Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th July 2018, 12:41   #1
Dave-M
Avid contributor

ZT-T 135

Default Ouch!

Not a good start to the day

Stopped at a set of lights behind a road sweeper truck when the driver decided to stick it into reverse. Only the bumper plastics damaged but will have to wait and see what the insurers make of it...

Dave-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2018, 13:34   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Oh no! That’s not good, watch the insurers as I’m sure they will try and write it off.
Old 17th July 2018, 13:40   #3
HenryD
Loves to post

MG ZTT

Rimmers list the front bumper at £406 pounds,adding paint and labour will double that so may be worth settling claim and fixing it yourself to stop ins writing the car off
Old 17th July 2018, 14:27   #4
Dave-M
Avid contributor

ZT-T 135

Yes, even just a bumper puts it into that 'will they / won't they' range. Would have preferred to sort it without getting the insurers involved but their transport manager just went straight down the insurance route. Good job I've got dashcam footage of the truck reversing so they can't claim I drove into the back on it.
Old 17th July 2018, 15:08   #5
ratchet
Posted a thing or two

ZT-T + CTDI

They tried to write ours off due to a damaged front bumper. If I remember correctly the repair quote was around £1300.

Don't hand over the keys or the documents - and let them know that you'll take a cash in lieu settlement.

I got a replacement bumper from Cossie in the correct colour, and half an hour later the job was a goodun
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2018, 17:43   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
Rimmers list the front bumper at £406 pounds,adding paint and labour will double that so may be worth settling claim and fixing it yourself to stop ins writing the car off
Why would he have to do that? The car looks in good condition,and therefore is worth more than the average dump you get on eBay. The longer we accept rubbish valuations off the insurance companies, the more they will just give you an unfair decision. Tell them to find you a car in as good condition as yours is for the (possible ) idiotic value put on your car.
Old 17th July 2018, 18:17   #7
Dave-M
Avid contributor

ZT-T 135

I'll certainly be pushing to get it fixed and if that fails I want a good payout for it. It's got 170k on the clock and a few marks here and there but it's been well looked after, had the clutch done, both rear arms, and all the other usual bits. It's also got a really good spec for a ZT - intelligence pack, traction control, cruise, ATC, full heated leather, powerfolds, xenons, hairpins and satnav. So no, not your average ebay rubbish.
Old 17th July 2018, 19:54   #8
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Why would he have to do that? The car looks in good condition,and therefore is worth more than the average dump you get on eBay. The longer we accept rubbish valuations off the insurance companies, the more they will just give you an unfair decision. Tell them to find you a car in as good condition as yours is for the (possible ) idiotic value put on your car.

Because that's what insurance companies will do - as I mentioned on the 'New Generation' thread this is why I am very reluctant to spend a lot of money on a daily driver 75/ZT. That damage is nothing but I bet the first response from the insurance company is to write it off
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2018, 21:19   #9
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I take it you have kept the receipts for all the recent parts and work you have done to it. If they can find you the same model/ spec in equivalent condition for less money than the repairs good for them. If their replacement hasn't had the work done that yours has, add that into their costings, and they should quickly realise that repairing yours is the cheaper option. Anyway, it's the sweepers fault, not yours, so their insurers can't call the tune. Stick to your guns!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 22:14   #10
Dave-M
Avid contributor

ZT-T 135

So after a few days I got the call I was half expecting... Beyond economic repair.

But after speaking to the assessor they've agreed to a cash in lieu settlement so I keep the car, it doesn't get a marker against it and I get a decent cash sum to pay for the repairs. So pretty happy with that. All I need now is a decent front bumper in XPG/LEF so if anyone's got one please let me know