Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th April 2019, 20:15   #1
madsega

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Antifreeze option

Hey guys,

I just made a purchase of antifreeze TOTAL Glacelf Supra, red, G12 with OAT and 2 fellow Rover owners said I should have bought HEPU red G12.

For the HEPU I can't see anything regarding OAT.

1) I want to mention that I'm planning on doing a full fluid swap. What do you guys think, have I stick with what I already bought (TOTAL Glacelf Supra, red, G12) or should I scrap that and go for HEPU G12?

2) On a second note, they said not to dillute the antifreeze, that it should go concentrated into the system

3) What do you guys think about HEPU Timing Belts and Waterpumps? Anyone had any experiences with them? Should I go for a different brand?
The 3 brands available are SKF, HEPU and GK.

Cheers
madsega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2019, 20:22   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I prefer the blue antifreeze, I know a lot of folk like using OAT, so expect a lot of opinions.
Old 18th April 2019, 20:23   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Antifreeze concentrate must be diluted, premixed not so.

If using OAT antifreeze, the dilution rate should be no greater than 33% antifreeze to water.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2019, 21:24   #4
Billyuk1
Avid contributor

zt saloon 1800cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I prefer the blue antifreeze, I know a lot of folk like using OAT, so expect a lot of opinions.
same for me blue.. dont mind changing it every 2 years. well i do it every year..
Billyuk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2019, 22:08   #5
madsega

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks a lot for your opinions. I know it's a much debated topic

So basically the color is a reference on how often the antifreeze must be changed?

I've also read on the forum some use pink, some use green?

@Brian: so you're saying it should be 1/3 antifreeze and 2/3 water or the other way around?

- Sergiu
Old 19th April 2019, 07:18   #6
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Pink is the OAT antifreeze which usually has a 5-year lifespan.

1/3 antifreeze, 2/3 water. I prefer to use distilled water.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2019, 08:56   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsega View Post
I just made a purchase of antifreeze TOTAL Glacelf Supra, red, G12 with OAT and 2 fellow Rover owners said I should have bought HEPU red G12.
They're technically equivalent. Whether it's specifically mentiond or not, they're both OAT (organic acid technology) type. These days, the vast proportion of new cars around the world come with OAT types as standard. It's specifically designed for aluminium engines and has evolved considerably since first introduced. However, issues with the early type, which concerned the deterioration of synthetic rubber components, tend to divide opinions about it's use. These concerns persist, even though the OAT formulations have changed and old problems eliminated. With no leaks, OAT coolant has a service life of 4-5 years

Antifreeze colour is used to indicate the chemical type (more or less). So, OATs are typically red/orange/pink. The older inorganic type may be blue, green or various other colours depending on the sort of ingredients used. These are classed as IAT (inorganic acid technology) and primarily designed for cast iron engines, so less effective at protecting aluminium alloys. They have shorter service life of about 2 years. In broad terms they'll all work as an antifreeze.

For yours, buy a similar amount of deionised water and pre-mix them in equal volume for maximum frost protection. Use a lower concentration if you want, but remember frost protection is only part of the function of an antifreeze. Anywhere between 2:1 and 1:1 (water to antifreeze by volume) is fine. The easiest way to do this is to use a clean 5 litre plastic bottle marked at 1/3 or 1/2 full according to your choice of concentration. Fill to the mark with antifreeze concentrate, then top up with DI water in portions. Give each portion a good shake until properly mixed and continue like this until the bottle is full. You don't need to measure or weigh anything, it's not necessary.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2019, 23:00   #8
madsega

Rover 75 Saloon

I understand now, thanks a bunch

Any opinions on the timing belt brand SKF, HEPU or GK? Any recommendations or bad experience if you had with a particular brand?

- Sergiu