Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th April 2019, 22:58   #1
roy 1953
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

Default mpg

Hi again,
had my rover diesel connoiseur se now for a week and love it. checked plenum drains all dry and clear. drivers door card was loose, now re-fitted with new clips, rear nearside footwell found to be wet, on removing rear seat found two large puddles of water under there and wet foam insulation, checked sunroof drains and found three leaking into car, these fixed.
Nothing on engine has yet been checked except levels, had a run today on motorway and found fuel consumption to be high at 33 mpg on computer.
Temp gauge never went up over the 7 o clock mark, will this affect fuel consumption?, [ I have ordered an inline thermostat ].
Roy
roy 1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2019, 23:10   #2
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

My CDT manual has the standard stat, the gauge rises to 9 o'clock after a couple of miles, and stays there, whatever the conditions. Over the 16 months and 28,000 miles I've had it, it has averaged 45mpg, and I know others average closer to 50mpg. I take it that the brakes aren't binding, and that the oil, fuel and air filters have been changed? Might be worth booking one of the forum mechanics on here to give it the once-over, and connect it to T4 diagnostics.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2019, 00:43   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Forget the 'computer' until you do a brim to brim fill. It is notoriously inaccurate. My own one reads 10% low.

Similarly the temp gauge is only a guide, however 7oclock is too low. 9 o'clock position is anywhere between 75 and 105. Use the obd display. (Search for 'wip' in the search facility, and that will bring up the how to).

The stat will affect the mpg negatively, and it does read like yours is faulty, however do not panic regarding mpg until you get the brim to brim. If you find your mpg display is inaccurate, then it can be adjusted using the how to mentioned above.

Incidentally mine is an auto, which displays 33 to 36mpg, allowing for the 10 % lower, for my commute it is about right. 10 miles from cold with mix driving. The autos on our cars are roughly 10mpg less than the manuals. (Last longish run I had, the car did about 45 mpg)

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 15th April 2019 at 00:49..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2019, 07:22   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

The cool running engine will drop your mpg by a few miles each gallon, once the stat is fitted you should see an improvement.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:36   #5
roy 1953
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

The brakes are not binding and the filters and oil have not been changed yet, service due next month according to the service history.
Once I receive and fit the inline thermostat I will do a brim to brim and a correction in the computer as stated.
Also mot due in a month so will carry on from there.
Thanks everyone
Roy
Old 15th April 2019, 20:21   #6
Drummer Boy
Regular poster

ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy 1953 View Post
The brakes are not binding and the filters and oil have not been changed yet, service due next month according to the service history.
Once I receive and fit the inline thermostat I will do a brim to brim and a correction in the computer as stated.
Also mot due in a month so will carry on from there.
Thanks everyone
Roy

Also worth getting the MAF and MAP sensors checked to be sure they are in spec. If your inlet manifold is gunked up, chances are the MAP sensor will be too. I cleaned mine when I bypassed the EGR. Check the PCV too. A bit of Miller's Ecomax diesel has helped the car run a bit more economically too.

That said, my ZTT CDTi manual only seems to do 42 combined, and I've developed a pretty light foot. Even on long manly motorway journeys I can't improve it, and the mpg is best when I do 50mph ish, so A roads are a blessing! If you find a magic bullet to improve mpg any further I'll definitely be interested!
Drummer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2019, 20:34   #7
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Not really relevant to you but my petrol does about 31 on my normal commute during the summer and about 29 during the winter. Getting the engine up to temperature is key and on a run, when the engine is hot for most of the journey its running 35+mpg
I'd start with the thermostat.
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2019, 20:48   #8
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

I got 16 mpg out of my V8 ZTT yesterday....................

232750. Over 3 months since I drove Banana.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2019, 21:27   #9
roy 1953
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

How do I get the map and maf sensors checked?, and where are they?, is it a check for cleanliness or an electrical check, can I just blank off the egr valve as I have done on my ford transit mk 7 without any ill effects or will I need the by-pass pipe I have seen for sale. I am new to these engines and don't know the layout yet, haven't even taken the engine cover off until I receive the thermostat.
Roy
Old 17th April 2019, 19:32   #10
roy 1953
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

Received and fitted the in line thermostat, now the temp gauge is at 8 oclock
and 84 degrees.
Will see if this makes a difference to the mpg, found the info on maf and map sensors in how to section.
Roy.