Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > S525 OVP The Club Car
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 20th February 2011, 14:58   #11
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

Default S525 OVP - The Restoration

Just a quick update on progress on this car. I spent some time with Lates today going over what is left to be done.

It appears that most, if not all, the "mechanicals" have been done and it should not take much to get her ready for an MOT. I will be buying a few bits and pieces for her now to hopefully get her to a MOT ready state. And will spend some time there with Lates/Pete to do all the last minute things. After that she will need a lot of care and attention to restore body parts, trim and bodywork to get her back to her former glory.

My thanks go out to Lates and Pete for their help in getting the car this far and for allowing her to be stored over there - I will also be paying him any outstanding payments because he has done this all off his own bat at this stage. Once the next phase is over I will be moving her to see if we can get the trim etc done.

I will update as and when I can.

Best

in banana veritas
Old 25th February 2011, 01:23   #12
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Further to the above, in the next week I aim to:

- buy battery and install
- buy spare lamps and replace as necessary
- buy wiper blades and fit
- buy front and rear number plates and fit

- source number plate bulb circuitry and fit
- install the boot handle and wire up
- try and fix rear door card
- source steering wheel and airbag and fit
- source front indicators and fit
- fit front bumper

If the above is done - and it can be comfortably done in an afternoon (assuming no problems) - the car can go for an MOT ...

Of the above is the bits in red I think I need help sourcing please - any suggestions gratefully received.

Best

in banana veritas
Old 30th June 2011, 07:54   #13
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts
Default S525 OVP - The Restoration

After discussions with the team about my desire to take this project one step further,
we had a meeting with the club's director and several moderators in Warwickshire over the weekend.
After discussing the plans at the meeting, we decided to go over to Lates garage
just outside Rugby to take a look at the car first hand.

Having arrived at the garage the old girl was parked towards the front of the unit,
looking at each other we walked towards the car, opened the bonnet and turned the key..
to our amazement she started first time..

Lates has completed all the mechanical work on the car and says that it is to MOT standard.

All that is required is an outside temperature sensor and loom, as well as a front indicator lamp,
which are very kindly being donated by Corin Messenger.

Looking at the interior of the car, we noticed certain parts
had already been fitted thanks to past donations from members.

We have a smokestone steering wheel, and matching airbag cover to replace the black MG ones.

The old ZT IPK and LSM modules that had been retro fitted and gave out so many
error messages have been replaced by the genuine low line Rover instrument pack.

and now apart from the missing airbag and outside temperature sensor,
it is ready to have its mileage resumed, as soon as it's driven.

The car does have some interesting oddities too, a rare optional extra
fire extinguisher under the passenger front seat

A printed label hidden in the glove box which reads "cauton rear strobes work on reds
only when f strobes are off", obviously harking back to its days as an ambulance.

A good carpet shampoo and some pedal rubbers are required

The high level brake light is adrift

The MG gear knob has now been replaced with an original Rover one,
but curiously there isn't a driver’s side cup holder.

We also noticed that the driver’s door stay isn't working,
so the door just keeps swinging shut.

On a positive note, although the car is a Classic trim specification,
it actually has Club seats fitted with speckled velour,
fold-down action and rear cup holders.

and the upholstery and roof lining are all in very good condition.

Sadly, the car's exterior is where much TLC needs to be given,
with scratches, rust and lacquer missing in several places.

The roof rails have some additional holes drilled in them

and the d post rover badge trim has been MG'd up, but that's an easy fix.

There are boxes of spares kindly donated to replace things with,
including a set of bullet wing mirrors to replace the skull caps -
although we'll need to acquire / paint some Arran White covers

But the car still has its MG Rover group number plates

Now to the future...onwards and upwards as it nudges ever closer
to its much needed restoration.

Old 4th September 2011, 15:13   #14
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Default OVP MOT preparation.

After Lates had enjoyed long summer holiday to Egypt, we have been back in touch about the project. For the MOT test a number of items were required so I had them sent down to his premises.

Lates gave the car a pre MOT and advised me that the rear brake pipes were badly corroded and needed replacing, for this job the fuel tank had to be removed..

Which reveals the full extent of the job.

The lower rear wish bone bushes were replaced, to keep the costs down non OE components were used.

With the front bumper loom and indicators fitted, the car was loaded, unconventionally, onto a trailer

Ready to be taken for the test in the week.

Old 14th November 2011, 21:22   #15
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

On Sunday morning having taken a few hours off from the club stand at the NEC, I made my way over to Dunchurch to meet up with Christopher.After a discussion the previous afternoon we decided to move the car to his house.

As previously stated the car now has a current MOT and the rest of the documentation is in order.

The car was ready and waiting for our arrival having had a telephone conversation with Lates on Saturday evening..

With Christopher behind the wheel I followed behind to make sure that everything went well,this is the first time the car has been on the open road under it's own steam in such a long time..and she looked quite at home on the open road.

The next stop is the body shop..
Old 16th April 2012, 20:14   #16
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Well she made her way to the National, albeit on a low loader. Many thanks to CDTi for the wheel trims and to Mofo for the fog light blanking covers.

Old 16th April 2012, 20:37   #17
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

The car is suffering from fuel starvation, she will start and can be driven gently, but under acceleration she will cut, and become very difficult to start.

Andi Willi managed to get into the car with his Delphi Diagnostic equipment and discovered a few old fault codes which he printed off. Interrogating the car again nothing out of the ordinary showed up to concern us with the problem.

The previous evening Sworks and myself discussed the issue and agreed that the fuel pump and possibly the filter could be the issue. The car had been stood for a great length of time with water in the fuel tank, which has probably damaged the pump.

Also during the course of the cars life it will have been topped up with gerry cans containing contaminated fuel, so the filter could be clogged.

The plan is to source a good second hand tank containing the pump and filter, which will be the easiest and cheapest option.
Old 20th May 2012, 17:21   #18
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

The poor running issue (which caused it to arrive on a trailer for the National) has been fixed as of last Tuesday.

The fuel tank had a gallon of mud and rubbish in there so Christopher tells us, the fuel filter was on the verge of collapse so a replacement tank/pump/filter combo has been put in and the old fuel for the most part discarded as it was so contaminated. It ticks over and pulls fine now and Christopher has taken it for a good run to road test it.

The car is taxed and insured so not on retention as such. What it needs now is a bodyshop quote or two. Cleaning and cosmetic refurb now required as I understand it.

Old 20th June 2012, 22:03   #19
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Christopher sent through some pictures of the work he has been doing in cleaning the interior up by the way.

The inside was filthy to use his words, so required a strip down of the centre console area and removal of the door cards.

Before:

During:

The black MG steering wheel has now been replaced with a light smokestone Rover one and a smokestone airbag is on its way up from Bexhill On Sea courtesy of Seancar

After:

There are new carpets on the way too, as the ones in the car are beyond repair. The seats will be removed when the carpets go in and they too will get a thorough clean.
Old 20th June 2012, 22:20   #20
Christopher
Owners Club Director

To add to Paul's update I have also repaired the following:

- Fitted the door cards properly
- properly wired in the mirrors as they we non adjusting and unheated (bullets to be fitted when backs are sourced)
- fitted driver door stay
- tightened loose bits on the inside everywhere
- removed dangling 3rd brake light, cleaned up and now need sticky taope to affix to rear window

Faults that need to be looked at:
- SRS warning is on (could be seats will check when they come out when new carpet arrives)
- fuel gauge is reading EMPTY all the time and temp is -30deg out side! These two were a recent fault and happened together - last week in fact so had no time to diagnose (Was in New York until yesterday!)
- knocking at engine firewall at low revs (goes away at higher revs)
- click-clicking when steering at full steering lock

Cleaning yet to do:
- complete engine bay clean
- refit carpets
remove and clean all seats and refit
- remove rear doorcards, clean and refit

Apart from that she drives quite well - however the carpets have NEVER been cleaned and they stink to high heaven, I did a bit to make it drive-able but the sooner they are changed the better!

Cheers

- boot area - entire remove, clean and refit

in banana veritas
Closed Thread