Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th May 2008, 23:14   #1
Simon W
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.0 Litre Club Saloon

Default Burma - so called 'government'

Where do these morons come from?

Somebody should get in there and blow the lunatics off the planet before it gets any worse.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7393270.stm
Simon W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 00:17   #2
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Unfortuately, we (Britain) are more than a little to blame for the way things are in Burma, along with many other countries that have imposed or attempted to impose their infuence on the internal affairs of this country over the last 200 years. That along with sanctions that have been in force since 1997 by the U.S. and 2000 by the European union certainly won't have helped.
Reading through the history of the country and looking at the political situation and how it came about, gives perhaps some insight as to why they are so dis-trustful of any outside assistance.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree that they should let us assist them in any way we can, I can see why they are reluctant to do so.

Let's hope they allow as much help and aid as they can get for the sake of the victims of this terrible tragedy before it's too late.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 09:39   #3
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

It is simply not good enough to blame it on history and a distrustful Govt. These guys are quite clearly burying their heads in the sand and pretty much ignoring what is happening to their own people; hidden away in their little jungle Empire they have created they can pretend that this is just a slight hiccup and show news images of some General giving a box of food to a grateful, well dressed civilian who, it would appear, actually hasn't come from the cyclone zone anyway.

So what ARE they doing? Oh yes, holding an 'election'...which is clearly much more important as it increases their grip on power in Burma.....one hopes that the Burmese people show their dissatisfaction at the inept and incompetent response of their Govt....I sincerely doubt it will be in this election and it may well be far more messy...
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 11:10   #4
Simon W
This is my second home

Anything can be blamed on history. These guys are maniacs and the only way to stop them is to get rid of them. Deliberately holding back relief supplies and rescue teams ranks as genocide. It's simple as that.
Old 10th May 2008, 13:27   #5
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

In no way am I defending what the goverment in Burma is doing, far from it, I was trying to clarify why they are reluctant to accept help from outside. Our history defines us, our opinions and values just as much as their history defines theirs.

If they accept help it would been seen as weakness in their eyes but on the other hand risk comdemnation from their people for not accepting assistance. Either choice is bad in their opinion, but have taken what they consider to be the lesser of the two evils, however flawed their thinking.
What the rest of the world thinks of them probably has little influence on their decisions.

As Zeb states it will probably end up being very messy in the end with possibly a civil war sometime in the future. Although I agree the it would be great to get rid of governments such as this for purely humanitarian reasons, the reality of doing so usually causes as many problems as it solves.

I hope that the people of Burma over-throw this rediculous regime quickly and with as little bloodshed as possible.

In the short term I hope that common sense prevails, and they welcome as much aid and assistance as possible, but I wouldn't be suprised if that didn't happen.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2008, 23:11   #6
Simon W
This is my second home

Well they let 3 planes in today - how kind. They need 3,000 to make a dent in it.

Shoot the maniacs.