Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th August 2012, 10:54   #1
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Default Tablet in car

I am thinking of getting a nexus 7 tablet to put in my highline tourer and to use outside the car.

My sat nav has packed up so I will use the tablet instead.

The tv has not been upgraded to digital and I could use the tablet to watch a film.

I don't use the cd player and would not mind losing it if I could use the tablet as a mp3 player.

I will use the torque app for in car data moitoring.

I will use internet hot spots for web browsing.

What's the best way of getting the headphone output from the tablet into the car audio system? I have got a FM transmitter for the cigarette lighter but sound quality is poor.(hissy) Can I get something to plug into the CD player loom and loose the CD player?

http://www.paulstickley.com/
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 11:35   #2
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

Connects2 provide an interface to replace the CD changer

http://www.connects2.co.uk/c2search....=226&modID=547

Simon
sikelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 13:40   #3
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikelsh View Post
Connects2 provide an interface to replace the CD changer

http://www.connects2.co.uk/c2search....=226&modID=547

Simon

Excellent, that would seem to fit the bill. I could mount this in the glove box and maybe fit an AUX fag lighter socket in a similar area for charging the tablet.

I have the OBD2 bluetooth jobie already but not the tablet. What software can I run on an xp laptop for free or minimal cost until I get the tablet. Amyone please?

Last edited by Rocket; 16th August 2012 at 14:14..
Old 16th August 2012, 14:41   #4
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

Just as an aside to this, I have long since been trying to work out if I could remove the head unit and all the trimmings off it, right back to the bare case, or even better just the circuit board and inner workings then hide the unit at the back of a 7" tablet.

This to me seems the cheapest option, the steering wheel would work for the radio, and the mode would then switch to CD, which would use the Connects2 for the audio output of the tablet.

It may not be as neat as the double din, but I find the prices of the android units obscene!

the only issues are

1) power on on the headunit would need to be moved to another switch
2) whether the power / audio / GPS cables for the tablet can be fitted plugged in the side neatly without cable damage.

I think the rest of my theory stacks up

Simon
sikelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 20:18   #5
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Id wait a week before getting the Nexus 7. The first batch had horrendous build quality issues, the return rate was over 70% in some stores. I had 3 and returned them all. The newest batches are much improved however.

Once the charging docks are out you can just mount that in the car in some form and dock the tablet i am aware of a guy ion the US who made a custom one from a dock and it looks almost OEM.. I already use my Galaxy Tab 8.9 in my car for many things including Bluetooth audio to the Double Din.
Old 16th August 2012, 21:14   #6
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
Id wait a week before getting the Nexus 7. The first batch had horrendous build quality issues, the return rate was over 70% in some stores. I had 3 and returned them all. The newest batches are much improved however.

Once the charging docks are out you can just mount that in the car in some form and dock the tablet i am aware of a guy ion the US who made a custom one from a dock and it looks almost OEM.. I already use my Galaxy Tab 8.9 in my car for many things including Bluetooth audio to the Double Din.
I was in PC world today and they had none on display so maybe they sold out or sent them back. Either way the next ones in will be new stock. I have read they are selling like hot cakes.

What are the ins and outs of connecting a phone via bluetooth to the tablet and using that setup as an in car phone. I am not a great user of mobile phones and have limited knowlege of their setup but it is another possible use.

Last edited by Rocket; 16th August 2012 at 21:31..
Old 17th August 2012, 09:18   #7
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Not really worth connecting a phone to the tablet for bluetooth audio, better to do that directly to the cars headunit if it supports it. Its not really viable to completely do away with the headunit in a car yet because a tablet wont have the amplification system to make use of the cars speakers without a headunit.

I was considering putting a mount into the eyebrow above the radio and mounting the tablet there, it would block the central vents, but im not too bothered by that.
Old 17th August 2012, 16:19   #8
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
Not really worth connecting a phone to the tablet for bluetooth audio, better to do that directly to the cars headunit if it supports it. Its not really viable to completely do away with the headunit in a car yet because a tablet wont have the amplification system to make use of the cars speakers without a headunit.

I was considering putting a mount into the eyebrow above the radio and mounting the tablet there, it would block the central vents, but im not too bothered by that.
I have my nexus 7 now. They are like gold dust at the moment. I am still finding my way around but it seems like a great bit of kit.

Old 18th August 2012, 21:04   #9
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

The new Nexus 7 is great. I tried google navigation, which is good except you must be online to set up the journey. I now have CoPilot intalled and it seems to do most things I want. Shame about the google as it had voice activation.

I have set up the music player but I have not yet ordered my Connects2 adapter to play through car audio, but I will soon.

I have ordered a mount for the tablet and I rekon I will try to mount it in front the clock with a lead heading for the glove box to the cd player loom. It sits nicely in front of thr gear lever but it is too low and obscured by the gear lever in 1,3 & 5th gear. I don't think charging will bw a problem as the tablet is good for about 8 hours. If it does need charging it just needs a USB adapter in the fag lighter, which I have.

Films play well. I have one downloaded and if you are online you can stream from google.

You tube, flash and Iplayer are available after some fiddling but of course only when on wi fi.

I haven't even tried the OBD2 adapter or torque yet.

But it is looking good. Of course at the end of the journey you just pick it up and use it indoors.

Old 19th August 2012, 11:26   #10
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

Got torque working on the tablet. It was quite easy. I don't have any error codes and I managed to set up the alarm to go off when the coolant reaches a certain temp.