Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th June 2019, 08:22   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Diversity in Employment

There was an article on the news this morning citing the fact that the employment of train drivers was not diverse enough. What they were saying was that the majority of drivers were white male and over thirty years old.

I took a train drivers test course some years back, because I had the chance, was interested and luckily for me, not needing employment.

Twenty-eight participants and we had already had to study a book they had sent us, and there were people from several cultures and of various colours, no women.

I spoke with the examiners several times and established that no women actually applied.

I was the last man standing, white male and over thirty years old, but then I dipped out on the last test involving reaction and recognition under pressure; I was informed that a chap on the last course, in the same position and failing had been a helicopter pilot.

People bang on about the lack of diversity in employment but surely, if people cannot pass the test, that should be where it stops? I dread to think what these "helpful" types would propose as a solution.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote