Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th November 2017, 14:01   #7411
Guardian50
Avid contributor

2004 Facelift MKII MG ZT+ 2.0 CDTI Auto 160 bhp in Aquamarine-Goodwood Green (HQM)

Today I delved further into my boot leak. Its most definitely the black plastic clips that secure the rear window glass. The clips that can be seen when you open the boot and lift the black rubber weather strip at bottom of window. Every clip was wet! All along the bottom edge of rear window is wet!
How do I dry under the weather strip? I want to silicon seal underneath the rubber strip but its really soaking under there. Maybe have to just keep an eye on things and wait for summer to dry things out before I can seal it.
I suppose I could use a hair dryer but my neighbours would think I had lost it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Owner of a 2004 model Aquamarine Goodwood Green (HQM) MG ZT+ CDTI 160bhp Auto MKII Facelift
It is the 11th of a total of 88 Goodwood Green diesel facelift ZT saloons to be built (there were 65 facelift diesel Goodwood Green ZT Tourers built too)The car was the 55th of 73 MG ZTs to come off the line that day.5 saloons were fitted with Green Alcantara, this was the first of those 5, only two were automatics, this being one.
Guardian50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 14:56   #7412
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian50 View Post
Today I delved further into my boot leak. Its most definitely the black plastic clips that secure the rear window glass. The clips that can be seen when you open the boot and lift the black rubber weather strip at bottom of window. Every clip was wet! All along the bottom edge of rear window is wet!
How do I dry under the weather strip? I want to silicon seal underneath the rubber strip but its really soaking under there. Maybe have to just keep an eye on things and wait for summer to dry things out before I can seal it.
I suppose I could use a hair dryer but my neighbours would think I had lost it.
How I tackled this job was a permanent fix, first carefully remove the window trim, then very carefully drill out the centres of the lower screen clips, then push through the expander pegs.

The clips themselves look like this, and you can see in the picture the "gasket" on the underside, the only thing making the difference between a dry and wet boot

You then need to cut through the four tangs securing the clip to the body, it should be noted that these clips are mounted underneath the bottom of the screen so exercise caution.

I then cleaned out the accumulated sludge from the channel, and dried the surrounding paintwork and applied THIS over the square holes in the body, linishing with a plastic spudger to ensure good adhesion, then painted to protect from corrosion.

Before you start however, you will need six new clips DCJ100190 which the square section on the bottom needs to be cut off, then the bottom abraded with coarse sandpaper to provide a key.

Once this is done, mix some Araldite rapid, then glue the new clips into position over the site of the original holes, and after this has completely cured, refit the finisher trims to the car.

It is simply not possible to effect a satisfactory fix using silicone sealants, Captain Tolley's creeping crack cure etc, to what amounts to one of the worst design ideas possible....you'll see what I mean when you compare the side and top clip retaining system to that of the bottom

Best of luck

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 17:16   #7413
Supervinnie40
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Thanks for the tip Marinabrian. I have been having a similar problem. Fixed it with sealant for now but it needs a proper fix.
Old 5th November 2017, 17:41   #7414
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

Default What I did with my Rover 75/MG ZT today?

Fitted new upper and lower rear suspension arms, yes the bolts came out okay. New Delphi drop links all round as well as a full set of TRW brakes, tomorrow is likely to be a rest day 🙂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 18:11   #7415
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Fitted xenons to the saloon.
Raised slam panel to narrow the canyon between front grille & bonnet.
Greased bonnet latches, & checked tyre pressures.
Checked FBH operation on both saloon & tourer.
Saloon is fine but tourer only works on manual operation via pin 3.
That's next week job, to check connection of the temp sensor.😪
Another bumper off jobby...🙄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 22:01   #7416
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazcaz View Post
Already for the winter and MOT next week wish me luck
Hi Gary. Like your underside? I notice that the casing that covers the wires under your wheelarch is short, like mine. When I installed a new in tank pump , I noticed that the pipe type conduit that is under the off- side rear seat was rusty....very. On investigation I found that it was containing water from the hole where the plastic conduit comes through into this 'pipe. Although not a stressed area, it supports the rear seat. I would check this if I were you. Squirted expanding foam through from the inside of the car to seal, then painted it with underseal.
Old 6th November 2017, 15:54   #7417
CimmaronG
Gets stuck in

Roverless at present :-(

Replaced starter motor contacts & plunger, thank you to Artic for his 'how to,' oh and put winter wheels on.
Left the production line 08:07:14hrs on 01/07/2004

'Best to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it'
CimmaronG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 16:37   #7418
gazcaz

MG ZT

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Hi Gary. Like your underside? I notice that the casing that covers the wires under your wheelarch is short, like mine. When I installed a new in tank pump , I noticed that the pipe type conduit that is under the off- side rear seat was rusty....very. On investigation I found that it was containing water from the hole where the plastic conduit comes through into this 'pipe. Although not a stressed area, it supports the rear seat. I would check this if I were you. Squirted expanding foam through from the inside of the car to seal, then painted it with underseal.
Hi there very good point not quite clear in picture, but where they disappear into the (under rear seat area) is sealed with black sealent so i hope its helping....

234th of 2,834 Trophy Blue ZT 190 + Saloons Produced
14th of 27 MG ZTs Produced on 27-09-2001
gazcaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 20:26   #7419
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Oil and filter change along with ATF..............test drive and..........

....... it would appear the ZT has been talking to the 75 about all of the great ideas he's had last week.........oh and the Klarzy IPK has lasted a whole thirty six miles

Box of ten Lucas H7 bulbs on order, I might refit the lowline IPk until I source a new screen, or a different message centre

These things are sent to try us I suppose

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg idea.jpg (138.4 KB, 306 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 20:32   #7420
Bogbrush82

BMW X3 2.0D

I've had the blown bulb symbol in my car ever since I fitted CANBUS leds at the rear.

It's only the one bulb in particular though.