Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th May 2017, 18:17   #1
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Speakers measurements

Hello guys, I know that for our 75's, 165mm speakers would fit, but can anybody explain to me what exactly this measurement is? Is it the outer diameter (the farthest apart 2 points on the speaker)? Is it the distance between the screws where they would be fixed on the door? I am asking because I want to buy 4 speakers with an amp and a subwoofer and I have seen 165mm speakers but there was another size, I can't exactly remember, about 143mm or something, so are they 165 or 143mm and what are those measurements?

And another question, if I change the speakers do I have to change the wires that lead to my double din unit, or would the original ones that came from factory do the job? And also if I'd have to change them maybe you know a good how to with pics, thank you.
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 18:25   #2
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Somebody??
Old 1st June 2017, 11:03   #3
Seanalf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
Hello guys, I know that for our 75's, 165mm speakers would fit, but can anybody explain to me what exactly this measurement is? Is it the outer diameter (the farthest apart 2 points on the speaker)? Is it the distance between the screws where they would be fixed on the door? I am asking because I want to buy 4 speakers with an amp and a subwoofer and I have seen 165mm speakers but there was another size, I can't exactly remember, about 143mm or something, so are they 165 or 143mm and what are those measurements?

And another question, if I change the speakers do I have to change the wires that lead to my double din unit, or would the original ones that came from factory do the job? And also if I'd have to change them maybe you know a good how to with pics, thank you.
I changed mine for a set of components recently. I bought some Edge from ebay (£20). I went for 6.5" in old money and that's the size. Just be aware that once you get the old ones out, you may have to make a couple of screw holes in the plastic mount for the new ones as the originals have screw holders that form out (it'll make sense once you see them).

Original cable is fine, it's the original head units that are weak. If you are replacing that, happy days, if not you may find very little difference. Depending on the spec of your car, you may have front only, or front and back tweeters. These work well, all I had to do was wire in the little supplied cross overs into the tweeters and all was good.

Be prepared, buy a packet of door card clips as once you remove them, some will break. Get some bullet connectors to splice the wiring together, much tidier and easier to put the old ones back in if you sell the car and want to keep the speakers.

Door card removal https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=79190

Hope this helps

Born; Wednesday, 3rd October 2001 @ 16:00:16
The 34,336th 75 to run off the production line of 112,381
This was the 4,730th 75 CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 10,898
This was the 2,647th 75 in White Gold Metallic (code: GMN) to be made out of 12,251 White Gold Metallic 75s

To do
MK2 dials with IPK, FBH repair, headlining repair (again!) and some cosmetics.
Seanalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 16:56   #4
meterman66
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conny SE Starlight Silver

Default The Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanalf View Post
I changed mine for a set of components recently. I bought some Edge from ebay (£20). I went for 6.5" in old money and that's the size. Just be aware that once you get the old ones out, you may have to make a couple of screw holes in the plastic mount for the new ones as the originals have screw holders that form out (it'll make sense once you see them).

Original cable is fine, it's the original head units that are weak. If you are replacing that, happy days, if not you may find very little difference. Depending on the spec of your car, you may have front only, or front and back tweeters. These work well, all I had to do was wire in the little supplied cross overs into the tweeters and all was good.

Be prepared, buy a packet of door card clips as once you remove them, some will break. Get some bullet connectors to splice the wiring together, much tidier and easier to put the old ones back in if you sell the car and want to keep the speakers.

Door card removal https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=79190

Hope this helps
Hi

What did the edge speakers sound like??

Did you drive them from just the head unit or seperate amp?

TIA

Col
meterman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 17:03   #5
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Seanalf thank you very much for your help but I think you didn't properly read my question, I know what the right measurement is, but I don't actually know what the measurement is, which one it is to be more exact.
Old 1st June 2017, 18:27   #6
Seanalf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connie

Quote:
Seanalf thank you very much for your help but I think you didn't properly read my question, I know what the right measurement is, but I don't actually know what the measurement is, which one it is to be more exact.
I would say the outer diameter of the circular part of the speaker, or mine wouldn't have fitted due to the screw holes being outside the diameter.

This was the 2,647th 75 in White Gold Metallic (code: GMN) to be made out of 12,251 White Gold Metallic 75s

To do
Old 1st June 2017, 18:29   #7
Seanalf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connie

Quote:
Originally Posted by meterman66 View Post
Hi

What did the edge speakers sound like??

Did you drive them from just the head unit or seperate amp?

TIA

Col
Hi buddy, they are nice, very bassy. I fitted rear tweeters and get some light sound from the rear with the deeper sound from the front. All driven through a standard Pioneer head unit, no amp as I'm 49 lol

To do
Old 8th June 2017, 19:53   #8
meterman66
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conny SE Starlight Silver

Default The edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanalf View Post
Hi buddy, they are nice, very bassy. I fitted rear tweeters and get some light sound from the rear with the deeper sound from the front. All driven through a standard Pioneer head unit, no amp as I'm 49 lol
I'm 50 but if it's too loud you're to old lol

Just fitted a sub in the boot driven by an amp and it does completely enhance the bass from whatever music your listening to.

Makes a huge difference to sound quality at low(ish) volume levels.

I too want to upgrade front door components on a budget so was keen to hear about the edge speakers any chance of a link etc??

Thanks

Col
meterman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2018, 04:50   #9
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

So, after 1 year (lol) I decided to upgrade the original speakers to a pair of Hertz DSK 165.3 (80 rms per speaker) in the front and one pair of Hertz DCX 165.3 (60 rms per speaker) in the rear. I have an android 5.1 head unit with a max of 45 rms per channel output, the speakers made a big improvement overall but I still notice that I can't get the most out of them without an amp and I decided to buy one for them. The amp comes with a wiring kit, but what about the speaker wires? How do I know if I have to replace the original wiring of the speakers or not to get the most out of them? And how do I connect the head unit to the amp? As far as I know the head unit is connected to the amp through RCA outputs which would go to the amp, right?

Last edited by Rsnail; 4th July 2018 at 07:42..
Old 4th July 2018, 18:25   #10
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
So, after 1 year (lol) I decided to upgrade the original speakers to a pair of Hertz DSK 165.3 (80 rms per speaker) in the front and one pair of Hertz DCX 165.3 (60 rms per speaker) in the rear. I have an android 5.1 head unit with a max of 45 rms per channel output, the speakers made a big improvement overall but I still notice that I can't get the most out of them without an amp and I decided to buy one for them. The amp comes with a wiring kit, but what about the speaker wires? How do I know if I have to replace the original wiring of the speakers or not to get the most out of them? And how do I connect the head unit to the amp? As far as I know the head unit is connected to the amp through RCA outputs which would go to the amp, right?
Hi,

Get yourself a male to female iso adaptor lead from Halfords/internet etc.

Disconnect the speaker section of the iso connector in the car from the head unit then cut the adaptor lead you have bought in half. Then wire up the speaker wires in your wiring kit from your amps speaker connections and splice/graft the half you require from your cut adaptor onto the ends of the speaker wires from your amp.
Then simply plug this adaptor into the car iso and there you have your amp running to the speakers.

After that its a case of connecting the phono rca leads from your head units front and rear audio out rca sockets to the amp and a remote wire from the head unit remote out to the remote in of the amp. Then the power and earth cables from your wiring kit to a suitable earth and the positive to the battery or fuse box if only a low powered amp.
Job done

Last edited by coolcat; 4th July 2018 at 18:32..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote