Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Events and Meets
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th July 2016, 19:53   #1
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts
Default Club invite to Northern Ireland in 2017

After much discussion and with the enthusiasm of many from Pride of Longbridge wanting to visit Northern Ireland for our annual owners day, i'm going to suggest that the dates should be as follows for anyone wanting to visit.

All sorts are wanting to join us now from POL including the organizers and several other key owners who will bring people and cars over.

I will not get involved in bookings of hotels or ferries on behalf of anyone, however if I can get people willing to confirm this week I will speak to one local hotel about a flat rate booking if paid by end of May.

Ferries are varying depending on port you want to use, so i recemmend.

https://www.ferrysavers.co.uk/index....FVWdGwodDRUOwA

Please note I will provide EVERYONE with a map, schedule and full postcodes for sat navs, directions and such should there be a large convoy and risk of separation.

I must 100% insist that everyone bring their drivers license card, MOT certificate, insurance policy certificate and I highly recommend bringing a receipt of proof of road tax. We have a large amount of VOSA around the country in the summer, and they love to target english registration cars as they know its an easy fine for them as the car is needed for return journey (Scum). I will be confirming everyone's MOT before any convoy along with suitability to drive.

This is NOT A DRINKING HOLIDAY. I will not tolerate drink driving, infact I would be the first to report you for it, if you are suspected as being unfit to drive, you will be asked to leave you car behind and share a lift with someone else.

The legal alcohol limit for drivers in Northern Ireland is: 35 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath. 80 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood. 107 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of urine. Basicially 2/3s of a pint of stella will put you over the limit now regardless.

THOSE JOINING US
Colin_NI

Recommended arrival Friday 25th of August 2017 and recommended departing Monday 28th of August 2017.

This would give everyone three nights and two full days visiting Northern Ireland.

I understand budgets will be key here, so i'm aiming to do things as cheap as possible for everyone.

I would highly recommend bookings at the Holiday Inn express at Antrim for the budget conscious, its less than 5 years old and has excellent safe parking. Also it is within walking distance of the local 24 Asda and a petrol station. It is also 25 miles from belfast harbour and about the same from larne harbour, and less than 2 hours drive if you arrive via dublin port. All are straight motorways or dual carriageways linking to it.

During this visit I would suggest the following

Friday 25th

Ferry / weather depending visit the "Dark hedges" for photo shoot opportunity in early evening, this allows everyone to settle into hotels or have a variety of ferry / travel times.

Dark Hedges information

There is a high chance they will become an impassable road in 2018 so this could be your only chance to take a photo of your car there.

Then retire for the evening ready for the next day.

Price £0.00

Saturday 26th

9am start confirm everyone is ready with fuel and cash etc, then at 10am depart to convoy to "The Giants Causeway" or the "Bushmills Distillery" depending on which the group would prefer. Both will cost roughly the same between parking and entry prices. We should arrive before 11am with tours beginning at mid-day however you can purchase tickets and group bookings before hand so its very efficent.

Bushmills tour info

Should Bushmills be choosen, i will arrange for premium parking and photograph locations in front of the facility for the cars as a group.

The bushmills tour can typically take 45 mins and group size around 14 so we may have to split into two groups, so I would safely allow for a maximum of 2 hours here.

Guided tours cost 7.50 pounds per person at a flat rate, however this also includes your choice of sample at the end of the tour (which will keep you under the legal limit for Northern Ireland which is much harsher than the mainland) and i've honestly taken it several times now, it is wonderful, visually and smell wise, its beautiful and the facility is second to none locally for hospitality.

Disability / health / weather concerns

There is some walking, no great distance, less than a 1/2 mile over 40 odd mins and you wont know your doing it, and is fairly accessible for disabled access with save long flat walks, however there is a single walkway in the wrapping factory that would not be suitable for wheelchair access. 80% of the tour is indoors so if the weather is poor this is ideal.

I highly recommend checking out information about the tour in advance.

https://discovernorthernireland.com/...shmills-P1635/

£7.50 per person / free parking

Giants causeway tour info

(the walk down)

The giants causeway is VERY weather dependent to enjoy, parking can be expensive, plus entry to facility and then a steep walk down. Group discounts are available, however parking if the car park is full will often be parking along a winding narrow road beside the facility.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/giants-causeway

There is a very strong descent and climb back up with walking over a distance of about 3/4 mile, there was a disabled access bus last season however im unsure due to recent cut backs it it remains down to the actual "rock face" itself.

The visitors centre contains a cafe, various presentations, shop etc and such about the area, however the walk down to the rocks are unguided.

https://discovernorthernireland.com/Old-Bushmills-Distillery-Bushmills-P1635/

£8.50 per person for entry to visitor centre / parking fees can apply (4 per hour last last season).

Group price of £7.60 per person, however minimum of 14 people per group, must arrive together.

Thoughts

I suggest one or the other as both combined can be expensive, and being aware people with have partners and such with them it can add up quickly.

There again weather dependent, should it be raining I would suggest people have lunch within the Bushmills restaurant as it is very keenly priced and portions are decent.

The choice of either event should then take us to no later than 2pm. At that stage i would then recommend driving from either location to Belfast, to visit the TITANIC museum.

We should arrive no later than 3pm traffic permitting, as its dual carriage way and motorway the whole way there.

Titanic Museum tour info

Unquestionably the best way to experience Titanic heritage and history by the familes that are descendants who built it, this is frankly a stunning and modern museum.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/giants-causeway

Full access, wheelchair ramps and amazing parking, there is some walking inside but warm, indoors and carpeted area. Visiting the SS Nomadic however is outdoors and can be "cool" when a strong wind is blowing.

The visitors centre contains a cafe, various presentations, shop etc and such about the area, however the walk down to the rocks are unguided.

http://titanicbelfast.com/

There are 3 types of tour, however I would recommend the main tour taking 1 hour 30 mins typically, and then visiting the Nomadic taking typically 30 mins or so.

Museum fees - £18 - £20 per person for both sites combined (I can confirm discounts when numbers are confirmed)

Car parking is £1.50 for the first hour and £1 per hour thereafter.

This should safely take everyone up to around 5.30pm, when we can choose to take photos of our cars at the museum, and I will make special arrangements to get access to close proximity of the two large belfast cranes should anyone wish to take photos there.

At that stage it would be touching 6pm, i would recommend that everyone heads back to hotels for either evening meals, washing of cars and perhaps a few drinks in preparation for the next day!! I myself will make sure everyone is sorted and then head home myself.

Sunday 27th August

8th Annual MG ROVER NI meet!

My baby, the biggest MG Rover meet in Ireland annually.

Location - Tollymore Forest Park, Bryansford Road, Newcastle, Co Down, Northern Ireland, BT33 0PW
Date - Sunday the 28th August 2013
Time - 1200 hours to 1630 hours (usually much much later)

This site, would be approx and hour and 20 mins drive from the Antrim Holiday express, so does not require a particularly early start!

A spectacular day out, with cars coming from Cork to Crulmin, from Dublin to Dundonald all joining us on the day, with variety of all sorts welcomed there will be always something special welcome on the day, and with guests from the Pride of Longbridge now attending, everything from a MG SV to some very special cars will be making their debut.

As always full details can be found in the event below.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=254163

Costs for entry into Forrest - Car £4 (regardless of how many in it), pedestrian £2, child 50p (this might change closer to 2017 date)

Please note, I make nothing from this day and all money goes towards the upkeep of the Forrest.

As the event can end anywhere between 5pm and 9pm (yes really), I would not recommend anything else be planned for the day. I would suggest if we manage to book everyone into the Antrim Holiday express that we have a late drink in their reception / bar area however as im always the last to leave Tullymore between rubbish duty, cleaning up and coordinating with wardens I usually dont get home until VERY late.

Last edited by Robson Rover Repair; 23rd April 2017 at 06:02..
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 20:00   #2
keithst24
This is my second home

X Power Grey MGZT 180+ Auto... Bumble & 1.8T Odessey Rover 75 Contemporary SE manual

Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,403 Posts

Sounds good, keep me posted
Born Monday, 16th June 2003 @ 14:30:35
This vehicle was the 9,196th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
This vehicle was the 576th ZT 180 + to be made out of 828
This vehicle was the 871st ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
keithst24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 20:41   #3
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

Never been to NI (or Ireland come to that) and it's a place I'd like to visit. What better excuse is needed for a 'drive out'? Keep me posted too please.
solarsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 23:46   #4
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

That's a good idea, I've been to Belfast twice on day trips from Ayr sailing on the Monas Isle but that was way back when in my teens and before the troubles started.
I would love to come over possibly with the caravan and see some of the lovely sights.
Keep us posted and meantime I will run this past the boss to see what her thoughts are.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 00:06   #5
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

I could possibly be interested too. Easy for me as Cairnryan is only up the road.
All depends on dates, costs and the usual other things, I'll watch with interest though

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 00:15   #6
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Thread moved to a more appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old. This may be the better forum as threads get ‘lost’ very quickly in the General Forum.

Also copied to your Regional meets section

Good luck with the meet

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 06:52   #7
andy willi
I really should get out more.......

PRE LAUNCH 75/ZT 190/XJ 550

you name a date and i will be there will make a week over there as i have never been there just let me know

andy
andy willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 07:07   #8
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Could be interested, as NI is officially part of UK, does this mean I don't need a passport? As I don't have one.
Old 25th July 2016, 21:13   #9
barney bear
This is my second home

rover 75 Connoiseur diesel called Rosey

Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Could be interested, as NI is officially part of UK, does this mean I don't need a passport? As I don't have one.
Just some photo ID will do Rich, I've never had to show a passport to go to either northern or Southern Ireland before mate. Sailed into both Belfast and Dun Laogharie without a problem, apart from the drug dog in the back of my wagon standing all over very expensive hand painted signs
Old 11th August 2016, 20:10   #10
starbug2
This is my second home

Silver Rover 75 Tourer Club SE CDTI + MGF 1.8 in BRG

fair to say when i visited northern Ireland last year we were made most welcome by the locals

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
while you don't need a passport for northern Ireland the ferries seem to want them .

now with 2020 MG ZS 1Lt TURBO engine with automatic 6 speed gearbox to help keep the 75 and MG F going as long as possible

Last edited by Dragrad; 13th January 2017 at 03:30.. Reason: Consecutive posts, please use the edit or multi-quote options ;-)
starbug2 is offline   Reply With Quote