Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Events and Meets
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th April 2017, 18:00   #1
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

Default Some thoughts on PoL

Just got home from PoL - weather was lovely with only a few clouds, though as we were on a hillside, it did get a bit nippy when the wind picked up. Still, weather like this can't be complained about especially after last year's snow!

Not sure what happened trying to get into the park in the morning: I arrived at the park around 9:40 but it took an hour to get into the park causing everyone to queue on the roads around - anyone know what the delay was? Speaking of queues, there was a bit of one for the 'thunderbox' style toilets, though they didn't smell and as far as I'm aware, didn't run out of water to flush with, which I was pleasantly surprised by especially given there must have been a few thousand people there. There was even queues for the burger/coffee vans, though at the prices being charged (£4.50 for just a burger, £3 for coffee or just chips) I assume they were queuing to photograph the price list!

As for the cars themselves, there were some real beauties there and it was clear many of them were cherished by their owners, whilst others such as my own were more 'daily driver' types replete with battle scars and other such imperfections. There were quite a few too, several hundred at least from an ancient thing with a starting handle at the front, to the latest Chinese MG wotsit, and probably most numerous of all, the 75/ZT models, though there were even a few rarities of these such as the Q-plated coupe. Wish I'd take some photos!

On the way home it struck me that although I'd been passed by many Rovers both there and back, they were all ones at PoL - I realised I hadn't actually seen any Rovers just pottering around on the 70miles each way, and that with a comment from another one of our members about there being hardly any vintage Rovers brought home to me the fact that our cars are now disappearing forever. Only a few years ago I'd have seen at least a few Rovers out and about wherever I went, but time it seems is picking them off like old relations and I suspect PoL in five years could be very much smaller. Even Fauna - as our family calls her - probably won't last more than another few years as she increasingly needs welding and mechanical repairs to get through the MOT each time. I do like driving her and she's got real character that modern cars simply don't have, but money is finite and eventually there'll come a time when she's simply not worth (to me) the cost of the repairs. In the meantime though, if you've not attended a meet before, please do try at least one whilst you still can - just make sure to take your camera and a picnic!
Old 16th April 2017, 08:47   #2
LotusLC
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi Auto / ZT-T Trophy Blue

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,238 Posts

If i go next year i will be getting there a bit earlier than we did. we did not get parked up till 11, as the traffic was so busy entering the showground.
I was surprised so many people left quite early, but guess they wanted to beat the mad rush at the end.... All in all it was a very good day

https://i.imgur.com/Cwa3376m.jpg

Last edited by LotusLC; 16th April 2017 at 10:48..
LotusLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2017, 10:01   #3
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLC View Post
If i go next year i will be getting there a bit earlier that we did. we did not get parked up till 11, as the traffic was so busy entering the showground.
I was surprised so many people left quite early, but guess they wanted to beat the mad rush at the end.... All in all it was a very good day
I think you need to aim to get there at 9.00 or just after - I got there about 9.15 and only had about a 10 minute queue to get in. I also spotted the 22 area sign from the queue, so cut straight across the grass to get there, without waiting to be sent all round the park by the marshalls ! You can also avoid part of the queue if you come the back way through Barnt Green and Kendal End (B4120) off the M42, and then up Graveley lane, rather than carrying on through Hopwood.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2017, 10:21   #4
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Never encountered a queue to get out (been going since 2014), but getting in is a different matter. Always surprised how early folk leave - I am usually the last car in the car park! Perhaps, as it is advertised as 10 - 4pm, they think they have to be off site by that time. The gates do not close until dusk!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2017, 10:24   #5
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Might be wrong but Gary probably approached Cofton Park from M5 junction 4.

The delays in getting in are all rather down to the fact two entrances are used that then funnel the traffic to a crossroads on the park that then in turn creates a tailback.

I arrived before 0830, as I wasn't in an MGR vehicle I parked on Lowhill Lane, the marshalls were already allowing cars onto the park, so my advice is arrive as early as possible.
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2017, 11:42   #6
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

We arrived at 10.45 and drove straight in
Old 16th April 2017, 12:22   #7
kbonney88
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer & 75 Saloons

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady zed View Post
true - we came off at J4 M5.. was behind a ZS.. and was waved straight into the park at the gate oppsite the MG factory sign at about 10:45..

kbonney88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2017, 19:13   #8
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady zed View Post
Trust me to arrive at the worst time of day, 45 mins in queue (metro behind me disappeared in a cloud of steam just as we got into the park). Lesson learnt just dont arrive between 9 and 10
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 20:50   #9
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

I waited about 45 min to get in but it didn't bother me too much as it was great to see all these wonderful cars in traffic.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote