Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th May 2017, 15:00   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default I'm seeing phones on my network

W10, looking at the items on my Network (as I have been doing often, over the past few days due to my readyshare issues) I am seeing numerous different phones modesl show up at the bottom under 'Phones'. There are three at the moment listed there, none of those listed are our phones.

My wifi is locked down with WPA2 and a password I set. As near as I can tell, they don't show up in the list of Attached Devices on either router. Are these passing phones connecting or not?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 05:46   #2
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
W10, looking at the items on my Network (as I have been doing often, over the past few days due to my readyshare issues) I am seeing numerous different phones modesl show up at the bottom under 'Phones'. There are three at the moment listed there, none of those listed are our phones.

My wifi is locked down with WPA2 and a password I set. As near as I can tell, they don't show up in the list of Attached Devices on either router. Are these passing phones connecting or not?
Harry, could it be some of your other equipment like a TV that the router has nothing in it`s listing? and called them phones?
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 07:11   #3
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Post a screenshot so we can see better what you are describing. In any case go change your Wifi password - 10 characters min include capital letters and numbers - randomize it or at least don't use anything like proper words - no 'h4k3r733t' words either! Make sure WPS (wifi protected setup) is turned off on the router: some implementations are easily hacked remotely. Double check that you are using WPA2 only.

Second - are you on BT?

Third: just occurred to me that you may have bluetooth switched on on your PC - are these bluetooth devices that are being seen?

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 08:37   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
Harry, could it be some of your other equipment like a TV that the router has nothing in it`s listing? and called them phones?
Ken.
I did a search for the model it suggested and they are definitely models of phones. All we have TV wise, is the Firestick and that shows as Firestick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post

Post a screenshot so we can see better what you are describing. In any case go change your Wifi password - 10 characters min include capital letters and numbers - randomize it or at least don't use anything like proper words - no 'h4k3r733t' words either! Make sure WPS (wifi protected setup) is turned off on the router: some implementations are easily hacked remotely. Double check that you are using WPA2 only.

Second - are you on BT?

Third: just occurred to me that you may have bluetooth switched on on your PC - are these bluetooth devices that are being seen?
Bluetooth is off.
I'm on Plusnet, but using my own routers.
WPS is set to off on both routers.

Difficult to grab a screen shot, because it would only show an odd one or two and occasionally. None listed at the moment. They are definitely phones, they are listed as HTC???, Vodaphone??? and etc., but strangely none of them are our own phones - which are connected. No Iphone, no Nokia, no Windows phone in the list. There is a regular couple of them which show up, I am assuming they are next door, but most just show for a few seconds. I am sure no one can be hacking in.

We have lots of commuters going past, on their phones. I wonder if it might be listing them as they pass?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 11th May 2017, 09:02   #5
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I did a search for the model it suggested and they are definitely models of phones. All we have TV wise, is the Firestick and that shows as Firestick.

Bluetooth is off.
I'm on Plusnet, but using my own routers.
WPS is set to off on both routers.

Difficult to grab a screen shot, because it would only show an odd one or two and occasionally. None listed at the moment. They are definitely phones, they are listed as HTC???, Vodaphone??? and etc., but strangely none of them are our own phones - which are connected. No Iphone, no Nokia, no Windows phone in the list. There is a regular couple of them which show up, I am assuming they are next door, but most just show for a few seconds. I am sure no one can be hacking in.

We have lots of commuters going past, on their phones. I wonder if it might be listing them as they pass?
Do Plusnet do a sharing thing like BT Fon ? I see school kids sometimes out side with head into phones, Probably have BT at home so they can get online with ......what does it say....5 million places
Good luck though.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 14:15   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
Do Plusnet do a sharing thing like BT Fon ? I see school kids sometimes out side with head into phones, Probably have BT at home so they can get online with ......what does it say....5 million places
Good luck though.
Ken.
I had heard of that, but no idea how it worked, though I notice there is someone local to me with such an access point showing when I do a scan. I would have thought that would only work when the router is BT supplied, neither of mine are.

Old 11th May 2017, 16:38   #7
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

I would be inclined to change to Wi-Fi password and see what happens. If a near neighbour has somehow stumbled onto your network, it should see them off for a bit.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 17:45   #8
Robti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190+,Rover 800 vitesse coupe

Funny I'm in the same position nothing shows up when checking the router but the Pc has started to show miscellaneous phones connecting to my network, but after reading here I seem to remember that virgin( who I am with) started to allow customers to latch onto their routers to get wifi just like bt does.

So I'm of to have a google on this

Update turns out that I'm automatically signed in for this and you have to sign in to your profile and opt out of sharing your wifi.

Will update if I still have this in w10 network

Last edited by Robti; 12th May 2017 at 08:57..
Robti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 08:32   #9
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

What's the best way to check what devices are connected to your network?
Old 12th May 2017, 13:02   #10
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Might be the other way round. There is a setting in W10 to allow it to connect to open hotspots when available.
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote