Notices

Old 29th December 2017, 16:26   #11
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
Bit harsh, what do you do for a living? I work in a computer repair shop, you’d be surprised the amount of hard drives that fail after less than 1 year of use. I wasn’t saying to people not to do it, I was just saying if it was important, It has surely got to be worth spending £40 on a drive (which isn’t breaking the bank). Seeing as you’d probably be spending £100+ on a half decent system why not buy a brand new hard drive so you should be set for years. If you were to do this then at least run the hard drive through a full test, checking for bad sectors, if it all passed then you’ll be good to go.

Edit - just checked amazon, a brand new 1TB drive with warranty is £35, surely it’s worth spending an extra £30? If I was buying something important for a car such as breaks and it was £30 more for New instead of second hand, I’d buy new All Day every day
If you had taken the time to read Post#1 you will understand the whole point to my thread/topic and about SAVING MONEY, who said anything about spending £100+ on a system?

If you work in a computer repair shop, then you should know why, and what sort of people/businesses buy these second-hand hard drives. The second-hand market for old and refurbished hard drives is a huge profit making business, surely you should know this.

So why am I even having this discussion?
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2018, 12:38   #12
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Very clever, never thought about the Sky box, I have an older one which is surplus to my requirements and out of date now.

Will have the drive out of it now.
Lucky I read this post.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2018, 00:10   #13
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Great post, I never did get around to ordering 1 of these cheap systems, but I will try and look out for them again, got an old skybox under the bed, and I think I’ve got a spare disc drive in a ‘spare’ PS3 too!
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote