Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th March 2008, 15:48   #1
Rupert
Avid contributor

MG ZT+ 1.8T

Default Squeaking clutch on my ZT 1.8T

I've heard that squeaking clutches on four or five year old ZTs are not at all uncommon, the sound coming from the centre plate as the clutch is engaged. In my case this happens most often when I pull away in nose to tail traffic, i.e. when the clutch is possibly quite warm.

I understand that the problem was cured by a subsequent design update, but to appease my wife's concern that we're about to be stranded with a burnt out clutch, can anyone please tell me if I have anything to worry about. I have heard that if you can ignore the squeak there's no need to be concerned. The car drives as sweet as a nut otherwise, and I'm not a clutch abuser in the normal run of things (the car is a March '04 facelift model).
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 16:01   #2
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

I believe that a type of clutch, cheaper was used but had this annoying squeak. Nothing more, just a noise. It will be fine from what I have read.
Old 15th March 2008, 17:37   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The clutch lining material has a harder spec which creates the squeek/groan. Not an issue to get too worried about.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 17:57   #4
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Rupe, nothing to worry about at all, Ford Granadas used to make the exact same noise caused by a combination of friction material and absence of springs on the friction plate...on the earlier clutches on the 75/ZT they didnt have any cushioning springs in the friction plate either, which caused the squeel...the later ones have springs built into the friction plate which eliminates the squeel.

I have both the old and modified versions sat on my garage floor, there is no difference except the springs, so if you have the clutch replaced at some point make sure they install the later modified version.