Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Overseas Club Members Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th December 2018, 17:01   #1
Roderick
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Connoissuer SE

Default December trip to Italy

It just kept giving …
Having driven many times previously across Europe from various ports (and tunnel) into France and the Netherlands down to central eastern Italy have for the last few times elected to leave from Harwich to Hook of Holland, through Germany, Austria and Italy. It works for us – but have never done the trip in a seventeen year old Rover 75 CDT. Below is an account of the trip all done without satnav starting Friday 30 November which some may find interesting.

Left Hereford early Friday afternoon for drive to Harwich Stenaline ferry terminal, top up with diesel for a full tank at Morrison’s very close by. Embarked ferry about 21.00, tasty dinner then retire to comfy cabin for a good nights sleep. The ferries are huge, very well equipped and staffed.
Disembarked about 8.00, and a relatively quick passport check and drove a short distance to near Rotterdam to have breakfast with some Dutch friends. Back on the road at 10.45 along the Dutch A12 before dropping down on to the A73 seamlessly becoming the German A61. The Rover effortlessly covered the kilometres cruising between 110km to 130km before bearing left onto the A6 toward Nuremburg.

First hold up of the day where traffic was reduced to two lanes due to massive roadworks not helped by a broken down truck. Daylight now starting to fade as we sped on toward Nuremburg 140km distant. Off at exit 57 to Roth which is a short cut and thankful relief from the A6, dark now, another 10km before entering the small town of Allersberg and hotel. Due to breakfast stop, arrived a bit later than usual – around 18.30. Quick brush-up at hotel and a visit to the very traditional Goldener Löwe pub for a hot meal.
Sunday morning and breakfast at 8.00, and back on road after filling with diesel which was only three quarters empty. Impressive. Diesel incidentally was 1.51€. a litre. Quite pricey for non autobahn garage.

From Allersberg it is a very short hop onto the A9 toward Munich. This time heavy rain and lots of spray, which does not deter German drivers belting past at quite ridiculous speeds. Being Sunday, most big trucks are not allowed to travel which is helpful. Around Munich on the A99 before joining the A8 toward Salzburg. Stopped for coffee and purchase of a Austrian Vignette (9€ sticker) which is required to travel on Austrian roads and a small top up for a full tank again. Exit onto the A93 to Innsbruck and the Brenner Pass. Rain stopped and weather improved. Mountain tops had snow but not much. Constant reminders about having winter tyres (fitted) or carry snow chains for November 15 to April 15.

Stopped for a spot of lunch near the Brenner Pass at Nössblach. See photo. Some lying snow, then about 6C. App Altimeter said we were 990m high.
Through Austrian toll booth (9€) to use the A13 Brenner autobahn and finally into Italy which they number the A22. All with no barriers or border controls. Through the Italian toll booths (who do charge tolls on virtually all autoroutes).
Then the long slog down to Modena. From previous experience we know it would not be possible to arrive home before dark during December, so stop at a hotel outside Modena arriving at 17.30. It was disappointing on this occasion to find their restaurant was closed which we were not aware of, but the staff helpfully offered to get a couple of pizzas delivered, which they did, enjoyed with a glass of local wine. So Italian!

Monday 3 December, left at 9.15 not finding the heavy traffic expected and back onto to the A1 to Bologna then the A14 to Ancona passing along the rebuilt road after the fuel tanker/truck collision exploded in August this year.

Zipped down very quiet A14 before exiting at Senigallia and the 35km inland road to home near the village of Poggio San Marcello.
Again the Rover was so comfortable and excelled at the sheer amount of luggage and stuff carried, plus its average fuel consumption was impressive. Cruise control was used a few times. I did not know it, but I found by holding in the IPK display button when viewing consumption it would then reset it and then showed a constantly updating display. On level roads doing about 70mph it was showing 60-63mpg. How accurate that is I don’t know but seems pretty good. An all over average of 53mpg was good.

Christmas coming and then we’ll repeat the journey back before Brexit makes it any more complicated and expensive!

Distances: Hereford to Harwich, 240 miles (384km)
Hoek of Holland to Allersberg, Germany 471 miles (753km)
Allersberg to Formigne/Modena, Italy 416 miles (670km)
Formigne to Poggio San Marcello, Italy 164 miles (263km) 1291 miles total) 2070km

This morning spotted an Arden green 75...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A9 to Munich.jpg (129.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg Near Brenner Pass.jpg (65.2 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg To Modena.jpg (127.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg First day in Arcevia.jpg (69.8 KB, 97 views)
Old 6th December 2018, 19:36   #2
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

Wink

Passing through the Austrian - Italian border, did you remark that absolutely nothing changed, neither building style nor the language written on them or on signs (maybe bilingual signs on the motorway)?
It's the German speaking south Tyrol for the inhabitants, but for the Italian it's the region of Trentino Alto Adige, that large area once Austrian that was annexed by Italy following the WW2 defeat / victory.
I spent a week there last year and walking within those towns & villages was astonishing: never ever would you guess you were in Italy, German only was heard & written everywhere!
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s
Dorchester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2018, 21:07   #3
Roderick
Loves to post

You are quite right about Trentino. In Austria signs are of German language, or Brenner. However, once in Italy it becomes Brennero, but many place names German/Austrian linkage. It is all seamless though thanks to Schengen. It is quite a marvel you can drive on one piece of continuous tarmac all the way from the channel to any where in Europe and elsewhere.
Old 14th December 2018, 19:50   #4
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Enjoyed your tales of your journey. We have been driving through different parts of the continent for over 30 years, and can honestly say we have always really enjoyed it. In fact we are just posting a Christmas card to friends in Italy who we met on our tour which went down through France to Italy in 2006. Great people the Italians.The only problem was the roads other than the m/ways. I wonder what the difference will be when we have left the EU with regards to travel?
Old 14th December 2018, 21:53   #5
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
It just kept giving …
Having driven many times previously across Europe from various ports (and tunnel) into France and the Netherlands down to central eastern Italy have for the last few times elected to leave from Harwich to Hook of Holland, through Germany, Austria and Italy. It works for us – but have never done the trip in a seventeen year old Rover 75 CDT. Below is an account of the trip all done without satnav starting Friday 30 November which some may find interesting.

Left Hereford early Friday afternoon for drive to Harwich Stenaline ferry terminal, top up with diesel for a full tank at Morrison’s very close by. Embarked ferry about 21.00, tasty dinner then retire to comfy cabin for a good nights sleep. The ferries are huge, very well equipped and staffed.
Disembarked about 8.00, and a relatively quick passport check and drove a short distance to near Rotterdam to have breakfast with some Dutch friends. Back on the road at 10.45 along the Dutch A12 before dropping down on to the A73 seamlessly becoming the German A61. The Rover effortlessly covered the kilometres cruising between 110km to 130km before bearing left onto the A6 toward Nuremburg.

First hold up of the day where traffic was reduced to two lanes due to massive roadworks not helped by a broken down truck. Daylight now starting to fade as we sped on toward Nuremburg 140km distant. Off at exit 57 to Roth which is a short cut and thankful relief from the A6, dark now, another 10km before entering the small town of Allersberg and hotel. Due to breakfast stop, arrived a bit later than usual – around 18.30. Quick brush-up at hotel and a visit to the very traditional Goldener Löwe pub for a hot meal.
Sunday morning and breakfast at 8.00, and back on road after filling with diesel which was only three quarters empty. Impressive. Diesel incidentally was 1.51€. a litre. Quite pricey for non autobahn garage.

From Allersberg it is a very short hop onto the A9 toward Munich. This time heavy rain and lots of spray, which does not deter German drivers belting past at quite ridiculous speeds. Being Sunday, most big trucks are not allowed to travel which is helpful. Around Munich on the A99 before joining the A8 toward Salzburg. Stopped for coffee and purchase of a Austrian Vignette (9€ sticker) which is required to travel on Austrian roads and a small top up for a full tank again. Exit onto the A93 to Innsbruck and the Brenner Pass. Rain stopped and weather improved. Mountain tops had snow but not much. Constant reminders about having winter tyres (fitted) or carry snow chains for November 15 to April 15.

Stopped for a spot of lunch near the Brenner Pass at Nössblach. See photo. Some lying snow, then about 6C. App Altimeter said we were 990m high.
Through Austrian toll booth (9€) to use the A13 Brenner autobahn and finally into Italy which they number the A22. All with no barriers or border controls. Through the Italian toll booths (who do charge tolls on virtually all autoroutes).
Then the long slog down to Modena. From previous experience we know it would not be possible to arrive home before dark during December, so stop at a hotel outside Modena arriving at 17.30. It was disappointing on this occasion to find their restaurant was closed which we were not aware of, but the staff helpfully offered to get a couple of pizzas delivered, which they did, enjoyed with a glass of local wine. So Italian!

Monday 3 December, left at 9.15 not finding the heavy traffic expected and back onto to the A1 to Bologna then the A14 to Ancona passing along the rebuilt road after the fuel tanker/truck collision exploded in August this year.

Zipped down very quiet A14 before exiting at Senigallia and the 35km inland road to home near the village of Poggio San Marcello.
Again the Rover was so comfortable and excelled at the sheer amount of luggage and stuff carried, plus its average fuel consumption was impressive. Cruise control was used a few times. I did not know it, but I found by holding in the IPK display button when viewing consumption it would then reset it and then showed a constantly updating display. On level roads doing about 70mph it was showing 60-63mpg. How accurate that is I don’t know but seems pretty good. An all over average of 53mpg was good.

Christmas coming and then we’ll repeat the journey back before Brexit makes it any more complicated and expensive!

Distances: Hereford to Harwich, 240 miles (384km)
Hoek of Holland to Allersberg, Germany 471 miles (753km)
Allersberg to Formigne/Modena, Italy 416 miles (670km)
Formigne to Poggio San Marcello, Italy 164 miles (263km) 1291 miles total) 2070km

This morning spotted an Arden green 75...
My 75 has visited Germany twice going via Stena from Harwich to Hook of Holland and will be 17 on New Years Eve. Can't think of a better car to do such trips in. Yes, they are not young cars, but with the right TLC, they will reward you many times over. I wouldn't hesitate to use my 75 to do that trip again, and I probably will. The fact he is a 1.8 bothers me not.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2018, 12:33   #6
Roderick
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Enjoyed your tales of your journey. We have been driving through different parts of the continent for over 30 years, and can honestly say we have always really enjoyed it. In fact we are just posting a Christmas card to friends in Italy who we met on our tour which went down through France to Italy in 2006. Great people the Italians.The only problem was the roads other than the m/ways. I wonder what the difference will be when we have left the EU with regards to travel?

Thank you, I hoped others would enjoy it. I wrote it because SO many others – English AND foreign all say "how do you drive on the other side of the road!" Well, it really is no problem at all. Perhaps roundabouts are initially perplexing and you have to keep your wits about as Italians especially regard directional inidcators as a manufacturers optional fitment and as for parking … !!
Also the road surface conditions in many smaller roads are terrible, far worse than even UK potholes, so am treating the Rover with greater empathy when driving here.
Leaving the EU will almost certainly bring much more expense, delay and complication. Driving through EU countries without a single border stop is so easy and very envious of EU drivers nipping in and out of each others country. However, I can also see that to be a problem for many in UK, hence, Brexit. It might be even more complicated if we as Brits drive our LHD Fiat to UK??
Old 28th December 2018, 21:34   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
Thank you, I hoped others would enjoy it. I wrote it because SO many others – English AND foreign all say "how do you drive on the other side of the road!" Well, it really is no problem at all. Perhaps roundabouts are initially perplexing and you have to keep your wits about as Italians especially regard directional inidcators as a manufacturers optional fitment and as for parking … !!
Also the road surface conditions in many smaller roads are terrible, far worse than even UK potholes, so am treating the Rover with greater empathy when driving here.
Leaving the EU will almost certainly bring much more expense, delay and complication. Driving through EU countries without a single border stop is so easy and very envious of EU drivers nipping in and out of each others country. However, I can also see that to be a problem for many in UK, hence, Brexit. It might be even more complicated if we as Brits drive our LHD Fiat to UK??
If you are used to driving a RHD car on UK roads, it is probably easier to drive it in Europe then it is to drive a LHD car in Europe, this is what I found recently. The reason being, you are sitting on the right hand side of the car, the kerb side and so it is easy to judge the edge of the road. In a LHD you wont be able to see the kerb when you are close to it and you are not used to it.You are already used to positioning the car to deal with obstacles on the left

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 28th December 2018 at 21:37..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2019, 00:09   #8
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

When we first went to Germany, 30 odd years ago, there were no islands in the roads over there. My son, who lives over there, said they don’t know how to use islands yet. My advice to people who go on the continent is ‘ keep you bottom in the gutter’. If your bottom is not in the gutter, you are on the wrong side of the road. Just a little story about when in Rome do as the Romans do. We were in Florence for a couple of nights and we were told that we would have to move our car, if we found a parking spot near the hotel, because they come round at night to clean the street with a water bowser, in the middle of, so we were told they had a garage we could put the car in for the two nights,10 Euro’s. Accepted. We were then taken by a very beautiful young receptionist to the garage which was down a one way street. We asked how we get to it and the answer was just drive down and put your car in............against the flow of traffic???? When said we could not do that she said, ‘come with me in the car’. She took us against the flow of traffic for about 50 yards walking in front, and they all pulled over for us no trouble. There would be riots ,punch ups and whatever else over here. Love the Italians sense of law abiding. Happy New Year, and many of them.

Last edited by bl52krz; 1st January 2019 at 00:12..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2019, 13:55   #9
Roderick
Loves to post

Hi David, and indeed a very Happy New Year to you and everyone for that matter.
I know what you mean about Italians. When visiting Rome a few years back we had great difficulty (on foot) crossing a wide road junction. They don't stop for zebra crossings but we noticed if a Nun crossed they all stopped. So next time, follow a Nun!
Also try taking a Taxi, how they squeeze at break neck speed through the smallest of spaces and still avoiding the zillions of scooters is amazing. The taxi from Central station to the Vatican was great fun but frightening at the same time.
Ray
Old 3rd January 2019, 20:49   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Very interesting and a good read-----

Adjusting to being on the opposite side of the road soon registers for most folk. The danger time being when you stop for fuel and pull back on to the main road from a garage.---
Myself, having a LHD car, a RHD car and a motorbike all used at different times here in France or back in the UK can take a minute or two to adjust my brain.
Sometimes on the nearside or offside or in the middle of the road makes you think.

Friends pulled out of a Garage in their Ford and had a head on collision with a French car. Just cuts and bruises. No bones broken. The car was a write off though.

Son in law and daughter on a motorbike missed our turn off. Turned around, rode straight into a car coming the other way. Spent all of their holiday in hospital where my son in law had one testicle removed where it had been crushed against the fuel tank.--

Last edited by COLVERT; 17th December 2020 at 11:51..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote