top
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ SE 131

Thanks guys for all your attempts to help me with my problem but I am afraid none have worked.
The idea was great about the AA but unfortunately we broke the poor AA mans tool twice.
Tried an X Part garage (Llay garage, Wrexham) and they could not help.
Even visited Demon Tweeks in Wrexham who confidently said they had special tools and that removal would not be a problem but it would cost me £40, I agreed but after half an hour they gave up. They did confirm that the make of my wheel bolts is McGard and told me how to order a new tool though pointed out that the bolts were so tight they would undoubtedly strip a new tool.
I then got a bright idea, if I drilled a hole into the bolt though the center of the wheel lock, tapped the hole and fastened the lock against the bolt with a small counter sunk bolt then used a wheel brace to remove the whole lot, surely that would work. It took an hour and many trips to the grinder to resharpen the drill bits to drill out the hardened steel and triple nickel chrome finished bold, but finally I was ready to use my wheel brace. But yet again to no avail, this time it striped the small bolts twice.
So tomorrow I will attempt to drill out the bolts.
The morale of this story is if you want your wheels not to be stolen buy McGard wheel locks but don’t expect to be able to ever remove them yourself.
Z T Top is offline   Reply With Quote