Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th June 2011, 13:19   #1
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

Talking Thermostat / Inlet Manifold fun

Started stripping the Manifolds and Thermostat today, been taking my time so as not to break anything

Very disappointed to find that it was my Inlet Manifold Gasket leaking, on teh side next to the Belts at the front. There was a whole mess of Pink dried goo there.

The Thermostat came out easily, so not too happy about that as I thought these things break when you take them out, but mine literally pulled out.

So, new O - Rings needed for Stat and bits, I need a new Thermostat to Metal pipe hose (The one with the bleed screw in) as teh Bleed screw is broke and leaking coolant out

Oh and also drained oil and will be renewing Filter and refilling at the end of teh Job.

Will update more as I only came in to make a coffee - Will also pop a couple of piccies on to show the mess the Inlet Manifold Gasket and mating surfaces where .

At this point though, a Big Thanks to Phil for his "How to" in teh relevant section, much more easier to follow than Haynes.

One question though, whats best to use to clean the surfaces off before replacing Gasket?
Old 27th June 2011, 13:27   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlpenn View Post
whats best to use to clean the surfaces off before replacing Gasket?
I think I'd use medium grade wire wool. Keep the bits out of the system.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 14:53   #3
carlpenn
This is my second home

Here is a shot of teh Failed Gasket:

Old 27th June 2011, 15:54   #4
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Thanks Carl. I really appreciate that. I can't remember what I used. I think I used ultra fine wet and dry and maybe a very sharp stanley knife blade. Make sure you don't graze the alloy though. I would think tcuts way of wire wool would be better/safer.
Old 27th June 2011, 15:59   #5
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlpenn View Post
One question though, whats best to use to clean the surfaces off before replacing Gasket?
I use a wooden wedge as a scraper to get off the rough stuff . Had the same piece of wood for years now !
Also,when making coffee , don't forget a biccie helps to keep up the strength ....
Old 27th June 2011, 16:50   #6
carlpenn
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Thanks Carl. I really appreciate that. I can't remember what I used. I think I used ultra fine wet and dry and maybe a very sharp stanley knife blade. Make sure you don't graze the alloy though. I would think tcuts way of wire wool would be better/safer.
You are more than welcome, Credit given where Credit due as they say

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
I use a wooden wedge as a scraper to get off the rough stuff . Had the same piece of wood for years now !
Also,when making coffee , don't forget a biccie helps to keep up the strength ....
I had Pork Scratchings, If I have one Biccie, I have to have another and then another and eventually I feel sick

Packed in for the day as there wasn't much more I could do until the O - Rings arrive tomorrow.

Cleaned some of the Gunk off the engine from under the throttle body, the Rubber hose hadn't been fitted just quite right and leaked goo out. Looks quite tidy now, also cleaned some of the water residue off the parts around there from where the Header Tank had overflowed etc. Looks a little tidier now.

Gotta pop to Breakers tomorrow to get a replacement Hose (with the Bleed Screw in) and then slap it all back together, looking forward to it, I have thoroughly enjoyed it today