Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th November 2009, 09:47   #1
gwp
Regular poster

MGF 1.8VVC

Default Service in the South East

I live near Gatwick and need to get a basic service done on my ZT, I don't want to use Crawley Down. Does anyone know of any good independant places that can work on the ZT in the area?

Due to work commitments etc I cannot travel very far so need somewhere local to home or work (Epsom area)
gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 16:26   #2
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

I live in Crawley. I'd use Corin (Messenger) or EXMS-Ralph if you can travel to them.

However if it's a basic oil and filters change you can bring it over on a weekend and I'll do it for you for nothing (You suppy the parts)

Crawley Down are very expensive.. They quoted me £1400 for a Cambelt change and they neded the car fro 2 days. Lates did it for less in half a day

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 15:56   #3
gwp
Regular poster

MGF 1.8VVC

Well thanks for the offer Steven, but I summoned up the courage and armed with a Haynes Manual braved the weather and did a basic service on the car.

The oil change and air filter were quite simple, and even managed to get the oil filter off without covering myself and the drive with oil - amazing what you can do with a marigold!

The spark plugs were less simple, it seems MG Rover made a small modification on the facelifted model over the original with only 1 bolt to remove to release the coil on each spark, this was discovered mainly by feel as you can't see a bl*&dy thing down the back of the rear bank! Also the sound deadening material at the rear of the engine was missing - don't know it this was a former owner but the bolts don't look like they've ever had a nut on them.

Apart from the fact the guys that did my LPG conversion mounted some of the cubbins on the engine cover, meaning I had to remove them before the cover would come free, the front ones were much simpler.

All in all though quite an easy day's work - although my back won't thank me tommorow!

Even managed to escape without a cut or scratch which is quite unusual, until I dropped a bolt in the depths of the engine and had to go in and fish it out.

The result is amazing, even just with the oil change the car was running much better, but with the new sparks as well it now goes like it's meant to.

I am quite pleased with myself since the last car I serviced myself was a 1.0L Fiesta mark 2 with had a lot more space in the engine compartment! Also that was a good 15 years ago!

Would definitely encourage anyone to try the basic servicing themselves.
gwp is offline   Reply With Quote