Notices

Old 17th April 2019, 22:49   #21
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
clf - actually, taking a recording in the workplace is not illegal (I believe), but may or may not be of value depending on the circumstances. It may also be against an individual's terms of contract in which case it could be counterproductive.
I cannot remember the terms, but there are terms to deal with the legality of it, such as transcribing notes from it, sharing with consent, and obtaining consent in the first place, ie recording a disciplinary meeting to be transcribed for which a copy would be given to all parties. Taking of notes is advised instead so all parties can sign as verification of what was discussed, and copies offered at the time.

The general guidance in the case I mentioned above, (so I was told by the colleague involved) given by the union legal bods, was not to even mention it, as permission was not given to be recorded, and its use could have been interpreted as entrapment and even a breach of human rights (to work I presume) .

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 22:56   #22
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Safeguarding requires Teachers to be fair to all pupils - I too question why someone is txting/posting in class.

But if it is a cry for help - then Safeguarding rules would allow the School to review such “evidence” even if it would be inadmissible in a court of law or in a disciplinary.
It would need to be investigated of course, and a pupil even speaking of taking a recording (listened to or not) I imagine should be enough to raise concerns. But as I said, it is still one sided. I knew some pupils felt 'picked on' when I was at school, but being there, I also saw the distractions involved. I also had my distractions, but I never felt picked on, I knew I deserved it on most occasions lol.

I would still suggest NOT recording as it will destroy trust not just with the teacher involved, but others in the school, and possibly lead to more bullying from peers. There must be some form of pupil advocate or pastoral care system in place to approach. Even parents.

Old 18th April 2019, 05:49   #23
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
It would need to be investigated of course, and a pupil even speaking of taking a recording (listened to or not) I imagine should be enough to raise concerns. But as I said, it is still one sided. I knew some pupils felt 'picked on' when I was at school, but being there, I also saw the distractions involved. I also had my distractions, but I never felt picked on, I knew I deserved it on most occasions lol.

I would still suggest NOT recording as it will destroy trust not just with the teacher involved, but others in the school, and possibly lead to more bullying from peers. There must be some form of pupil advocate or pastoral care system in place to approach. Even parents.
Totally agree - what I don’t understand is how a pupil can post on here about what is happening at the time - but not think to record (voice) the actual events if they are regular and repeated.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2019, 07:45   #24
ROVER2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
NO! It would be a very bad idea! It is illegal to record in a private place without being made aware of it.

This is where keeping a diary and eye witnesses come into play.

My concern though is posting whilst in class makes it sound like there is a reason behind the struggle. A lack of attention (I know it is hard, harder still for modern youth), causes us all to miss things, and potentially fall behind. It is this that has started the cycle.

I am sorry Thomas, but put your phone/tablet down and pay attention in class. This 'picking on you' has likely come from noticing your lack of attention in class whilst you doodle, on your phone looking out the window, writing down what you will do next to your car (I have done just this, only for me it was what carry out I was going to get for the next party lol). You then ask a question that has likely been explained whilst you were 'busy' doing something else. It is these sorts of things that frustrate a teacher, especially when they are no longer allowed to even slam a rule against your desk and confiscate your phone.
At the time I did this post i had my hand up even after this post I had my hand up till the end of lesson

Sent from my DUA-L22 using Tapatalk
Old 18th April 2019, 07:56   #25
ROVER2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
first, you should not be on this forum during class time. It brings no credit your post about getting on with your work.

If you feel you are being ill treated by your teacher, then speak to the head master/mistress.

As a child, it is important that a TEACHER TREATS A PUPIL WITH RESECT but it is also important that the pupil treats the teacher with respect .

macafee2
He doesn't treat me with respect
I treat all my teachers with respect all he does is talk about me behind my back and takes the mick of my opinion

Old 18th April 2019, 09:28   #26
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Thomas, if you really feel this teacher has it in for you, then the first step would be to politely approach him after the lesson, and tell him you feel he is treating you unreasonably. Tell him you want to learn and do well, but feel that he is ignoring you.
Maybe it will do some good, maybe not, if it doesn't, then perhaps your head of year, or head of pastoral care may be able to help you out.If all else fails, speak to the head of the school.
I would advise against filing an "official complaint",at this stage.
Take the gentle approach first and see how you get on. Good luck. I totally agree with what the others say though, keep off your phone during lesson time.
Old 18th April 2019, 09:30   #27
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

To gain respect, you must earn it. By posting on a forum whilst in the middle of a class, is probably one of the most disrespectful actions a teacher would face.

Put the phone down! At least pretend to pay attention. Your teacher will have noticed your actions, and no doubt it is not the first time.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Old 18th April 2019, 10:41   #28
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Very wise advice from Rich (RPWC) and clf above.

Given Tomas' age, I would suggest that he speaks to his parents about his perceived situation.

We must not forget that Thomas got quite a hard time from many members on the forum when he first arrived here. Fitting in is a skill that most people have to learn in life (as well evidenced by my own popularity amongst the membership )

Thomas - share your feelings with your parents. They will be able to judge the best way forward.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2019, 12:27   #29
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

While I wouldn’t agree with what Thomas is doing with his phone in a lesson, teacher should confiscate until the lesson is over in my view, can’t help feeling a bit chuffed he comes on here for advice! What a compliment.

Thomas, some people just don’t get on with some other people and while you are in his presence what matters is how, not when, you resolve it. He might be feeling pressure from his bosses, or in some other difficulty which is making him impatient.

Ultimately of course, he is in charge so you have to manage the situation so that you come out of it well. Learning how to do that will help you a huge amount in life, probably more than the lesson! Leave your phone alone, that’s a must. Not just in his lesson but all others as well.

If you don’t understand something and he doesn’t respond to your hand being raised, jot your question down and give it to him at the end of the lesson with the polite message – ‘Sir, these are the things I did not understand when you were too busy to answer. I am trying but it is difficult’. Then leave it up to him and see what happens.

Don't despair! He is not against you, he is just impatient!
Old 18th April 2019, 13:59   #30
ROVER2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
While I wouldn’t agree with what Thomas is doing with his phone in a lesson, teacher should confiscate until the lesson is over in my view, can’t help feeling a bit chuffed he comes on here for advice! What a compliment.

Thomas, some people just don’t get on with some other people and while you are in his presence what matters is how, not when, you resolve it. He might be feeling pressure from his bosses, or in some other difficulty which is making him impatient.

Ultimately of course, he is in charge so you have to manage the situation so that you come out of it well. Learning how to do that will help you a huge amount in life, probably more than the lesson! Leave your phone alone, that’s a must. Not just in his lesson but all others as well.

If you don’t understand something and he doesn’t respond to your hand being raised, jot your question down and give it to him at the end of the lesson with the polite message – ‘Sir, these are the things I did not understand when you were too busy to answer. I am trying but it is difficult’. Then leave it up to him and see what happens.

Don't despair! He is not against you, he is just impatient!
I came here because this group is my second home and I class thile people on here as part of my family