Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd December 2015, 02:38   #1
deltic08
Avid contributor

52 ZT 190 Solar Red. 54 ZT 190 SE Ignition Blue. 54 ZT 190 SE Rio Red. 05 ZT 1.8T Aurora

Default Can a rattling maniflod be refurbished?

At a recent meet, I had a T4 done and this picked up that both VIS motors were not working. Also I was told the top inlet manifold was a bit rattley. A VIS replacement workshop near to me was recommended but nothing mentioned about sorting rattle in manifold.

Can manifolds be reconditioned? If so can someone please recommend somewhere or should I go for a new manifold with VIS motors already fitted as advertised on this forum by a member for £700?

Many thanks as always.
deltic08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 04:07   #2
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

You can fix the motors, but the manifold itself is not fixable,or worth it.
I have had a rattle which eventually sounded as a Diesel engine, and I ripped out the butterflies inside the unit.
I have later done this to a car belonging to a friend of mine, and taken a video of the performance after the operation. In both of these the VIS motor for the "power valve" was left in and operational. In both cases there was a noticeable power gain.
Recently another friend brought his car around because the power valve VIS motor was continually cycling back and forth. Turned out the shaft for the power valve itself was broken, so we disconnected the motor and removed the broken flap. He phoned back and said "It's faster!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPyT...ature=youtu.be