Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th September 2020, 23:46   #41
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
You could either:

a) Take the CD drive out of the Windows 98 machine and install it in the Windows 7 machine.

b) Put the CD into the Windows 98 machine and copy the entire contents of the CD to the PC's hard drive. Then, copy them to a USB stick as well. Put the USB stick into the Windows 7 machine and copy the entire contents of Rave to the Win7 machine's hard drive. Now you can run Rave on both machines and you don't need to use the CD at all. The TData.exe file is the one that launches Rave.

But has the laptop had the offending Win10 update yet?

Quote:
I think it's only the Acrobat 4.0 element of Rave that's incompatible with one offending update to Win10. The obvious solution seems to be find the offending update (whichever KBxxxxxxx number it was) and uninstall it from the Win10 machine.
Control Panel>Windows Update>View update history should give you a list of all the Win10 updates installed. Double-click on one to find more info on it. Once you've found the offender, uninstall it via Control Panel>Programs & Features>Installed Updates>(right click on offending update & uninstall).

The full Windows catalogue should be here - https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx.
HI Simon.
Doing the above would then mean your lap top or PC is not up to date, which in turn could mean trouble later on down the road, windows 10 2004 update also stopped some printers from working until Microsoft sorted it out with some patch i think.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2020, 10:23   #42
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
HI Simon.
Doing the above would then mean your lap top or PC is not up to date, which in turn could mean trouble later on down the road,

windows 10 2004 update also stopped some printers from working until Microsoft sorted it out with some patch i think.
It depends on what the Windows 10 2004 update actually does (i.e. what's inside it). I can't find any specific info because I don't know the KB number for the download that first installed it.

I would still uninstall it and see what happens - it can always be re-installed. Btw, it's also called the Windows 10 May 2020 Update.

Have a look at this chap's thread. The Windows 10 2004 update messed up all his pdf stuff - it prevented him from opening any pdf file in any viewer! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-3bbfe86597f7. From what he says it was a problem initiating from Edge. A quick test for that would be to either uninstall Edge completely, or stop it in Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del>Task Manager>Processes tab>find Edge in the list and stop it using End Process).
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2020, 10:47   #43
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
I would still uninstall it and see what happens - it can always be re-installed.
Alternatively, just do a quick test on Microsoft Edge first and find out if it's capable of opening an Acrobat 4.0 pdf - an independent one, not Rave.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2020, 11:14   #44
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

I'll say it again. A Win10 update made Acrobat 4 (as used by Rave) incompatible. 100%
The workaround by Phil-T4 is the cure.

(Typed in invisible ink for future reference to those that don't read).
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2020, 19:18   #45
Uncle Dean
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
Run Xp on the Win 10 as a Virtual Machine?
Yes just installed Virtual Box ono my win 10 laptop and ran XP inside the virtual machine, the rave disc starts lovely and all works ok.

there are several tutorials on youtube showing how to run XP inside virtual box.
Very easy to do and start to finish about 30 mins.

dean
Uncle Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2020, 13:08   #46
Formalhaut

Rover 75 saloon

Good afternoon to all.
I'm newby on this forum. I'm quite active on the french MG-Rover forum and I mainly register on this one to be able to thank Phil-T4 for his procedure to get the rave CD back to work, ie, deleting Cmap and Font from the resources folder of acrobat4.

Since I changed my PC for a new one running with Win10, there was no way for me to access my Rave manual. I tried many things, including Win7 and XP compatibility with no success.

I applied his procedure and it's now operating as well as before.
Thanks again.

Formalhaut

Last edited by Formalhaut; 18th November 2020 at 13:11..
Formalhaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2020, 10:53   #47
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Had the same problem. Sorted it by using a new Virtual Machine running XP. Got mine from here for free. http://downloadworkshopmanuals.com/d....7-5813279.exe
No need to turn the system clock back. Only disadvantage is you can't print from it
Old 17th January 2021, 18:42   #48
Dolomite
Regular poster

MG ZT-T MG ZS-TD

Smile Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
Until X-Part come up with a solution, you can still make it run under Windows 10 build 2004 with a bit of fiddling around.

Copy the CD contents into a folder on your harddrive or USB stick.

Locate and open the 'Acrobat4' folder.

Open the 'Resource' folder.

Delete the folders 'CMap' and 'Font' or rename them

Rave will now open and run, you may get a warning of missing fonts but it doesn't seem to cause any issues on my tests.

Thank you so much for posting this, i was thinking it was never going to work again,
the solution worked great.
Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2021, 10:41   #49
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Surely these CD discs should not be sold until they work as they should, it should not be left down to the purchaser to sort out the problem?

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 09:35   #50
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

I contacted Rimmers about the discs when I first had the problem, and they withdrew them from sale. They contacted X-part who stated they were not going to update them. I then asked if, as they had been withdrawn, I could purchase a Rave disc that covered the Metro. I did inform them that I could make it work for me, as one of our club members had given a work around. (And it was also possibly to use older versions of Windows or a Virtual Machine). I had no reply about the Metro disc, but some time later I noticed they were back on sale and bought one.
TBH, I feel it is still right to sell them, with a warning that Win10 doesn't work. Maybe they do this, I don't know.
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote