Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st March 2017, 00:57   #1
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Default Front knock

Upon braking I can hear a distinct knocking. Its bad. As soon as I put brakes on its there. Brakes full on hard no knocking.

Tested twice test 1, slow and easy to supermarket, damn thing isnt doing it. Brakes on lightly and it knocks, just like you have something stuck in your tread but louder. Foot off pedal and you can hear it still just not so bad.

Test 2 picked son up from work slight vibration through steering circa 65 mph. Dies away slower you get and that damn click click clicks there. Hit brakes and its clunk clunk clunk. Foot off pedal and its there in the background.

What Ive done recently. Track rod ends due to loose steering and tramlining. Drop links are new as is front suspension and struts bearings etc. But, Ive new rubber on front wheels; rear tyres needed replacing and to have the newer rubber on front I swapped the wheels over? Could also be a duff engine mount to but hey what do I know I fix computers not cars....lol. Lastly brakes need replacing as lgiht was on and caliper jammed melting the warning cable. Caliper changed(ty Bill Coleman of Bournemouth) and awaiting new pads and discs which I have. Window down brakes at front are squeeling a bit.
lionatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 13:16   #2
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Have alos just noticed that theres a clicking sound as I drive along. From being in the cab it sounds centralised but opening window makes it sound as if its on the offside wheel. Turns into clinking/clunking upon braking.
Old 21st March 2017, 13:26   #3
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionatus View Post
Have alos just noticed that theres a clicking sound as I drive along. From being in the cab it sounds centralised but opening window makes it sound as if its on the offside wheel. Turns into clinking/clunking upon braking.
Get your discs and pads changed and check the calipers are moving freely on the guide pins (clean and grease them with brake grease). It sounds like something brake-related - loose pad/pad material separated/ warped disc/sticking caliper or something stuck behind the brake disc shields.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 13:33   #4
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionatus View Post
Lastly brakes need replacing as lgiht was on and caliper jammed melting the warning cable. Caliper changed(ty Bill Coleman of Bournemouth) and awaiting new pads and discs which I have. Window down brakes at front are squeeling a bit.
Sounds like something is fowling the brakes/discs, or worn or damaged.
Its worth checking immediately, or pop the car in at a local fast-fit for a quick inspection, better to be safe than sorry.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 16:31   #5
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

See if there is play between the outer shaft and cup on the inner CV joints... (next to GB)
Old 28th March 2017, 20:04   #6
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Ive just done the brakes, no difference. Whilst under the car as I'd forgotten the caliper pin covers(replacing them I mean) I saw why Im getting a knock. The aircon pump pulleys rusted and fallen apart. The main pulley parts fine but it has a lip away from the central spgot and thats rusted through and is hanging proud. Obviously the faster I drive the faster it gets rotated. So sourcing an aircon pump to replace and will be cutting this loose metal off asap.

But brakes done and Baufix rust/metal protection painted up. So nice and tidy and no more braking worries although the pedal does feel a lot lighter now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
Get your discs and pads changed and check the calipers are moving freely on the guide pins (clean and grease them with brake grease). It sounds like something brake-related - loose pad/pad material separated/ warped disc/sticking caliper or something stuck behind the brake disc shields.

Pete
Old 30th March 2017, 19:10   #7
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Brakes done and everything hunky dory but the knocks from the air con compressor itself. As mentioned its jameed and has rusted away with the outer friction ring spinning around loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post

Pete
Old 30th March 2017, 20:04   #8
hinged_bap
Gets stuck in

75 CDT Conn SE Auto saloon

I had something very very similar to this and at similar speeds. At first i thought it was warped discs, changed them along with new pads and still the same. It was tracked down to the inner tie rod ball joints. Both sides had play in them. Once changed ( I used VW sharran ones made by MOOG ) it went.

PS: I mention the make of inner tied rod I fitted this time round because the time before that, I fitted TAZU ones and they didn't last long at all. If you do change yours for VW/an alernative one(s) check the thread length that screws into the rack.

see post 2 here for alternatives.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru....php?p=2265397

Last edited by hinged_bap; 30th March 2017 at 20:19..
hinged_bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 20:43   #9
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Possible separation of the friction material on the pad from its backing?
Old 30th March 2017, 22:07   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Possible separation of the friction material on the pad from its backing?
I think he has already fixed it.-----------------------------------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote