Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th April 2019, 21:11   #21
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

As the guy in the U-Tube video said, he has his videos and music on a memory stick in his glove box, presumably connected using this provided connector:

https://ibb.co/mCbG55q

and connecting it to the back of the unit here:

https://i.ibb.co/XFSTmVB/IMG-20190411-214438.jpg

But there is no USB port or SD card slot as such on the unit. I guess it would be relatively simple to hook up the connector and re-route it to the front fascia somewhere...
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Pueblo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 22:25   #22
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

The model number is SWM-9218, it's available on all the regular chinese import sites like wish.com and aliexpress but oddly costs more

There seems to be no SD card slot anywhere but there is a connector on the rear for USB.

I wasn't aware that it ran Android Go, if so, it should run OK with just 1GB Ram.

There will be no way to upgrade the ram but for the price, it looks good.

My biggest concern is the Double Din adapter, I looked around for as much information as I could find and the ones available on ebay and the like, seem to be too small for a lot of double din head units and so need to be cut to fit.

If you have the adapter, can you try and see if the face of the stereo fits through the gap?

I'm expecting a bit of hot glue, some cable ties and a lot of duct tape to get it to stay in place though.

I may buy one and at least try it out, then if i'm happy with how it works, get an MG7 double din fascia like this one
Born Friday, 9th April 2004 @ 09:54:49
This vehicle was the 14,388th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
This vehicle was the 2,491st ZT CDTi + (135) to be made out of 4,184
This vehicle was the 2,113th ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
EdgarDonaldBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2019, 02:47   #23
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Hello EdgarDonaldBalls!

The adapter I bought comes from Car Audio Direct, on eBay. I don't have a photo of it, but it looks identical to the one you described. Here is a link:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/XGcAA...st/s-l1600.jpg

Difficult to know if it's the same size as the one you wish to buy, bur Car Audio Direct sell it for £13.99. Mine arrived a bit bent, and they want me to send it back for a refund, but since the plastic is quite pliable, I'll hang onto it for now to see if it fits ok. I've contacted CarAudioDirect with the dimensions of the unit for their opinion as to should fit or not. I will try as you suggest to see if the face of the stereo fits through the gap, later today.

BTW, here's another eBay seller, showing lots of info on what appears to be the same unit:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Inch-Do...UAAOSw7q5crbCL

£60...

Last edited by Pueblo_Boy; 12th April 2019 at 04:41.. Reason: more info
Old 12th April 2019, 08:19   #24
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Unhappy

EdgarDonaldBalls asked me: "If you have the adapter, can you try and see if the face of the stereo fits through the gap?". The answer is no, not quite.

https://ibb.co/5j0GCjd

Is difficult to see well, but the unit does not quite pass through the gap...I'm guessing that will be a problem..? the adapter is also warped, though since I didn't put anything under the 'lifted' edge in this photo, it's not easy to guage the gap caused by the warping, but it's about a half inch or so.

https://ibb.co/6XwpkLG

Looks like I'll be sending it back for a refund, and the search goes on for one that will fit
Old 12th April 2019, 14:37   #25
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

The fascia I linked to is an "MG7 style", it's opening is big enough to fit the largest double dins but has blanking frames to fill in the gaps if you fit a smaller unit.

You can usually tell because the opening is considerably more recessed in these fascias then the one widely available on ebay here.

The main issue is, they are a fair bit more expensive and seem to only come from china.

The one you have from car audio direct looks to be the same as the one widely available from a lot of other places in the UK and has a smaller opening that's too small for a lot of double din stereos out there.

It's odd that double din stereos seem to come in a lot of different sizes, especially when they only seem to differ by a couple of millimeters at most.

It would be helpful if somebody who has experience with double din in these cars could share their knowledge.
This vehicle was the 2,113th ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
Old 12th April 2019, 21:09   #26
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks for the info. New knowledge on this subject would be great! There must be loads of members with experience out there...good and bad!

The cost of these plastic adapters is, frankly, scandalous! £15 - £30 for a piece of plastic. I can buy an all singing and dancing audio/sat.nav etc. unit for less than £60, then it's going to cost half that for a plastic adaptor and probably the same again - or more! - just to get it installed in the car...makes you scratch your head in disbelief. Even though I'm a poor pensioner, I don't mind paying a fair price for everything, I just hate being ripped off. I guess most of us are like that, always searching for best value for money.
Old 17th April 2019, 12:29   #27
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

Have you had any luck with this yet?

I decided to bite the bullet and order myself this one

I didn't pay the full asking price, put in an offer for £90 that was accepted.

It has a smaller face than the one you ordered by about 5mm in both directions and is deep enough that it should sit on the support bracket.

I ordered the same fascia as you, from the same seller too.

Hopefully it's easy to fit.
Old 17th April 2019, 13:04   #28
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Good luck with your new unit! It seems to tick all the main feature boxes, and you got it for £15 less than the asking price

I have a local man fitting my unit shortly, but I have to say I think your unit, being slightly smaller, will fit with no problems. Please let us know if it does!

I see your unit also mentions a sub-woofer connection. I have a sub-woofer in my car, and was wondering how it was connected up in the original HK set-up, and how I can connect it to a new head unit...anyone with a suggestion?
Old 17th April 2019, 13:36   #29
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Here you go fellas, hope this helps.

Try THIS...

or this HERE...

The Rover 75 fascia plate aperture isn't standard double din size, it measures 172x98. If you are fitting a standard 180x100 size double din you will need to shave around the aperture to accommodate the DD, its quite easy using a stanley knife and fishing off with a dremel to get a nice OEM finish, just mind those fingers.

I still don't know why these BMW style fascia aperture's measure 172x98mm, some old Kenwood double din units are this size, but not many now as far as I know.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 14:54   #30
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblo_Boy View Post
Good luck with your new unit! It seems to tick all the main feature boxes, and you got it for £15 less than the asking price

I have a local man fitting my unit shortly, but I have to say I think your unit, being slightly smaller, will fit with no problems. Please let us know if it does!

I see your unit also mentions a sub-woofer connection. I have a sub-woofer in my car, and was wondering how it was connected up in the original HK set-up, and how I can connect it to a new head unit...anyone with a suggestion?
I wasn't too sure about it but took the chance anyway, There is no mention of the android version it runs but it shouldn't cause any problems as long as it's 5.1 or above. I did learn during my research on other units that a lot of the cheap units that claim to have android 8.1 GO are actually just modified android 6. The version of android shouldn't make much difference for the functions we will use in a car anyway so as long as it's not below 5.1 there shouldn't be any issue running most modern apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Here you go fellas, hope this helps.

Try THIS...

or this HERE...

The Rover 75 fascia plate aperture isn't standard double din size, it measures 172x98. If you are fitting a standard 180x100 size double din you will need to shave around the aperture to accommodate the DD, its quite easy using a stanley knife and fishing off with a dremel to get a nice OEM finish, just mind those fingers.

I still don't know why these BMW style fascia aperture's measure 172x98mm, some old Kenwood double din units are this size, but not many now as far as I know.
Thanks for the links, I did read a couple of threads on here but seem to have missed those.

Looks like even though the unit I ordered has a smaller face plate, it may still be a couple of mm too wide, I had expected it to be though and am prepared to file it down a little.

Now I have to figure out the crazy wiring my car has. It's a MK2 with a standard single din head unit but seems to have been butchered a bit. Currently has an old head unit I bought from aldi about 10 years ago that's been though 2 ZSs, 2 MGFs, a peugeot 406 and a Celica. I'll be sad to see it go.

It has a standard iso connector but this was plugged in to what seemed to be another standard iso connector but with a few more wires coming from it.

I may have discovered why this is when I was poking about behind the glove compartment, I found an old Nokia hands free thing and this also explains the odd antenna type thing stuck to the top of the windscreen and the badly fitted microphone sticking out from the light pod.

Hopefully it's not to difficult to figure it all out, at least if the extra iso connector is for this nokia thing, I can use it to make my own harness if I need to but the head unit I have ordered looks to have standard iso connectors on the back.

I can't decide if I hope it's simple plug and play or if I'm looking forward to a challange.

Last edited by EdgarDonaldBalls; 17th April 2019 at 14:58..