Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th June 2007, 21:27   #1
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

Default running a V8, LPG, or second car ?

Whilst I like the diesel ZT, I am still hankering after a V8.

Realistically I cannot afford to run one day to day, and would prefer it as a second car anyway, in order to keep mileage, and tyre wear down, I could then use it just on the odd day to go to work in, if I need cheering up , and also for towing the caravan ( which we havent got yet).

Purchasing a runabout would mean I have the luxury of selling moodyblue privately, and then having time to find the right V8.

however the other train of thought is that the money spent purchasing, taxing, and insuring another car could be better spend either pouring down the black hole behind the filler flap, or going for an LPG conversion.

Of course this is all hypothetical at the moment, as we have the extension to finish off, and a caravan to buy, so the pot may be empty at the end of it all anyway , but was wondering what you guys thought ??
black olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 22:38   #2
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodybluezt View Post

Realistically I cannot afford to run one day to day, and would prefer it as a second car anyway, in order to keep mileage, and tyre wear down, I could then use it just on the odd day to go to work in, if I need cheering up , and also for towing the caravan ( which we havent got yet).

Purchasing a runabout would mean I have the luxury of selling moodyblue privately, and then having time to find the right V8.

however the other train of thought is that the money spent purchasing, taxing, and insuring another car could be better spend either pouring down the black hole behind the filler flap, or going for an LPG conversion.

Of course this is all hypothetical at the moment, as we have the extension to finish off, and a caravan to buy, so the pot may be empty at the end of it all anyway , but was wondering what you guys thought ??
I had a similiar problem, a friend of mine was retiring and told me he had a R reg Corsa Diesel van for sale, all new tyres,new battery,12 months MOT, 2 months tax, 51 mpg, 72k miles, in good cond, was I interested? Yes!!
The ZT 190 now go's out twice a week. I use the van to park at airports while working abroad, park in public/Tesco car parks without a care in the world. I have spent £200 on Chips away this year for repair of dents/scratches to the ZT and the van cost me £500 and £129 to insure TPFT.
I actually enjoy driving more now. When working park the van anywhere, I dare you to dent it!! and at weekends enjoy the feeling of power from the ZT.
Being used to flooring the throttle in the diesel van, getting in the ZT is great!
If anything major go's wrong I'll throw it away. the saving on fuel means getting my money back in 6-7 months. Do you remember your early days driving when you had an old car [all you could afford] its like that again. Park it anywhere, on narrow lanes let the other cars move out of the way, they see a van and think " Oh Christ he wont give a damn] My ZT which always seemed noisy and bumpy now seems like a limo. Drive a shed during the week and enjoy the weekend Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 08:26   #3
black olive

Sounds good Dave,
I was a bit slow a few years back, my parents were getting rid of an M reg 218 diesel, and for some reason didnt think to have it off them

we have an X reg clio that the missus uses, and thats the same as yours, take it anywhere and let that soak up the abuse

The missus has said that thats it for me with new cars, the next new one is hers, so of course I could let her get a new one, and keep the clio, We've had it a few years now, and its still going strong, and wouldnt be worth part exing for what we would get. Ill have to see what she thinks when we are over the extension upheaval, and settled again .
Old 13th June 2007, 10:54   #4
reverie158

MG ZT260

Agree with the above!

I've got an old Maestro that I use as a runabout. Cheap as chips, completely reliable and it does 45mpg! It's a bit rusty though :lol:

I don't think I've saved any money, probably just about broken even. However I've done 18,000 miles in the Maestro that haven't gone on the 260, which is worth it imho.

Cheers

Justin
reverie158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2007, 21:48   #5
Roger1
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Conn SE 2.5 Tourer; 2022 MG HS; 2021 MG ZST

Smile LPG Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodybluezt View Post

How much is LPG selling for in the UK at present? I'm in the business in NZ so could do some sums for you if you like, based on the basic running costs vs petrol. You'd need to tell me the retail prices of petrol and LPG, plus the litres per 100kms (sorry for being so metric) that the desired petrol model would normally achieve. Is there still a conversion subsidy available? When I was last in the UK I did some work with Autogas Limited and at that time the conversion options were very good, although I hear there have been a few sharks in the business. If you do go ahead make sure you stick to a high quality injection system - forget about saving a few pounds on the conversion cost - always go for a company selling and servicing the best quality, e.g. Prins (www.prins.eu). A Rover V8 deserves no less! Incidentally, I don't sell kits, so I'm not biased.
Roger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 17:59   #6
rossy

Zt 260 SE

My ZT 260 goes in to F1 (Factor 1) Bolton on Monday for LPG conversion!

I'll let you know how I get on if you like...

The way I'm looking at it is that I got the car quite cheap...so adding the cost of the LPG conversion on to the car makes it about right...
Will loose boot space obviously as no room in the tyre well...but 32p sounds better than a quid + !!

Its the fully sequencial injection, and they rec they can take out the old injectors...fit an adaptor that both the petty and LPG one then fit in to. It means they have to raise the rail but say it actualy looks like an easy job.

Will post/e-mail pics to those that want them and are interested.

Factor 1 where not chosen for their location (just down the road) but they are on the LPG register and come reccommended) not cheep either...

PLus I get to drive around in a free Toyota Corrolla for a week..ummm hope its LPG!!
rossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 18:12   #7
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossy View Post

The way I'm looking at it is that I got the car quite cheap...so adding the cost of the LPG conversion on to the car makes it about right...
Will loose boot space obviously as no room in the tyre well...but 32p sounds better than a quid + !!

Its the fully sequencial injection, and they rec they can take out the old injectors...fit an adaptor that both the petty and LPG one then fit in to. It means they have to raise the rail but say it actualy looks like an easy job.

Factor 1 where not chosen for their location (just down the road) but they are on the LPG register and come reccommended) not cheep either...

PLus I get to drive around in a free Toyota Corrolla for a week..ummm hope its LPG!!
I'm interested Dave, can keep me informed including costs etc if thats okay.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 20:49   #8
black olive

Rossy, sounds good, Id be interested in a peek at that when its done if its no problem, Im only in Chorley.

the local bottle gas place does autogas at 39p a litre.
Old 21st June 2007, 05:30   #9
Roger1
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Conn SE 2.5 Tourer; 2022 MG HS; 2021 MG ZST

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossy View Post

Good on you. Good luck. I look forward to hearing more.
Roger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 10:04   #10
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Rossy I would have talked to Bernard here first he is a mine of info and offers good competitive prices for his installations and is obviously an enthusiastic fellow 75 owner

Rumour has it from Philby that post LPG the car actually develops a bit more power as well although he has not dyno tested it yet to verify.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote